Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:17pm
I read something once that trucks would not be allowed on the HOT lanes, but I don't recall where or when. I never really understood when they were allowed on the HOV lanes. I recall sometimes seeing no trucks on the signs, but not since the lanes switched to HOT.
natsslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natsslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:35pm
I plan to write to my Fairfax County supervisor, my state rep, my state senator, and directly to the Virginia State police to complain about the lack of enforcement.

A few years ago, they did an HOV enforcement day. They had state troopers and local police at the end of every on-ramp in the AM literally checking every car to see if they had 3 people. We need that again. I am sure it scared a ton of people. They should do those at least quarterly, and unannounced.

You think with the fines they can generate combined with local budget cuts that they'd have an incentive.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:57am
An idea would be for rookie troopers to work that stretch on a commission basis. Talk about easy income... :)
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 9:43am
quote:
Originally posted by mpatoka

The majority of the police pull-overs I've seen involve either semi-trucks or people pulling trailers in the HOT lanes. I believe they are not allowed at anytime in the HOT lanes though I've never seen signage stating that. They used to be allowed in the HOV lanes.

I looked last night going south and again this morning going north (the entire length). There is a sign before each entrance to the HOT lanes (in some cases two signs) that clearly states in large letters "2 Axle Vehicles, Buses only".
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 6:18am
Maybe they need to simplify that to No Trucks beyond 2 axis or something.
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:21am
The POLICE were out in force this Morning enforcing HOV rules!!!!! I was VERY surprised..........April Fools !!!!!!
vaterri View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaterri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 7:09am
I too am outraged at the number of violators in the HOV portion of 395 both AM and PM. Who do we contact to express our discontent? I personally sent an email to the Express Lane email address at VDOT -- NO reply at all. It is causing a ton of congestion, especially in the PM. They are simply "racing" down the HOV to get to the EZPass lanes in hopes they is no enforcement. Guess what, they are right!!!
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:46am
quote:
Originally posted by eao

quote:
Originally posted by GregP

BTW, I wish non-HOV commuters would be prohibited from utilizing the stretch of southbound HOV "entry lanes"(?) across the 14th St. Bridge and other points and then exit on the right side exits onto I-395 (prior to the Pentagon) in order to cut around southbound traffic leaving the city.

From my observations and experience, they significantly slow HOV outbound traffic and pose a hazard by sometimes causing backups on the exits onto I-395.

I use that portion of 395 on Fridays when I have to leave from 14th & C since I can't make a left from Independence. I feel that it is much safer to exit onto Rt. 1 to go to Alexandria from that stretch of road than trying to cut across 3 lanes of traffic on the main lanes which are crowded with buses and tourists as well as commuters, even at the time I travel them. There rarely seems to be a delay at that time I am on the road.

BTW I saw a Va. state trooper pulling over a single driver with no Ez-Pass just south of Edsall Rd. this morning at about 5:45 am - I was a passenger in a car. So they are out there.

You make a good point for the Rt. 1 exit to the left. I forgot about that one.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:22am
There were lots of missed revenue opportunities this AM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic