Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV enforcement
    Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 6:59am
We had a thread on this before the database got corrupted, so I'm resurrecting it in light of the number of violators both in the AM and PM.

In the AM, solo drivers continue onto the HOV portion of 395 past Edsall in the AM and there never seem to be any police out.

Similarly, violators merrily get on 395S and continue to the HOT lanes with no cops in sight.

As someone, who like many others, constantly jumps through whatever hoops VA puts us through simply to get to and from work (riding with and picking up strangers, paying for HOT transponders, etc...) it gets increasingly annoying when scofflaws continue to get away with breaking the law.

So, WHERE'S THE ENFORCEMENT???
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 8:33am
I have yet to see a single cop (morning or afternoon) since the HOT lanes went active.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 6:33am
I have seen a few, mostly in the afternoon. I have seen one single driver pulled over though I'm not sure why. At 3:30-3:45 there is a long line of cars getting off at Edsall so some people are following the laws.
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:42am
I'm fairly new to slugging and must say I'm shocked at the number of single occupant vehicles I've observed riding in the I-395 HOV lanes in the evening (4:30 pm) - and they don't even have special plates. Some don't even have an E-ZPass affixed to their windshields (which isn't required on the I-395 lanes anyway, but nonetheless).

I'm simply amazed at how many drivers are either ignorant of the law(s) or feel entitled to do what they wish. Since the Express lanes opened at the end of December I also see far fewer LEO's along I-395 HOV lanes and at exit ramps.
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:12am
I witness countless violations of the HOV-3 rules daily. Zero enforcement. Who can we lobby to get police to start issuing tickets ? Not sure about you guys but my commute time has been getting longer.
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 1:05pm
BTW, I wish non-HOV commuters would be prohibited from utilizing the stretch of southbound HOV "entry lanes"(?) across the 14th St. Bridge and other points and then exit on the right side exits onto I-395 (prior to the Pentagon) in order to cut around southbound traffic leaving the city.

From my observations and experience, they significantly slow HOV outbound traffic and pose a hazard by sometimes causing backups on the exits onto I-395.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 9:38am
quote:
Originally posted by GregP

BTW, I wish non-HOV commuters would be prohibited from utilizing the stretch of southbound HOV "entry lanes"(?) across the 14th St. Bridge and other points and then exit on the right side exits onto I-395 (prior to the Pentagon) in order to cut around southbound traffic leaving the city.

From my observations and experience, they significantly slow HOV outbound traffic and pose a hazard by sometimes causing backups on the exits onto I-395.

I use that portion of 395 on Fridays when I have to leave from 14th & C since I can't make a left from Independence. I feel that it is much safer to exit onto Rt. 1 to go to Alexandria from that stretch of road than trying to cut across 3 lanes of traffic on the main lanes which are crowded with buses and tourists as well as commuters, even at the time I travel them. There rarely seems to be a delay at that time I am on the road.

BTW I saw a Va. state trooper pulling over a single driver with no Ez-Pass just south of Edsall Rd. this morning at about 5:45 am - I was a passenger in a car. So they are out there.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:58pm
A co-worker who lives in the Lincolnia area once confessed me she used to drive the HOV lanes across the 14th St. bridge at around 4:00 p.m. and exit at Lincolnia Rd for years to avoid the regular lanes traffic because she had to be at a certain time at her house due to her daughter dropping off her grandson for her to babysit, and never got caught. It boiled my blood a little bit when she told me that because her daughter was putting her in that predicament of getting a ticket so she can have it easy. It was also her own fault for not knowing to say no.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:26am
quote:
Originally posted by eao

BTW I saw a Va. state trooper pulling over a single driver with no Ez-Pass just south of Edsall Rd. this morning at about 5:45 am - I was a passenger in a car. So they are out there.

Must have pulled him over for something else. Perfectly fine to be a single driver, south of Edsall Rd in the morning without an EZPass. The express lane people will just send you a large bill, but no law against it.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:26am
The majority of the police pull-overs I've seen involve either semi-trucks or people pulling trailers in the HOT lanes. I believe they are not allowed at anytime in the HOT lanes though I've never seen signage stating that. They used to be allowed in the HOV lanes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic