Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bait and Switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvnslgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bait and Switch
    Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:43am
This morning, I was in the slug line at Telegraph road. A car queued up (late model red Jeep Cheerokee, heavy-set male driver), offering destination either Pentagon or Crystal city. I only mention this because I will be avoiding this driver in the future. I specified Pentagon and took the ride along with another rider. When we got to the Pentagon, he drove around the pm pick-up area (large parking lot) and dropped us at the Burke-Springfield pickup. When I asked why he was doing this as opposed to the normal am drop-off, he indicated that this was “easier for him since he was going to Crystal City”. Rather than argue, I simply exited the car with the other driver. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the customary morning drop off for the Pentagon is either at the designated area on the sidewalk (signed),or just inside the front parking lot, both of which are near the barricade. Either one works for me, and this is what I assume when a driver says “Pentagon”. I have never known anyone to use the pm drop-off in the morning. Because of traffic, the Pentagon has become a popular destination and hub. Additionally, I suspect that the implementation of toll lanes has spawned greater numbers of drivers and riders, many perhaps new to slugging. However, I don’t think this kind of bait-and-switch is appropriate. Riders generally appreciate the ride, and drivers appreciate the convenience. However, I don’t think this gives drivers carte-blanche to deposit riders anywhere they want to, especially without notice. This system has to provide some benefit for both sides to work. I hope this was just an anomaly, but perhaps, more experienced slugs might keep in mind that people newer to the system might need gentle reminders that there are ‘rules’ in place for both parties.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 12:10pm
I don't think it's specifically a bait and switch since he did drop you off at the Pentagon, even though it was a couple hundred feet from the accepted drop spot.

I recently had a driver with a Pentagon South Parking permit pull into the parking lot and park near the lines where you were dropped off. As he's turning into that lot from the HOV exit, he asked "Do you mind if I just park here?" versus dropping us at the normal drop spot and then parking. I personally don't mind the short walk so it didn't bother me.

When I drive and park there I will drop the slugs at the typical drop point and then circle back to the parking lot to park. It's not that much of an inconvenience to get back into traffic.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 6:49am
I don't think that is a 'rule'. Would it have been polite of the driver to say that when you were picked up, yes; did he have to, no. Keep in mind that everything is at the discretion of the driver and not the preference of the passenger though based on a few that I have encountered they think it is. This is a mutually symbiotic arrangement. Drivers need riders and vice versa. As with anything else in the world it would be nice if people were more courteous - but don't expect it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic