Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon Slug Lines Being Relocated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbilbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 10:34am
I agree with Gomez. The Burke/Springfield afternoon lines are totally ruined. They are located at the back of the Slugline massive backup, and it takes forever to get through. Drivers will stop coming. I have considered just standing where the old line, but if you hold a sign the cops will stop you.

The relocation was poorly planned! They have made it worse for everyone. The Burke/Springfield lines were not causing any traffic congestion. There was already an ample stack lane. Why did they move it???
Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 11:51am
Upon further consideration, although I usually don't even care about "the other guy" [;)], I can't help but wonder how long it takes a poor non-slug-driving commuter to exit that parking lot and get out onto Eads St.? Has this relocation helped those several hundred "C"-parking folks? NO! There is no way to candy-coat it, this experiment is an unmitigated disaster. It's had a week-plus to settle in and it only gets WORSE! The only point that can be legitimately argued is that now the jaywalking danger has been reduced, but in all other aspects - congestion, convenience, and the bottom line, getting people home from work in an timely and efficient manner - this is a failure.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 11:58am
quote:
Originally posted by trbilbro
[br]I agree with Gomez. The Burke/Springfield afternoon lines are totally ruined. They are located at the back of the Slugline massive backup, and it takes forever to get through. Drivers will stop coming. I have considered just standing where the old line, but if you hold a sign the cops will stop you.

The relocation was poorly planned! They have made it worse for everyone. The Burke/Springfield lines were not causing any traffic congestion. There was already an ample stack lane. Why did they move it???

It's not just the Burke Springfield lines that got hosed, everyone did. It took me 57 minutes to get from entry point into this cul-de-sac from heck until I left for P. Mills -- with one slug @ 1759 [}:)] I truly believe the folks behind this mess (most likely suspects -- DPS) were merely looking at how to move/contain the "problem" rather than with any view to the efficiency/efficacy of the "solution." With multiple "entry" points to the slugging lane (and by extension, multiple exit points) traffic blockage is guaranteed and gridlock is frequently the case as folks use the middle lane to transit to an entry point further down the pickup lane (e.g., 234, P. Mills)compete with those exiting the slug lane. If I wanted to sit in traffic for an hour I can do that on 395/95S, at least there I have the illusion of making progress towards home [:I]

- Will
Kitchensva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitchensva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 3:16pm
Yes, would somebody please let us know to whom we can complain about this mess. Why they took something that worked perfectly well and turned it into a complete failure is beyond me! I think I might start trying the Rosslyn slug line when it starts on Monday or may have to go back to the Fairfax Connector. The way it is now either people are going to stop lining up for rides and/or drivers are going to stop trying to get into the bottleneck to pick up slugs. Somebody sure messed this up!!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 4:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by Kitchensva
[br]Yes, would somebody please let us know to whom we can complain about this mess.

Posted in a new thread at:
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=859

- Will
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 10:33am
Gomez, the congestion before was at the insection on Rotary Rd south of Eads, where the next street goes under 395 and the the slug line exit for the Stafford county and points south line. the backups here were HORRENDOUS, with traffic routinely backing up on Rotary road all the way to the off ramp+, drivers picking up Stafford/Frederiscksburg slugs couldn't get onto Rotary Rd (people wouldn't let them out onto Rotary Road), and people coming from under 395 also had hard time turning onto Rotary Rd (for same reason). I have noticed this past week that the traffic on that stretch of Rotary Rd is MUCH better (at least during the 1700-1800 time frame).
trbilbro View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbilbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 7:37pm
Maybe the Stafford and Fredricksburg folks got a better deal out this move, but best I can tell everyone else got hosed, especially those of us going to Springfield and Burke (who started the slugging concept years ago!). The old Springfield line had an ample stack lane that was rarely near capacity and it was served by a crosswalk.

They just shifted the problem.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 10:46am
quote:
[br]especially those of us going to Springfield and Burke (who started the slugging concept years ago!).

Forgive me, I don't see the relevence of that statement. Just because you happen to slug from slugging's origin doesn't give those right to preferential treatment. That's like saying that Delawarians' freedom of speech is better than anyone else's because they were the first to ratify the Constitution. Doesn't work like that. Changes affect everyone. Some positive, some negative. The last change of the PW county lines REALLY screwed the Stafford/F'burg lines!! We had to navigate through that crap twice!! And we had to endure that for months!! And guess what, we finally got a break. Perhaps there will be another change and you will get a break next.

Here's another idea. And I mean no offense by this... You have made lots of negative comments and gripes concerning the recent changes. I don't know what's going on and cannot help you. But you know very well what's going on and can help yourself... How about coming up with a solution instead of complaining about the problem. You will get much further in your quest for slugging utopia then you will by belly aching. Seriously. If you don't believe me, try it.
trbilbro View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbilbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 12:32pm
The relavence is the irony that the one's who helped create the slugging process in the first place are the one's who get the worst deal. Without that start in Springfield, perhaps the HOV lanes would have been a failure and the X-urbers in North Richmond would be hating life. It's just ironic, that's all. Spare me the Constitutional hyperbole.

And, to your other assertion, I have suggested a solution. I suggested that Sluggers report to the old line. If the Pentagon starts to hassle folks, oh well, move back to the new line or find alternate means. I have also called and complained that the lines be moved back. I have also helped advertise the new Crystal City line, so get off your high horse. I am not bellyaching. I am espousing activtism. That's how this whole thread got started.

Your happier because your situation has improved at the expense of everyone else, and you don't want to see it changed back.
Dramore View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dramore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 12:43pm
Your logic escapes me. I currently slug out of Rt. 17, before that I lived 10 years in PR WM County and slugged from Potomac Mills and Horner. BEFORE THAT, I slugged from Springfield and this was when the lines were first formed away from the bus stops. (When this first started, drivers would pick up sluggers from the bus stops, until we broke off and formed lines nearby.) With that said, do I qualify for a break even though I'm now slugging from Rt. 17? Your argument suggests everyone living in Springfield now is responsible for the success of the system. Your argument is empty and silly.

[br]"The relavence is the irony that the one's who helped create the slugging process in the first place are the one's who get the worst deal. Without that start in Springfield, perhaps the HOV lanes would have been a failure..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic