Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reston to DC slug line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Milstead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reston to DC slug line
    Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 4:20pm
Hi,

I just started commuting from Reston to DC and would like to pick up slug(s). Anybody else interested in this? My time to arrive in DC is about 8:45 in NW DC.

rbm
Sterlingbound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2003 at 11:36am
I'm trying to slug to Rosslyn, but need to get in earlier. Try looking for slugs at the Herndon Park and Ride lot. Not sure how active the line is, but try posting a sign in your window when you drive up...
webbuzzard View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webbuzzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 8:34pm
the herndon-monroe park and ride has hundreds of bus riders each morning. there are a number of slug riders holding signs waiting for a ride.

just go there, put up your sign and reel in the riders!
manalangd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manalangd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 8:38am
Reston to Washington DC.

I picked up a passenger (slug) for the first time this morning and it's great. My commute time just got better by 30 minutes. For 50 cents for the toll, it's definitely worth it. I'll be doing this regularly from now on. I'll be there Mon-Fri mornings around 7:30am.

I can drop a passenger off at the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop in Washington DC.

David
Sterlingslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 12:27pm
Herndon/Monroe to Rosslyn (and a few other locations) is up and running.

Drivers and passengers should hold up signs to make it easy for everyone involved, and to also advertise to bus riders that the slug line is working.

Note- commuters on the toll road prior to the Herndon/Monroe exit can bear left (so as not to drive into the garage), pick up a slug and return to the toll road WITHOUT PAYING A TOLL. Most slugs wait across from the bus lane in the kiss/ride lane. Drivers coming off of the toll road in particular may need to hold up a sign, or park and walk over to the bus line to find a rider. Pull all the way into the small lot to pick up a rider, do not block traffic prior to the lot.

Slugs, keep an eye out for drivers in the small lot across from the bus lane. Dividing the line between the bus lane and that small lot is NOT a good idea.

As a slug, I've managed to get a ride as late as 8:30am, and have not heard of drivers having trouble finding a rider.

Both slugs and drivers should take care NOT to obstruct traffic.

Momentum is definitely increasing as of Oct 04 in the Herndon/Monroe lot. I've also seen drivers looking for passengers for Chinatown, Ballston, L'Enfant Plaza, and even Crystal City, all of whom managed to find a passenger as late as 8:30...
Sterlingslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:31pm
The Herndon Monroe slug line to Rosslyn and places beyond is still active. Drivers report an a maximum wait of 15 seconds to pick up one to 3 passengers. If you've thought about driving to work, you've got a huge pool of candidates waiting in line for the 950 and 980 buses.

Slugs- a ride in the morning is possible- I slug virtually every morning, BUT, there are only a few regular drivers.
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 9:47am
I don't need to pick up slugs at the HM Park and Ride until about 8:20-8:30 to get to Rosslyn and have not had any trouble the couple times I have tried it, so I am sure earlier in the morning is even better. Even if slugs need to go all the way in to DC, the drive to Rosslyn avoids the cattle-call like transfer from bus to train at WFC metro. It's a little late but I've always had at least one person practically run to my car. I just wish there was one back in the evenings.
merlin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 9:36am
Good Night! This morning I had to wait 30 minutes to slug into Rosslyn from the H&M Park-and-Ride. [:(]

Hopefully it will pick up tomorrow and the rest of the week![:D]

Merlin
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:22am
quote:
Originally posted by merlin
[br]Good Night! This morning I had to wait 30 minutes to slug into Rosslyn from the H&M Park-and-Ride. [:(]

Hopefully it will pick up tomorrow and the rest of the week![:D]

Merlin

What time did you get to the park 'n ride?
merlin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:59am
I get to the park-n-ride around 7:30 each day. And usually, there are at least one or two cars that pull up within 10-15 minutes and they are going to Rosslyn or are going to DC but are willing to drop off at Rosslyn. In 30 minutes, there was one woman going to Capitol Hill and the second car was the one that I got a ride with!

Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic