Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Hours w/ HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17 Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging Hours w/ HOT Lanes
    Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:22am
A friend and I were chatting the other day and it occurred to us with the HOT Lanes coming that the window for slugging would be much greater in the morning and afternoon since they are on a 24 hour toll system. Anyone have any thoughts on how the slugging hours will be impacted? I am assuming earlier rides in the morning and afternoon with later rides in the evening as well.
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:50am
Since the HOT system will be 24/7 I think it will make Slugs a commodity and prove to be greater incentive for people to use slugs at all hours of the day. Additionally, the clean fuel exemptions are going away and those individuals will also have to pick up slugs. Finally, the extension should make slugging more viable for folks all the way down to Fredericksburg.

KeithO
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 4:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by KeithO

Since the HOT system will be 24/7 I think it will make Slugs a commodity and prove to be greater incentive for people to use slugs at all hours of the day. Additionally, the clean fuel exemptions are going away and those individuals will also have to pick up slugs. Finally, the extension should make slugging more viable for folks all the way down to Fredericksburg.

KeithO

Not quite. The clean fuel exemption is NOT going away. It just doesn't apply in the toll lanes. It will remain alive and well on both I-395 north of Edsall Rd and on I-66 inside the beltway during commuting hours.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:01pm
The real question will be how long it takes people to adjust. In other words, the established "slugging hours" have been around for a long time, so it's understandable why people will be reluctant to try to slug outside those times for fear of not getting a ride. If riders don't show up at the slug lines, drivers won't go to the trouble to try to pick them up. But it makes a lot of sense for the hours to expand within reason. For example, there are a lot of people commuting at 7:00 PM or so. If slugs can be confident drivers will swing past the slug lines, there'd be a good incentive for them to head to the lines at 7:00 instead of opting for the Metro or the bus or whatever. But if drivers don't show up, then riders won't either.

All of that is subject to reasonableness, of course. Realistically, you're not going to find many people looking for slug rides at 8:30 PM, for example. Sure, there are always people who have to work late for whatever reason, but the law of averages simply suggests it's never going to make sense for many riders to head out to the lines at later hours like that, especially in bad weather or cold weather.

It's not going to be an easy adjustment. Perhaps it's something the Post's Dr. Gridlock might be interested in writing about to try to call attention to the issue. I doubt many slug riders and drivers have considered the point.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 10:14am
I think it is something that those in the "slugging community" need to self promote. For example, I only drive in on Fridays but because I am in No. Va. until well after 6:00 pm I don't pick up slugs but take the HOV home. I know that little privilege will end once the 'free' aspect of the HOV lanes disappears. I refuse to pay the toll and would be willing to drive up to the Pentagon from Duke St. to pick up slugs if I knew there were people looking for rides. Perhaps until things adjust it will become necessary to have a section on this board for people to post if they are looking for rides after the more 'accepted' hours.
taxman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 2:37pm
I'm all for a forum for drivers to communicate with potential slugs and vice versa. Once the HOT lanes take effect slugging won't be limited to the 3:30-6 PM hours. Same with in the morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic