Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver texting - what to do/say?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver texting - what to do/say?
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:16pm
My husband slugs to/from the Pentagon every day.

Yesterday he told me the driver was texting on his phone the entire time. Obviously he didn't know the driver was going to do that before he got into his car.

A former colleague said she once told a texting driver, "I'm uncomfortable with you texting while driving. If you'll give me your phone, I'll input the text for you." The driver put down the phone.

What should he say to the driver the next time this happens? What would you do?
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:42am
That's usually a bit of a tricky situation because the driver could get PO'd. However, the driver should KNOW that this is an unsafe practice and he's putting his safety and the lives of his passengers at risk.

I'd want to say something to the driver upon exiting the vehicle but, probably wouldn't. I'd just avoid that driver and maybe pass the word to other slugs about the driver's unsafe practice of texting.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:47pm
I have told mine either put it down or pull over and drop me off
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

I have told mine either put it down or pull over and drop me off

That's probably the best thing to do. Put the driver on notice and nip it in the bud before something happens.
ukiltmybrutha View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukiltmybrutha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:24pm
I don't usually say anything. I don't want to PO the driver, because if the driver gets PO then I am in it to win it.

The odds of getting home are very high even with the texting going on. The odds of going to jail over an escalated argument are much higher.

If a person is being inconsiderate, did anyone stop to think that the person's response to you might not be the nicest?

Our incarceration rate is the highest in the world. I don't want to feed the prison business.

Costs and benefits people.

I agree with letting other riders know after the fact and refusing the ride next time the driver roles around.

Say a prayer if you have to, I have had to do so once or twice.

Life isn't always fair....think things out folks.
mjmcnulty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjmcnulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:59pm
I encountered the same scenario last week from L'Enfant to 610 Mine road. There were 2 of us getting in and the other person said something of texting as we got in. I was unaware that this person has a reputation for doing this. When we got out of the car I asked the other rider and he said oh yes she is known for that. She must have looked at her phone at least once every 10-15 seconds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic