Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who to contact regarding...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2003 at 3:28pm
It seems like in all cases, we're pretty much screwed. Most drivers understand that we're all in traffic together, and taking shortcuts will only make traffic move slower. Even if they put up jersey walls or some other structure to eliminate this behavior, people will still find a way around it. Like the punks in school that cut in the lunch line. It's the heart of the person were they think they are better than everyone else. They're late for work, so they decide it's okay to piss off hundreds of other drivers with their behavior. Or they just feel they have the right to be rude. I'm not typically a violent person, but when I see the behavior mentioned above, I wish I had a dozen bricks in my car that I could throw at the back window of these cars when they drive by.

I also try to block the shoulder when cars try to take that shortcut. I always get the pissed off hand gestures and the "move it!" screams from them, like they're allowed to drive up the shoulder. I'm always afraid someone is going to hit me when I exit at the proper place. I hope someone does one day. They'll certainly get an earful from me. You shouldn't have to look over your shoulder when you exit. But some mornings, you have to or you'll get nailed.

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2003 at 9:24am
I took the Metro from Springfield this morning because Halloween traffic is always so bad. Funny, I actually rather liked the opportunity to read my book and ignore everybody else for half an hour, and my blood pressure didn't go up due to the "sneak down the shoulder" crowd, the "cross against the light" crowd, or the "back-in parking" crowd at the office. (People who back in are another pet peeve of mine but I will save that rant for another time.)
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 4:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by jjmahoney
[br]I also try to block the shoulder when cars try to take that shortcut. I always get the pissed off hand gestures and the "move it!" screams from them, like they're allowed to drive up the shoulder. I'm always afraid someone is going to hit me when I exit at the proper place. I hope someone does one day. They'll certainly get an earful from me. You shouldn't have to look over your shoulder when you exit. But some mornings, you have to or you'll get nailed.

I will probably be crucified by some for this post, so let me preface it by emphasizing that it is only from PERSONAL OBSERVATION and simply reflects my wondering about this issue. I've been curious as to who the shoulder-drivers are and why they think they are exempt from the rules, so for several months I've been watching what kinds of people try (a) to use the merge lane as a shortcut and (b) to use the shoulder as a shortcut. Both behaviours annoy me but the latter annoys me more than the former because the shoulder is not a lane (and because I remember the incident some years ago of a truck driver using the shoulder lane on I-95 illegally, back when they were building the express lane extension south of Springfield, and pancaking a driver who'd had a breakdown). From my observation, the shoulder-drivers are probably 80% young black males in the car by themselves. (I've observed this whenever shoulder-driving is a problem.) The merge-lane cutters are, in addition to the foregoing group, more often than not middle-aged white males wearing suits (including their jackets). This makes me assume that the "suits" are probably government workers who think they are therefore important (given that large portions of the private sector have discarded suits). I am at a loss to explain why it appears that a disproportionate number of shoulder-drivers are young black men.

I am not trying to stereotype here, I am just curious about it after seeing how disproportionate it seemed to be.
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2003 at 1:47pm
Well, I finally took matters into my own hands with one driver yesterday. The intersection of River Rd. and 495 is sometimes very bad. You have the westbound River Rd. traffic onramp to 495, and the eastbound River Rd. traffic onramp to 495, and then the 495 offramp to River Rd. and offramp to some other street that people use to try and cut past some traffic. Well, there is a portion of shoulder between the westbound River Rd. onramp and the actual entrance onto 495 that some people will ride up to get ahead of the traffic waiting. Well, I always sit ready to jump into the shoulder to stop people from driving down the shoulder. I saw one guy who was two cars behind me start to turn into the shoulder and as he did, I moved into the shoulder too. Of course he started honking his horn. I just sat there trying not to lose my cool (which didn't work too well) and just followed traffic. Incredibly, the guy that was behind me kept my original space open so I could eventually get back in. But after a few "stop and gos" in the traffic, the guy kept honking at me. So I put my car in neutral, applied the emergency brake, unhooked my seatbelt, and got out of the car. Luckily the guy had his window open, and I screamed from the side of my car "WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!!" Looking slightly terrified (or confused) he said "But I have to pick up someone." I yelled again, "I DON'T CARE!!! WAIT IN LINE LIKE THE REST OF US!!!!!" Still slightly confused I guess, he said "Ok...." I got back in my car, and then tried to get back over into the line (traffic had moved so some cars drove past and saw what I was doing). He started to move his car back into the lane, but then as I got out of the shoulder, HE GOT BACK ON THE SHOULDER AND TRIED AGAIN!!! I pulled back on the shoulder and he managed to squeeze to my right slowly, and I rolled my window down and yelled, "IT ALL MERGES INTO ONE LANE RIGHT DOWN THERE!!!!! GET BACK IN LINE!!!!!!!" He just kind of gave me this "I'm stupid" look, and kept going. All in all, he got about 3 whole spaces further than if he had just stayed in line. Plus he wasted probably 3 minutes of time by trying to cut everyone off and got yelled at be me (which felt SOOOOO good by the way).

Not that it matters, but he was an older black gentleman. For the most part, I'm glad for shoulders. For the sheer fact that you can move an accident off the road onto them. But those who like to use them to cut in line and do this illegal crap, makes me wish highways were just lined with jersey walls. I won't hesitate to do again what I did yesterday. It felt good.

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 8:13am
Today there was a COP in the regular lanes on I-395, just past the US-1 merge, pulling over drivers who had taken to the shoulder approaching the US-1 merge! Huzzah!!!

There is an abandoned orange construction cone on my street. I'm tempted to take it and drop it on the shoulder there one day.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 10:48am
jjmahoney........your lucky to be alive! I would not recommend that tactic ever again as the peopel with guns will eventually weigh in.
tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 11:11am
To JJmahoney: From which police academy did you graduate? You have no idea what was going on in that man's life. Perhaps he was trying to inch ahead to gain some perceived advantage in the line of traffic. Or perhaps, his kid had gotten hurt and he needed to get to the hospital. You never know and quite frankly it really isn't any of your business! There may have been a jerk behind you, but there was also one in your driver's seat. Relax, Officer.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 2:20pm
If it doesn't matter, then don't mention the race (or gender for that matter), of a person. Otherwise, one might think it does. [:0]
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 3:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by tulipgirl67
[br] There may have been a jerk behind you, but there was also one in your driver's seat. Relax, Officer.

No reason to call me a jerk there my friend.

Tall6969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 2:10pm
WOW, the length of the narratives on this topic strongly suggest that many of you need to try the Geese solution. Do your bosses know you all are dedicating so much time and demonstration of your writing skills to populating the Slug board. Ahh, such literary works of art?

The bottom line is, get use to it. Frustrated drivers in this nationally ranked bad traffic area is simply a part of life here. So aggressive drivers, being cut off is par for the course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic