Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manassas Mall Slug Line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valeriembrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manassas Mall Slug Line
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:26am
Good Morning,

I am considering slugging, as my hybrid privileges to ride HOV on 66 are rescinded starting the beginning of December. As I see many hybrids on 66, who are losing their privileges as well, has anyone considered a slug line starting at Manassas Mall? It is right on my route to work, as I travel Sudley Road. I travel Constitution Avenue and could drop of at 14th and Constitution NW.

If not, I will need to understand how the Cushing Lot and the 14th and Constitution Ave slugging lines. Can someone educate me as to how I would know which sluggers are traveling my route?
Thank you.

Valerie Brown
tcruzatcruzen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcruzatcruzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:22am
I just made 2 posts regarding slugging from the Manassas Cushing lot.

I travel very early so that may be the only down side of riding with me.

TC

Edited by tcruzatcruzen - 15 Nov 2017 at 11:23am
valeriembrown View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valeriembrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:58am
Good Morning,

I might not have made it clear that I would like to be a driver. I pay for parking in DC, and it is more convenient for me to drive.

Let me ask a question, since I've never done this before, how do I identify passengers that are traveling my route?

Thanks in advance.

Valerie Brown
tcruzatcruzen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcruzatcruzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by valeriembrown valeriembrown wrote:

Good Morning,

I might not have made it clear that I would like to be a driver. I pay for parking in DC, and it is more convenient for me to drive.

Let me ask a question, since I've never done this before, how do I identify passengers that are traveling my route?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply.
Well I am also a driver and pay for parking in DC.

What you are doing here is pretty much it as far as it goes to identify people interested in your route.
At least that is as far as I can gather from researching the commuting around DC and the DMV conundrum goes. I may be wrong of course.

I found an app that is web based called smart slug.
But they don't seem to have any lines for the route I and you take.
It would be nice if there were an app with riders and drivers kinda lyft or uber and smart slug seems to have some of that in it but still no cigar.

I hope you find people, but to slug form any location, what I know is that you get yourself a sign for the destination and display it in your car when you go to the meeting pickup location.
Anyone interested just gets in your car and you drive off. So Technically you should not need to coordinate with anyone really, just drive up and pickup strangers :) and Drop them off.

Cheers!

Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valeriembrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 12:58pm
Thank you so much for the info. I do have a person who works with me who will often commute with me, but I am making contingency plans for the days when she cannot.

Happy Slugging!

Valerie
Valerie Brown
jschoenborn2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschoenborn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm
Where does the Manassas line go? I'd be interested in starting one for L'Enfant or Navy Yard.
JOHANNA
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valeriembrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:53am
Maybe someone can educate us on how to start a slug line, as one does not seem to exist at Manassas Mall, with various drop-off/pickup locations in DC.

Does anyone know if we would have to get the Mall's permission to leave cars there?

Valerie

Valerie Brown
juarezji View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juarezji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:30am
Hi,

This is a bit late of a reply from when you made your post but I was really interested in learning a little more about the Manassas Mall/Cushing Lot slug lines and where they'd drop off.

I will be beginning a new job within the next month and was hoping to be able to slug from either location above. I would need to be going relatively close to Union Station, as my job would be located near there. Does anyone know what my best options are? I've contemplated using the VRE in Old Town Manassas to Union and it would be $268 for a monthly pass, which is more than I am willing to spend. A monthly pass for the Metro is $216, so still a bit pricey.

I've seen how efficient the Dumfries slug line is for folks who live near there, but was hoping to find something similar in Manassas. Please let me know if anyone has information regarding this option. 

Thanks,

Jackie 
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valeriembrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm
As far as I know, there are no active slug lots in Manassas off of 66. I am a driver, and am now slugging from the Horner commuter lot in Woodbridge. Door to door in the a.m., I am average 55 minutes in commute time to 14th and U Street NW. Coming home I pick up passengers at Lefante Plaza and average 1:15 to 1:20 minutes door to door. I typically averaged 1:15 minutes in the a.m. and 1:45 to 2 hours in the p.m. on 66. 95 express is right off the commuter lot at Horner, and 395 is right at LeFante Plaza. I am averaging 70-80 miles per hour, non stop. Everyone is speeding, and the toll cameras are not checking for speed. I will never commute via 66 again, until possibly the express lanes are built outside the beltway and the speed limits are raised. The 66 toll lanes inside the beltway are still 55 MPH, and everyone is afraid to drive faster that 55, as they think the cameras are checking speed, which they are not. Outside the beltway, 66 is bumper to bumper stop and go. 66 is not a winning situation for me at all, and I given up, unless something changes.
Valerie Brown
juarezji View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juarezji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:28pm
Valerie,

Thanks for the helpful info. I feel as though going towards Woodbridge/Stafford, their slug lots are more established and seem more populated. I would consider going to the Horner lot as well, as that'd be the closest of that location. It would still be a 35 minute drive to the lot itself for me, coming from Manassas, though. 66 is an absolute nightmare, which is why I am trying to find a way around it. 

Excuse the ignorance, but I looked at Horner's drop off sites and they list plenty in DC, but I am not too familiar with the area/direction. Would you mind telling me which stop may be my closest option to Union Station? I'd assume I would have to take a metro ride to my actual destination from these:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic