Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Telegraph Rd slug line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvnslgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Telegraph Rd slug line
    Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 12:14pm
This is a horrible idea. The concept works at Horner Road because there is room for it. The Telegraph Rd slug line has essentially one lane for incoming drivers. Setting up “destination stations” will only cause traffic jams since many people use the other entrance for entry and exit (although not exclusively). Additionally, I was away last week when this started, and coming back this morning, I can tell you this seems utterly destined to fail. I think drivers will not appreciate having to form individual lines threaded through a full parking lot. As a rider, I do not want to be locked into one destination if circumstances, time, availability, etc. dictate that an alternative may be in order. Nor do I want to have to walk from one line to another having waited for some time already. The point of the line is to give those at the front of the line the option to elect or pass on destinations. For the record, the poor drivers going to alternative destinations have no choice but to sit in location and shout to riders as they approach the line. The “elect or pass” system in in effect at every other lot, and works fine. I see no need to change. The morning commute is tough enough already. Lets not add to it by providing additional opportunities for miscommunication and interpersonal tension.
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 12:46pm
I assume that you are talking about it being a terrible idea for 610, which I agree. Reference this article:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/transportation/vdot-looking-for-input-on-proposed-staffordboro-lot-adjustments/article_be6d69ea-ede4-5a1d-92b4-12e002aeb422.html

The highway department wants to hear from commuters on the proposed changes. Commuters can send comments to kelly.hannon@vdot.virginia.gov.

KeithO
luvnslgn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvnslgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:32pm
No, this is a Woodbridge lot.
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 3:28pm
VDOT want to do something similar at 610

KeithO
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:25pm
I disagree luvnslgn. This is a change that has been needed to be made for a long time and I am happy that someone took up the task. In the past when there was one line, the cars would queue up starting at the bus stop and would overflow into the last lane. There would be times when there are too many cars in line and the line would then overflow into the entrance lane blocking people who wanted to park from entering and also. It also blocks the handicap parking spots. In addition, as mentioned by a previous poster, slug riders would grab the first car going to their destination and not necessarily the first car in line. Also, the one line scenario blocked cars from exiting the line once they had their riders if the line extended up the row of parked car.

By having the separate lines, drivers are now able to queue up to the proper line. If a slug rider is waiting in a line and sees that there are no cars going their direction, they can then choose to move to another line. I think the lines are set up that they compliment one another -- 14th and 18th next to each other; LeFant/Navy Yard sharing; Crystal City/Rosslyn and then Pentagon. It is easy enough to jump from one line to the next if necessary.
flutterby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 1:21pm
Does anyone know how long the morning wait is at Telegraph for a slug ride to Rosslyn?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic