Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After 6PM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After 6PM
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:55am
Just curious to see if lines are "operating" after 6PM. Now that the HOT lanes have been in use for 4 months, I'm wondering if any locations (such as the Pentagon) are being used to catch rides or get riders.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:32am
I drove through the Pentagon last Friday about 6:00 but there were no riders. Not that Friday is any indication but.. The week before it was 5:30 and while I had to wait a few minutes I was able to get 2 riders. They told me there are always people there after 6 on Fridays but that didn't seem to be the case when I tried the next week. The Pentagon might be the safer bet during the week.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 12:57pm
Anyone going south of Edsall Rd or Springfield is still going to need HOV-3 unless they want to pay after 6 pm and there are still slugs that work late so I wouldn't think it has changed that much from previous. I haven't had to test it out yet but my boss has and there are still drivers coming through late to head to PW or Stafford.

Fridays are always an unknown since so many either take leave, have flex schedule or telework so slug volume is usually lighter anyway.
hillnva View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hillnva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 2:46pm
Thought this thread could use an Update:

I can only speak of my experience for the afternoon commute from the Pentagon to the Horner Road Lot. The closer to 6:00 PM, fewer Slugs are available. So the wait time is for Slugs gets longer the later it gets in the afternoon.

There was a Federal Holiday this past year that occurred during the middle of the week were the Pentagon South Parking Lot looked almost vacant (As you may have figured out… Yes. I work in the Private Sector). After a 40 minute wait, I did get the required number of Slugs. Saw someone waiting at the Route 234 Line and asked if they wanted a ride too (no other slugs were around and did not want to leave a lady alone in a Slug Line even though it was the Pentagon). She called her friend and informed them of the change in Drop-Off location. I left with a full car and vacant Slug Lines in the rearview mirror.

The Slug Lines have been described as “organic”. So my experience at the Pentagon may not be typical of other Slug Lines.
Urban Dictionary: Slugs
NOUN
People who anonymously ride-share, with drivers who need extra bodies, to get into the high-occupancy vehicle lanes (HOV).

My definition:
A term of endearment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic