Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2004 at 8:38am
We generally only ask if you will take a third when the line is very long and we are short of cars. When there is a movement of cars and slugs, putting a third in a car may cheat another driver of a slug, however, when we are short of cars and getting close to 6:00, patientce will only put you in traffic or leave you without a ride.

Feel free to say no, that is OK, but it is OK to ask. As I have stated, we should not ask if there is a rug rat seat in the back seat or one side of the back is coverd with beer cans and liquor bottles.

quote:
Originally posted by marcelhenryg
[br]riders should not ask to take a third person. just be patient third rider, you're ride will come!

CBlue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 3:03pm
Marcel's post has me curious. Has any driver actually been asked to move a child seat? Unbelievable!

bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 6:12pm
well if nobody is in the child seat?
quote:
Originally posted by CBlue
[br]Marcel's post has me curious. Has any driver actually been asked to move a child seat? Unbelievable!

GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 7:24pm
Or, what if the third is a child? What about if they just want a ride real bad and are acting like a child?

GeeseAreGood
Senior Member!
Bella View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 9:15am
As a driver, I do not mind if someone asks if I will take a third and I usually do even if sometimes I don't want to. HOWEVER, lately it seems that drivers outnumber riders (at Bob's, though it seems a little better now) so I do not want to deprive other drivers of getting a rider, esp. on cold mornings standing in a line of 15 drivers!
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 11:59am
There's a lady in the afternoon line for Tackett's who, when the line is very long, will holler to the people in the front of the line to ask if the driver will take three. Most times, the drivers will take the third. She gets cheers for this from her linemates, and the line moves along much faster.

Often times, if the line is very long or the weather is bad, the drivers of larger vehicles will holler out that they can take 4 or 5. Me? I figure that the third body balances out the car weight-wise, so there's pretty much equal pressure on the tires.

What I HATE is this: I'm second in line and the driver will take three. The first person gets in the front seat. I open the door and get in the back seat. Third person stands there waiting for me to scooch over to behind the driver, rather than go around to the other side of the car. Scooching over in a heavy black wool coat with purse and tote bag is no easy feat. It happened only once -- I just close the door now. Another time, same scenario, person number three jumps ahead of me and climbs in the back seat, causing ME to have to walk around to the other side. Petty, sure, but EXTREMELY annoying when accompanied by PMS.
RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 12:39pm
It's not petty. It simply speaks to the thoughtlessness of some people. It starts out with one or two acting like that, and then certain others think "Well, since others are doing it...." You know, kind of like your six year old. It's like at the Pentagon lower level in the evenings. When people get off the train, the line that starts to go up the escalator is soon bombarded by a hoard of people cutting in instead of swinging around to the back. No shame about cutting those off who are actually in line. I remember back when only a few people did that, now it is not the majority, but considerably over half the people. It's depressing to see people act like that, but heartening to see those who do not.
mallslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2004 at 10:14pm
I wholeheartedly agree with many of the posts here, that if there is a long line of cars waiting for riders, they should only take two. Earlier this week at Potomac Mills, there was a line of about 6 cars waiting for riders. I got in the first one, sat in the back seat, and waited for about 3 or 4 minutes until the next passengers approached. Two women who were obviously together approached the car and asked the driver if he would take both of them (the line of cars was about 10 at this point). The driver got out of the car to move stuff from the back seat so he could accomodate both women. We took off for Rosslyn and the women didn't speak to each other the whole way up 95/395, keeping quiet as good slugs should. When we arrived in Rosslyn, one woman went one way, and the other went the opposite direction, shouting "I'll call you" as she walked away. Now, why would have been so difficult for one of those women to have ridden in the next car in line at Potomac? They caused another driver to lose a rider, our driver to waste time rearranging the back seat, and me to arrive at work in a bad mood.

Karen
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:17am
I usually only take 3 in the morning and if there is no other cars behind me. I am always asked and yes I'll move the booster seat because I always think it's pretty important that people get to work on time. Now coming home is a different story, there is always cars waiting so I'm never asked to take 3. I probably would if asked just because I hate to tell people no if I'm going where they are. God forbid there is bad weather because I'd probably offer my trunk if they were willing.
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 2:53pm
I am all for the slugging system, I am a driver that picks up and I don't choose to take 3 people when I pickup,I don't feel I have to explain why I don't want to take 3 people, It's hard enough on your vehicle running up and down 95 everyday and then to contribute all that body weight, tons of bags etc... that is some serious wear and tear on a vehicle. I have been slugging for almost 7 years and some of the attitudes that get in your vehicle is unbelievable, some actually give you the attitude like this is our car. The vehicle I drive belongs to Mr and Mrs. B, not to the slugging system [:)].For the most part the majority of rider I pickup are used to riding with me and they appreciate the nice comfortable clean safe ride they receive.

Mrs. B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic