Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rosslyn - Herndon Monroe Park and Ride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosslyn - Herndon Monroe Park and Ride
    Posted: 28 Oct 2003 at 11:43am
I'd like to gauge the interest level for the slug line from Herndon/Monroe Park and Ride lot to Rosslyn and vis versa.

Note that the Rosslyn pickup spot moved next to the Horner Road pickup spot.

As for morning drivers, I suspect if you print one of the slug signs for Rosslyn and show it to the long lines of folks waiting for the bus, you should get some takers. If there is enough participation, those slugs will be more likely to try to catch a ride home!

I've been successful slugging twice, but no rides in three other attempts in October.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2003 at 4:25pm
Just wondering if this line is truly being used. I'm a sporadic driver from Sterling, driving in to DC too early (0545-0600) to pick anyone up, but I periodically drive home during the peak period. I've swung by the pickup zone several times only to find nobody there for Herndon/Monroe. I normally come through the service road in Rosslyn between 4:45 and 5:15. Am I wasting time, or should I continue to take my chances?
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:32am
Just wondering if anyone is having any success in slugging outbound in the evenings. Trying to plan my evening trip home.
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 9:46am
The Westbound afternoon bus from Rosslyn to Herndon/Monroe leaves approx. every hour at roughly the 50 minute mark. Ronin, if you are getting there just after the bus leaves, perhaps those riders gave up and took the bus? (since it only comes once an hour) Perhaps you could try the 5A bus stop on N. Moore, too, as a last resort. I took that bus last week at it was crowded! About 1/2 were going to Dulles but the other 1/2 got off at Herndon.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:48pm
My normal routine when I don't have my carpool partner is to do Metro to WFC, then the 980 out to H-M. I was just wondering if the slugging has totally died from Rosslyn to H-M. I know it works coming in the morning.
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 9:30am
oh, I didn't mean actually take the bus, just see if any of the bus-riders wanted to slug. When I took that bus the other day, I didn't even realize there was a slug line to Herndon.
oms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 11:09am
I've recently begun picking up slugs in the morning from Herndon-Monroe and have not had trouble finding a rider, though it's clear to me that most folks getting onto the buses are unfamiliar with slugging.

Yesterday afternoon, I attempted for the first time to pick up a slug for the commute home, but found no riders. I noticed that the signs in Rosslyn do not have Herndon printed on any of them. From what I've read here, I will attempt to pick up riders from the bus stops in Rosslyn.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 1:03pm
Yes, it's definitely a lot easier to get a slug inbound than outbound. I'm finding it might be beneficial to establish a drop/pickup spot downtown. The last two times I've picked up and specifically asked where they worked, it turned out they were headed downtown. Made for an even shorter commute since I didn't have to stop in Rosslyn. I've recently changed my sign to reflect "Downtown or Rosslyn" in the hopes of expanding the slug pool.

On the flip side, I've tried being the slug on Fridays, and the pickings are REALLY slim when it comes to drivers. I've stood for nearly 30 minutes with no success and given up.
oms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 1:50pm
Well, I work in the Courthouse neighborhood, so a downtown line wouldn't work for me. Before I head to the bus stops each afternoon, I'll keep checking at the Horner Rd. pick-up point in the hopes that I'll catch come riders and build up interest in this line.
oms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 12:32pm
After a several-year hiatus, I just today began picking up slugs at the Park & Ride again.

Reading a December '06 post on another Herndon/Monroe thread, it appears that afternoon slugs are still "slim pickins." I'll head over to Rosslyn today to see if I can find a slug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic