Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walking The Line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walking The Line
    Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 2:39pm
This may be a cut and dry question but anyway...on occasions maybe late in the morning or friday mornings there may be a long line of cars waiting for slugs at the 610 lot. Usually it is a bunch of Pentagon drivers but most of the slugs in the front of the line are going to Rosslyn. In that case the person in the front of the line(generally) walks-the-line to look for a rosslyn driver. On occasions the people in front of the line either don't know or choose not to walk the line. If a person, lets say the 4th Rosslyn slug waiting in line decides to walk-the-line and finds a rosslyn car, does he/she have claims to the ride. If you say no, what if the line of cars curve around the corner to the point Rosslyn riders waiting in line do not see the person walking the line should the person walking the line still return to tell the people in front of the line or just jump in the car.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 4:47pm
My opinion is that if people from the VERY FRONT of the line decide to walk down the line due to the issue you state, they have every right to the 1st ride they find to their destination. However, if someone from halfway down the line decides to do the same, they don't unles they know FOR A FACT that no one ahead of them in the line is going to that destination.
RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 7:04am
I think the people in the front of the line should take the initiative to start walking the line and people behind them should follow accordingly. However, if the people in front of the line do not take the initiative to walk the line, and someone say 4 people back walks 10-20 cars back where they are not in sight of the line, I believe the person walking the line has every right to take the ride. It amazes me how people will stay in line even thought the next 15 cars are pentagon and no other slugs are in line to occupy those waiting pentagon cars. It makes sense at this point to walk the line and find the first Rosslyn/Crystal City car and for the most part the slugs behind will follow keeping their respective order.

RW
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 11:01am
I slug from the Old Hechingers lot in Woodbridge and we have this same problem. We go to both 14th and 18th streets in DC. And when there is a long line of cars, usually the person in front takes the initiative and walks back until they find a ride. But what I find that always helps is if the "walking the line" person calls out each destination to anyone else who may be waiting for a ride. I think that no matter how it's done (whether it's the first person in line or the 4th) the important thing is that the destination of each and every car is announced to everyone.
RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 11:26am
I agree with announcing the cars as you walk back, however, when you are 15 cars back around the corner (like at 610), it is no longer possible to announce cars. This is the time in question.

rw
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 1:04pm
I agree as well. If you have to walk 15 - 20 cars back, and this is the case many times, I think you should have the right to the ride for your efforts.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 8:57am
I used to slug out of 610 and had the same problems. It would quickly get out of hand where the line was useless. The calling out the destination was the best fix but was hardly ever used. Woudl have helped out the situation.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:35am
I think the value of calling out the destination when you are walking the line depends on a number of things. For example, since the Horner Road/Downtown line is backwards, it just causes disorder and confusion to call out 10 cars going to 14th street when you are walking for an 18th street ride.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 11:06am
I think at this point something should be done at 610. Either move the line as a whole further up from the bus kiosk, or move one of the lines to the other side of the kiosk. (In the other parking lane entirely)

I walked the line this morning, and passed more than 10 cars to get to a Rosslyn ride. I think its time to split the line, or at least encourage drivers to move up a bit.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2003 at 2:07pm
One problem I have noticed at 610 in the AM is tht some people get to within 5 or 6 people from the front of the line, then refuse to move until they get ride. This ends up moving the line further and further South. I've noticed that at 6am the end of the line is right at the bus stop, while at 6:45 the end is about 10-15 ft south of it. Part of the problem may be alleviated by people at the front of the line actually moving it up to the bus stop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic