Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What isn't understood about I'll take two?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joescholar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 8:02am
Here is my simple response of why I prefer not to take 3.
I do not like turning my car into a "lowrider". Even though I
have a midsize sedan, it "bottoms out" more often with 3 or more
people when I hit a dip in the road. Thats the worst feeling. I've seen when a third person has entered a car, and the whole car seemed to have scraped the ground with all the weight.

Thats my main reason, and I'm not afraid to tell them, No!
ARB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 2:40pm
I drive a SUV and as a rule I will only pickup two slugs. ALSO I want them both to sit in the back. I feel really uncomfortable when strangers are close to me. I often get a weird look when I ask both slugs to get in the back but they shrug and get on in.

I've found that the Pentagon sluggers are notorious for snide remarks when I decline to pick up three of them. I don't mind confrontation (at all) so I am quick to give the person a DEFENSIVE reply of "BECAUSE I SIMPLY DON"T WANT TO -- IS THERE A PROBLEM?!"

brian1001001 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1001001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 4:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by joescholar
[br]Here is my simple response of why I prefer not to take 3.
I do not like turning my car into a "lowrider". Even though I
have a midsize sedan, it "bottoms out" more often with 3 or more
people when I hit a dip in the road. Thats the worst feeling. I've seen when a third person has entered a car, and the whole car seemed to have scraped the ground with all the weight.

Thats my main reason, and I'm not afraid to tell them, No!

Just a thought, but you might want to get your suspension checked. Three human beings shouldn't drag your car so low, unless they all look like me. . .

_b
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 11:46am
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]mirangus - I've been slugging from 610 (to the Pentagon) for almost 3 years and haven't heard anything like that. Which line do you use?

Believe it or not, same line!! I never heard the comments until I slugged in myself (didn't drive). There was one morning where mob mentality took over and all sorts of folks were cursing the plight of "oh-so-rude" SUV drivers that wouldn't take three. Now, granted, it was a slow day, but this type of conversation is still discouraging when there is supposed to be a strong air of courtesy existing to make slug lines work. Not to mention patience. Does this mean everytime I pull up in my Explorer, people are going to bad mouth me if I'm in a hurry and can't make the extra stop in the morning? Or my vehicle has too much stuff inside and a third passenger would not be feasible? That doesn't do anything for me except make me less willing to pick up three, even if I can!!
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 2:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]mirangus - I've been slugging from 610 (to the Pentagon) for almost 3 years and haven't heard anything like that. Which line do you use?

Believe it or not, same line!! I never heard the comments until I slugged in myself (didn't drive). There was one morning where mob mentality took over and all sorts of folks were cursing the plight of "oh-so-rude" SUV drivers that wouldn't take three. Now, granted, it was a slow day, but this type of conversation is still discouraging when there is supposed to be a strong air of courtesy existing to make slug lines work. Not to mention patience. Does this mean everytime I pull up in my Explorer, people are going to bad mouth me if I'm in a hurry and can't make the extra stop in the morning? Or my vehicle has too much stuff inside and a third passenger would not be feasible? That doesn't do anything for me except make me less willing to pick up three, even if I can!!

I would just make a sign that says

Pentagon (or whatever your destination)
2 Riders
Only

and flash it when I drove up.

Wouldn't even concern myself about it.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 11:32am
There are several issues here: 1. Driver sets the rules, 2. Car capacity, and 3. Slug Etiquette.

1. Driver set the rules; if the driver wants a certain # of riders, its their preference. No issue here, anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to ride with that driver.
2. Car capacity; most mid-sized sedans and many SUVs have a maximum weight capacity. A common max capacity for mid sized cars is 850lbs.(check you owners manual). Three 200+lb adults + cargo, and anything in the trunk will get you there pretty quick. Worn shocks reduce that capacity. SUVs may or may not have more capacity. When in doubt, see #1.
3. Slug Etiquette; If you are the only car on a rainy morning and there's a long line of folks waiting, drivers; think with your heart. If there are cars behind you, take the riders you need and leave riders for the car behind you. When in doubt, see #1.

Riders who disagree: you don't have to ride, really, its voluntary.
Riders who agree: your welcome for the ride, remember to thank your driver.

There's no harm in asking anyway, don't forget to say "Good Morning!" to your fellow slugger. Let's keep in perspective folks.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 12:21pm

I would just make a sign that says

Pentagon (or whatever your destination)
2 Riders
Only

and flash it when I drove up.

Wouldn't even concern myself about it.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Sign or no sign, you'd still get asked to take a third. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind taking third, I just don't want to feel like the scum of the earth if I have to say no. Peer pressure is a terrible thing.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 12:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
...I don't mind taking third, I just don't want to feel like the scum of the earth if I have to say no. Peer pressure is a terrible thing.

I agree that riders shouldn't make drivers feel bad about not taking an extra, because guilt can be self-generating [:)] . I got my first request to take a third person this morning (I usually ride rather than drive), and I felt bad that I hadn't cleaned out the space for a third rider. Granted, it was just 6:00, and cars were lined up behind me, but I still felt I should have planned ahead. Ain't guilt fun?
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 3:16pm
I agree with those who say take a third, and those who say no. Bottom line is, it's up to the driver. But, I have also been put in uncomfortable situations when the people behind me whisper "Ask them if they will take a third." I don't know about others, but when I'm first or second in line, and based on all the reading I've done here on the website, I do not ask (for the people behind me), if they will take a third. Now if I'm the third person, and I MUST be getting home for whatever, then I may ask FOR ME. This way, if refused, no hard feelings on my part because I know the "ROS" (Rules of Slugging). Selfish...I think not. Just playing by the rules...the driver's rules. Chow!
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2003 at 6:22pm
My wife and I drive together and everytime we pick up a slug at Route 3, we get not one but 2. I don't even have time to say anything. We drive a Focus and I have to have the seat back all the way too but doesn't stop them from coming in and it's going to stop when I pick up next time. I don't care if it's raining or not. I'm not about to drive for an hour or so with a knee in my back. I have a few other things to say but I'll save that for another topic I'm about to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic