Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon Slug Lines Being Relocated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon Slug Lines Being Relocated
    Posted: 24 Sep 2003 at 5:35am
Effective on 6 October 2003 many of the slug lines at the Pentagon will be relocated to North Rotary Road between lanes 31 thru 36. The move, detailed in the Building Circular PBM-03-29, will provide a "safer environment for commuters and help to alleviate traffic congestion." In addition, the Pentagon officials stated they will provide shelters for slugs as well as emergency phones.

View Building Circular PBM-03-29.
wfields View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2003 at 4:34pm
Where in relationship to the metrorail exit will the new lines form? This map is greek to me. Help

Fields
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2003 at 9:27pm
Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. It's about 40-50 yards due east of where the Horner and Tackett's lines meet.

Or, if you are standing on the lower level bus platform facing towards the Potomac, it would be the small parking area across the street.

I'll try to post a larger scale map so you can see a "from" and "to" relationship.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 1:33pm
Looking at the map, I-395 is at the very bottom (parallel's South Rotary Road). Row 26 (bottom Left Hand corner of the map) is where the current pick-up area is for some of the lines. The Metro bus station is left of the upper left hand corner. The new pick-up area is probably a good 4-5 minute (downhill) walk from the Metro Bus station.

I agree it's a terrible map and there are better ones they could have used.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 2:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by wfields
[br]Where in relationship to the metrorail exit will the new lines form? This map is greek to me. Help

Fields

Here is a link to a "big picture" map of Pentagon parking, though you'll probably have to enlarge it to read it. Also, there may have been road changes since the map was made, but I think the parking row numbers are good.

http://www.odcsper.army.mil/Directorates/mp/reservist_survival_kit/PENTRES.gif
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2003 at 2:53pm
Test drove the new course yesterday -- in essence what you are going to end up doing is proceeding straight instead of making the left turn we make now for PWC pickups. As you proceed to the sateliite parking lot,stay to the right and about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way around you will see the signs for the new pickup points. From the pickup, stay in the right lane, make a left at the intersection and stay to the right an you will end up on the HOV on ramp. My main concerns are going to be (a) backups from folks waiting to pickup slugs and (b) how the intersection traffic flow will be controlled as we are merging with the bus traffic, and we know how they can be at times ... :/

- Will
sklynsma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sklynsma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 9:48am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Effective on 6 October 2003 many of the slug lines at the Pentagon will be relocated to North Rotary Road between lanes 31 thru 36. The move, detailed in the Building Circular PBM-03-29, will provide a "safer environment for commuters and help to alleviate traffic congestion." In addition, the Pentagon officials stated they will provide shelters for slugs as well as emergency phones.

View Building Circular PBM-03-29.

I'm worried about the lack of a stack line for cars going to Springfield. Conversely, there appears to be a substantial stack line for Saratoga, but in two years of slugging I've never seen anyone slugging to Saratoga. Lots of folks use the Springfield/Burke lines. I've suggested the Pentagon swap the locations of the Saratoga and Springfield lines to allow a larger stack line for Springfield. Pentagon sees merit to the idea and will raise it for approval.
flyboy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2003 at 3:25pm
I agree. The Saratoga and Springfield/Burke lines should be switched. Also, the current Springfield/Burke line is backwards. The beginning of the line should be nearer to the Pentagon. Some may disagree with me when I say it was a dumb idea in the first place. But wait until that freezing rain is blowing sideways, temperature 20 degrees, and you have to walk all the way to route 110 to get a ride. Then you may agree with me. They said that they changed the slug lines for safety reasons and to that I say bull.
savannahr1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannahr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 1:23pm
I'm glad the slug line was moved. I work at the Pentagon and that little medium strip was fine if there wasn't a long line of people waiting for a ride. However, as lines get long everybody is jammed up on the medium strip and I don't know about the rest of you all but those metro buses get a little close to the curb IMO. And walking lane after lane can be sticky with drives and some walkers not paying attention. I think the current slug line is a better alternative.
Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 10:09am
[:(!]I notice an amazing lack of outrage here about the the disastrous new slug pick-up plan at the Pentagon. "They" (whoever "they" are) have taken a functioning system and turned it into an incredible bottleneck! The backups loop around the entire parking area, there is no way to form specific lines for "your" pickup point, and then after on-loading your passengers, you have to fight through some more traffic just to get to the intersection to get out. It's far worse than ever! What were "they" thinking?[:0]

[?]Can someone point out just precisely what "congestion" has been relieved by this reloaction?

[?]To whom do we write to point out that this new system is a complete disaster?[:(]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic