Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 3:00pm
I've seen plenty of people ask and the drivers never had a problem. If they didn't want to take a 3rd they would just say no. No offense taken to the slug. The line was very slow, so I figured I would ask. Not trying to be rude at all. Just trying to get to work like everyone else. This topic wasn't my initial question. But it's good to here other opinions. :) Also, if the driver does indicate 2, I will not ask. They are clearly stating that they will only take 2. I will only ask if they pulled up with someone in the car already and are only picking up one person.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 3:44am
Salsita, I don't feel asking is rude if that's what you want. But, don't be surprised when a negative reply is given. I personally do not ask a driver to take a third. I follow their leade when they initially pull up to the line...they will let you know what they prefer. Cheers! [;)]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 3:57pm
I agree with Tulipgirl67 in that the next person in line should be the third passenger in an accomodating vehicle, but I also think that Salsita was not trying to be rude. Taking slug etiquette to its literal sense means that tulipgirl's situation would have been the correct one in that case. I know I have stood in a slug line many a time and wanted to do the exact same thing!! From a driver's perspective, I know that the question to take a third can give me a big guilt trip. For my second job, I carry a lot of equipment in the back of my Explorer and have no other place to go with my backpack (I'm a part time student, too) except the third seat. If I can take a third, I usually call for a third. If I can't, I obviously won't, but feel really guilty having to say no. As a driver, I kind of wish it could just be the driver's call and no one would ask, so that I wouldn't have to say no, but as a slug, I know how it feels to want to ask!!
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 8:52am
You were not rude at all! People need to speak up if they are next in line. You can't think for them and if they do not move then too bad for them.
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 11:59am
"Ye have not because ye ask not!" No problem with asking the question as long as you do it politely, taking into consideration many of the situations mentioned above.
The asker should accept the response just as politely.
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:17am
What ever the driver wants, point blank.
RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:27am
quote:
Originally posted by sancochojoe
[br]What ever the driver wants, point blank.

Exactly Sancho, the driver should specify the number of riders that they wish to take when they arrive. Many times drivers are willing to take a third (including myself), but why put them in the awkward position of saying no? I guess the key here is if you are going to ask the driver to take a third, do your best not to come across too pushy. We are all just trying to get along and get to work in an efficient economical manner.

rw
Macey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 12:12pm
I agree 100%. You make a lot of sense because you are looking at the big picture and what is good for the slugging system as a whole. Unfortunately, not everyone looks at the big picture, only what is good for them as individuals, and because this is a no rules system, we have to go with what the individual driver wants. (Just wanted to let you know that I think about your statement - superior thinking!)

quote:
Originally posted by n/a
[br]The key here is if the slug line is long for the sluggers, then it is OK to take the 3rd, but if the line is not long and it is not close to 1800 (6:00 PM), then riders should not triple up. But if line is long, they ought to move it along and drivers should help, if able because if sluggers get stuck, then they are less likely to slug and that means less riders and less flexability in the future. At Roslyn there are days with a very long line of sluggers and days with a very long line of cars.

GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2003 at 1:22pm
Our Admin here is a Nazi and a censor. Keeps deleting my names, I guess the Nazi thinks I am a threat to the "Power", someone always protecting their marbles.

In any case, yup, driver should always refuse the third for any or no reason if they do not want to take an extra rider. No one should look at them mean or even try to talk them into a third if they have said no, but do not be offended if you are ask. It should be OK to ask and OK to say no. If only sex were that simple.

quote:
Originally posted by RW
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by sancochojoe
[br]What ever the driver wants, point blank.

Exactly Sancho, the driver should specify the number of riders that they wish to take when they arrive. Many times drivers are willing to take a third (including myself), but why put them in the awkward position of saying no? I guess the key here is if you are going to ask the driver to take a third, do your best not to come across too pushy. We are all just trying to get along and get to work in an efficient economical manner.

rw

C. Lam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Lam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2003 at 5:14pm
I always refuse the third. That person would have to sit behind me and I'm really not comfortable with that. You have to be very cautious of the peolpe that you pick up now of days. It's not like it use to be in the old days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic