Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person
    Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 9:24am
I was in line today waiting for a ride to 14th street. One car came up and already had someone in the car and picked up 1 person. No one ahead asked if they would take a 3rd. Another car came, going in that direction, had one person and one slug got in. Still, no one asked if they would take a third, so I yelled and asked (I was about the 6th person in line) they said yes so I got in the car. As I was getting in the car 2 people said they would have taken that car. But they didn't ask. I know we are all trying to get to work so I feel that you need to ask. I doubt everyone wants to ask if a car will take a third for others espically if it's in the direction they are going. Just wanted to know if i was being rude or not, cause if so I won't ask anymore!
tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 10:58am
I am afraid you were rude, although not intentionally so. You can ask if the driver will take a third person. If he says, Yes, then the next person in line going to that destination gets in the car--not the person who asked if he would take a third.

You still get what you want-a faster moving line. Plus, those ahead of you don't feel (justifiably so) that you cut the line.
salsita View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:28am
ok, thanks for the reply. I just got irriatated that no one was asking and it had to take someone from the back of the line to get things goin.
Tall6969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:51am
Aaaahhh, this was a good question. I've been participating in slugging for a year and a half now and I've only taken on a 3rd rider 2 times. No one ever asks. And those 2 occassions someone asked.

Is it the unspoken rule that drivers only take the minimum HOV 3?
Tall6969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:54am
Oops, I failed to mention that I don't think she was rude knowingly or unknowingly. If one will not open their mouth to ask why should they benefit from the "work" of someone else going out on a limb and asking put it? Since she asked she should ride. The assumption being that since the other people did not ask there must some reason for it.
Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 12:11pm
This is an interesting twist on slug etiquette that has been discussed several times in the past - sometimes with pretty heated comments. As a driver AND rider, I see that the "3rd rider" question ought to really be situational. On the one hand, obviously the driver has the say on how his car is used. If he wants only two, so be it, although - if I have the room, I usually will take a third, and would think it appropriate for others to consider. Usually, I do this only if there is a HUGE logjam of riders, extremely bad weather, or it's 5:57 PM and the HOV restrictions are about to lift.

HOWEVER, if taking a third deprives another driver of an opportunity for a rider, I would not accept nor request it.
salsita View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 12:23pm
Well after I asked I saw that there were 2 others waiting for the same destination. I understand what you mean by the drivers but I was just looking from a slug point of view. I don't want to babysit other sluggers by asking for them if the driver will take a 3rd person. Some drivers, once there are 3 people in their car they will leave but you don't know if they will take another person if you don't ask.
RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 1:55pm
I don't think asking a driver to take a third rider is appropriate. If a driver wants to take three then they should specify three, otherwise, on many occasions, you put the driver in the akward position of saying "no" or making them get out to re-arrange their whole car to accept a third rider. Although many drivers will take three, it is very annoying to hear a slug from the back of the line yell "Ask them if they will take three!!". I have been slugging for over five years and have seen some very rude people doing this.

RW
Rosemary View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosemary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 2:29pm
I will ask on the way home (especially if the line is long) if a driver will take a third because they are only making one stop. They almost always do. I do not ask in the morning since it most likely means three stops for the driver. I think it does put the driver in an awkward position when they clearly indicate "two to wherever" and someone in the back yells "take a third?"
Rosemary View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosemary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 2:30pm
I will ask on the way home (especially if the line is long) if a driver will take a third because they are only making one stop. They almost always do. I do not ask in the morning since it most likely means three stops for the driver. I think it does put the driver in an awkward position when they clearly indicate "two to wherever" and someone in the back yells "take a third?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic