Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Request to Study HOV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request to Study HOV
    Posted: 17 Aug 2003 at 5:39am
The following email was sent to me for posting on the website:

Dr. Gridlock,

I live in Fredericksburg & commute to the Pentagon. I have been using the HOV lanes since July 2000, & the change in the amount of traffic & congestion has increased dramatically.

The "1998 Performance of Regional High-Occupancy Vehicle Facilities on Interstate Highways in the Washington Region, An Analysis of Person and Vehicle Volumes, April 21, 1999" reported "HOV facilities are currently operating at a high level of service, and providing substantial time savings relative to alternative LOV facilities. Expressed on a per-mile basis, the savings range from approximately 0.5 minutes per mile to just over 1.4 minutes per mile. For travelers making use of the full length of these facilities, the savings range from 5 to 12 minutes on I-270, from 17 to 28 minutes on I-66, and from 34 to 39 minutes on I-95/I-395". I would like your help/guidance in getting VDOT to initiate a new survey/analysis. Based on the increased amount of traffic over the last few years & the "new" higher speed limit in the HOV lanes, I'm sure that their estimate is no longer valid.

Additionally, I think VDOT did a survey/analysis back in the late 90's concerning extending the HOV lanes, past route 17, yet short of crossing the Rappahannock. It was decided that it would save a modest 7-10 minutes (if I remember correctly), & was therefore ruled not necessary. Again, I would like your help/guidance in getting VDOT to initiate a new survey/analysis, based on the increased amount of traffic over the last few years (Personal Observation/Slower speeds than posted), the new route 610 (Garrison Road) mall, & the new Stafford airport. Both of these new additions, will substantially increase congestion at their exits. Today the exits for Triangle, Quantico, route 610 & route 17 drastically reduce the speed of motorists due to inconsiderate drivers that slow down to make late lane changes, which results in congestion on the roads & backs up traffic onto the I-95 exit lanes, often for miles. What with the above & the "new" higher speed limit in the HOV lanes I'm sure that their estimate is no longer valid. I would expect that the time savings will approximate that mentioned in the above Analysis, if not better it. That means an additional 35-45 minute savings for HOV users that travel beyond the current merge.

Your assistance in airing this idea & getting VDOT to initiate a new survey/analysis is appreciated!

I have attached the e-mail link to the above referenced analysis, below.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/DC_Area_HOV_Study.html

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 6:23pm
This is a great letter! The daily gring you experience at the end of the HOV lanes is mind numbing! Used to be it only happend every once in a while but for the last several months it seems that every day it is terrible. Makes you want to take the train on Fridays! Who in their right mind cant see the need to extend the HOV past 17! However our lawmakers will have to study for several more years before they act. Also, now that I am venting......thanks to the construction on the RT 630 exit! It was always bad turning left on 630 from the south bound lanes but now they have made it terrible for everybody closing off half the exit ramp! Just gets better and better!
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 6:34pm
I wonder whether extending reversible HOV lanes farther and farther south is truly the best alternative or whether we would be better off with a Garden State Parkway-style express/local configuration (in place from a bit south of the Red Bank/Rumson area up to the Driscoll Bridge), or a New Jersey Turnpike-style car/truck configuration, either of which would use a full quad-carriageway arrangement instead of the triple-carriageway arrangement in place from the Pentagon to the Dumfries exit. If you truly limit the exits on the express roadway, it sorts out the traffic a bit better by ensuring that short-hop traffic stays in the local lanes (you also have to limit the slip ramps between the lanes, something Maryland failed to do on I-270). VDOT is planning to use the car/truck design when I-81 is rebuilt.

The biggest reason why I wonder about extending the reversible lanes too far is that you begin to have to lengthen the period during which the lanes are fully closed or largely inaccessible in order to allow more and more time for traffic to clear out before the reversal. Having a dual-carriageway HOV, i.e., 24-hour HOV in each direction, sounds better but would be impractical because of a lack of usage in the non-peak direction, at least on I-95.
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 7:35pm
Well Something has to be done. VDOT can't keep on sitting on this!
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2003 at 2:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by tdar20
[br]This is a great letter! The daily gring you experience at the end of the HOV lanes is mind numbing! Used to be it only happend every once in a while but for the last several months it seems that every day it is terrible. Makes you want to take the train on Fridays! Who in their right mind cant see the need to extend the HOV past 17! However our lawmakers will have to study for several more years before they act. Also, now that I am venting......thanks to the construction on the RT 630 exit! It was always bad turning left on 630 from the south bound lanes but now they have made it terrible for everybody closing off half the exit ramp! Just gets better and better!

Have you noticed that ALL of Stafford County seems to be in the grips of road construction?? There's the point you mentioned, the Rt. 630 exit off of 95, there's the mess going on with Garrisonville Road with the new shopping venues that we just HAD to have and then yesterday I sat on Jeff. Davis Hwy (south of Eskimo Hill Road) for about 20 + minutes while they piddled with contruction there!! What's going on!?!?! On one hand, I can't wait for it to be over, on the other, I know that next year will bring it's batch of new construction areas. It just seems like all the big ones this year are like the VISA card....EVERYWHERE I NEED TO BE!!!!! Oh, the frustration!! [:(!]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic