Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging from NW DC to Rolling Valley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natsslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging from NW DC to Rolling Valley
    Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 12:25pm
I just started slugging in August from Rolling Valley to NW DC (specifically the west end, in between foggy bottom & dupont cir). Slugging in the AM is great, as there are lots of various drop-off options.

PM slugging has been a bit more difficult. I am about an 8 min walk away from Foggy Bottom. The problem is trying to catch a blue line train to the Pentagon is hellish, now that the trains are 12 min apart during rush hour. Add on delays, and I've had to wait as long as 14 minutes for a blue line train. Plus, once you get to the Pentagon slug line, Sydenstricker tends to dominate and it can be a wait to get to RV.

The earliest I can leave work is generally around 5 PM, and that doesn't give me enough time to get to the Rosslyn line, so that's out of the question.

Therefore, I'm looking into viable PM slug lines that are in DC.

-- The 19th & F line is about a 20 min walk. How late does this run? Is 5:20 to 5:30 too late or can you still catch a ride? This website says the best hours are 4:15 - 5:00 p.m., so I'm wondering what it's like beyond that.

-- The 14th & H line is only two stops away from Foggy Bottom (with more frequent trains than headed into VA). How active is this stop?

If anyone has any other alternative ideas on the best ways to get to Rolling Valley from the west end of town, I'd appreciate your advice. Metro's reduced service on the blue line has really helped screw things up.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:07am
First, let me say that 14th and H is dead.

Second, as for 19th & F, with the HOT lanes starting on the 29th, normal slugging hours go out the window. My guess would be that after the 29th, you should be fine getting a ride if you get there at 5:20.
natsslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natsslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 2:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

First, let me say that 14th and H is dead.

Second, as for 19th & F, with the HOT lanes starting on the 29th, normal slugging hours go out the window. My guess would be that after the 29th, you should be fine getting a ride if you get there at 5:20.

Thank you very much! Very helpful. Are you able to tell me generally what the slugging hours are at 19&F, prior to HOT lanes? I assume it will be a bit of a transition when the HOT lanes go into effect, and I'm just wondering what the current state of the line is. Thanks again for your help.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 7:58am
If you get there by 5:20, you should be ok (again, this is PRE-HOT). The line can get VERY long (80 people plus sometimes) however it usually moves quickly.
natsslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natsslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

If you get there by 5:20, you should be ok (again, this is PRE-HOT). The line can get VERY long (80 people plus sometimes) however it usually moves quickly.

Very helpful, thank you. Going to give it a try today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic