Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EZ-RIDER Slugging App - FREE on the App Store

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeHeadsStudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EZ-RIDER Slugging App - FREE on the App Store
    Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:06am
EZ-RIDER is connecting slugs throughout Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia. All that's missing is YOU!

FREE TO DOWNLOAD ON THE APP STORE - FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ez-rider/id982057433?mt=8

STAND-OUT FEATURES INCLUDE:

* GET A REAL TIME COUNT OF WAITING SLUGS AT ANY SLUG-LINE AND COMMUTER LOT!

* KNOW HOW MANY USERS ARE SEEKING TO CARPOOL TO YOUR DESTINATION!

* NO MORE WONDERING ‘IS ANYONE COMING?’ EZ-RIDER shows you the DISTANCE of the next RIDER or DRIVER for your destination!

* WANT TO TRY A NEW SLUG-LINE? EZ-RIDER provides directions to points-of-pick-up allowing users to get to slug-lines and commuter lots with more available Riders and Drivers. Saving users critical commute time!

scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:05am
How does this app work?
ThreeHeadsStudios View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeHeadsStudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:31am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

How does this app work?

Hi Scott,

I'd be happy to answer your question. My name is Sharon McDonald and I am a partner at Three Heads Studios, the makers of the EZ-RIDER app.

Using the app is very simple. All the user need do is indicate whether they are a RIDER or a DRIVER. Then, the app will direct you to choose a point-of-pick-up and a destination. Then, the user is presented with a trip planner screen.

On the trip planner screen, the app will show you your commute. Also, if you've indicated yourself to be a Rider for example, you will see the total number of Riders at your chosen point-of-pick-up.

You will also see that out of that pool of Riders, there are say, 20 that are also competing for rides to your desired destination. The app will also let you know how many cars are commuting to your destination.

And if you happen to arrive at a lot and find that there are no cars with which to carpool, the app will give you the distance of the next available Driver for your destination.

And as an added bonus, EZ-RIDER provides directions to all points-of-pick-up and destinations currently servicing the slugging community so, in the event you'd like to use another lot that has more available users to carpool with, it will provide you with directions to those locations.

I hope that answers all your questions and please feel free to reach out to us at info@threeheadsstudios.com. Your feedback, concerns, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sharon McDonald
Partner, Three Heads Studios
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:52am
So for it to work, EVERYONE has to use the app, correct? Meaning, to get an accurate count of how many slugs are waiting at a particular line, ALL of them have to use the app. Correct?
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:37am
That's my interpretation as well, Scottt. It seems a lot of people would have to use the app. for it to be "real time" accurate and relies on two-way communication. However, this could take off.

You know the old saying, "If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path your door."

On the other hand, the little devil sitting on my shoulder just whispered in my ear with a Vincent Price-like voice: "What a nifty way to leech riders from a slug line. Whether you're driving or slugging, you don't have to wait in a long line of cars or people anymore. You can pre-arrange to meet them around the corner. This way, they and you have a guaranteed quick(er) ride home. Call it "Uber Slug"."

The thought alone makes me think this is what a drug deal must be like. You know what you intend on doing isn't right but you're going do it anyway. So, you go around the corner where it's less obvious to others. The guilt has gotten to me already. Count me out. ;-)
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeHeadsStudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:39am
Hi Guys,

Thank you for vocalizing your concerns regarding the app. EZ-RIDER is intended to provide more organization to the slugging system and make it easier for its users. I’m sure one or all of us have experienced the frustration of arriving to the lots and finding no one is going where you are going and that all the cars or riders are in another location. Wouldn’t that be great information to know before you arrive so that you can make a more informed decision regarding your commute? EZ-RIDER can save you time and remove the guesswork, which is the one flaw in an overall amazing system.

With regards to usage, we have been working to increase our pool of users. Those numbers are steadily on the rise and we anticipate that that will remain the trend. Feel free to spread the word to fellow slugs. The more people using the system, the better for everyone.

In reference to cherry-picking riders, EZ-RIDER is not intended as a method to circumvent the system already in place. It’s to bolster it. To make it more efficient. It's function is purely informative and it is not a means to coordinate ride-shares.

I hope that answers all of your questions but If you’re still not convinced, give it a try. It is free to download (for a limited time only) from the App Store. So there is no cost involved to satisfy your curiosity. Please be sure to tell us what you think!
lstumpy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lstumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 4:45pm
When will this be available on Android? And why is it only available in the Apple App Store for a limited time?
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
This sounds like a good idea but as an Android user it does me no good at present and again the information will not be accurate simply because not everyone has or chooses to have an Apple device. Nor do they wish to have their phone out or visible making it vulnerable to theft.

As to "cherry picking" it exists now only it's much more blatant. I would much rather not know this is going on as I am standing in the pouring rain waiting for a ride see a car pull up only to stop short and call out to their friends in line behind me.

Also, while I realize people design apps to perhaps make a little money I would hope once it is developed for Android it will remain free. I don't slug because it's fun I slug because I can't afford to take train or bus and my car is high mileage. I think that might be the issue with many people and if the app remains free they would be more participation.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeHeadsStudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:42am
Hi Android Users,

We will be rolling out droid-friendly version of the app in the in the near future. You can sign up to receive updates on our website: http://threeheadsstudios.com/about/.

Regarding pricing, upon launching the EZ-RIDER app for Android, it too will be free for a limited time only. EZ-RIDER is normally a small nominal fee of $2.99 and it is a one-time fee. When compared with the cost commuters incur who are not able to secure the rider requirement for HOV usage and those who are unable to find rides and are forced to use the buses and more costly means, $2.99 is a very small price to pay for something that could greatly improve your commute.

Also, by charging a small fee, it enables us to provide upgrades to the app that will only serve to make slugging a more convenient experience for the community.

Thank you all for voicing your concerns and I hope that I have answered all your questions regarding EZ-RIDER. For more information on the functionality of the app and its availability, please visit www.threeheadsstudios.com

Best Regards,

Sharon McDonald
Partner, Three Heads Studios
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 8:10am
Sharon, I just downloaded the app to see what it's about. Will obviously "tune in" during slug hours to see what participation level and accuracy is.

I did check out a few of the origin and destination locations for Springfield and downtown and two things stood out to me immediately:

1. The Springfield location known as "Bob's" is listed as "Bob's Seafood".

There never was nor is there now a Bob's "Seafood". The location is named after and old "Bob's Big Boy" restaurant. Simply known as "Bob's". By adding "Seafood" to its name is an inaccuracy. That should probably be corrected with the next app. update.

2. The pickup location in DC "D & 7th" - shouldn't this be listed as "7th & D"? It reads and sounds awkward since all other streets are labeled with the number first, then the letter (consistency).

Just my opinion based on a quick look-see.

BTW, since the app is free at this time, will updates remain free or will there be a charge when the app must be purchased?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic