Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

610 Lot -- New Lot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanB. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 12:02pm
I'll speak up for the DC line. We have riders going to 14th, 18th St., L'Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard. We, too, have riders and drivers that switch final destinations just to get into the District. Once you get into DC, walking or metroing to your destination is a snap. We even have some people who get into any car, just to get to any metro station so they can metro to their final destination. We're operating the same as the "Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City" line. Our final destinations just encompass a different area. Riders and drivers switch all the time depending on what's happening at the time. Flexibility (of arrival/departure time and destination) is just part of the beauty of slugging!!

JeanB.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 3:18pm
JeanB. Are you implying that the District sluggers would be amendable to moving to the new lot? I wonder how many slug into the District in the AM but slug home from the Pentagon? (At least we have a "Mine Rd" line at the Pentagon now). If we do try to change something, someone needs to inform the slugmaster AND let the Martz buses know since they may get more ridership to the new lot.
Poncho View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 6:34pm
Wow! Thanks for the great responses! I was afraid I wouldn't hear from anyone and be left wondering what everyone "really" thinks! Thanks, mycroftt, for the kind words.

Speaking only from the micro perspective of a slugger going to Rosslyn, I'd love to be able to leave from the Mine Rd lot since it's closer to where I live (ahhhh, the truth comes out). But since I leave fairly early (0620), the preponderance of rides leave out of the North lot. I'm also "concerned" that my opportunities to get back to Mine Rd are reduced to a certain degree because not everyone delivers to Mine Rd.

If we had one staging area then I know with 100% confidence that no matter if I show up at 0620 or 0800, there will be drivers going to Rosslyn. I also know with 100% certainty that all drivers returning to Stafford will drop me off at Mine Rd! That's the consistency I'm referring to.

Anyway, based on your feedback I'll certainly cool my jets if that's what the majority want.

Happy slugging!
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 11:31am
Poncho-I honestly feel that, with time, the lines will actually divide themselves up pretty evenly. I've seen more and more people using the Mine Road lot (I actually had to wait for like 20 minutes there for passengers...so the cars are there!!). There are a lot of folks living down Mine Road that would prefer to pick up/slug from there. Plus, once word gets out about how great getting to the lot in the afternoons is now that they put the light there, even more people will want to use it. Heck, I don't even live down Mine Road and I'd rather drop off at Mine Road!! It won't happen tomorrow, or even a month from now, but I'd be willing to bet that within the year, we'll see things balancing out between the two lots. I already see people there earlier and earlier and I've only been picking up from there for the last month or so.
JeanB. View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanB. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 12:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]JeanB. Are you implying that the District sluggers would be amendable to moving to the new lot? I wonder how many slug into the District in the AM but slug home from the Pentagon? (At least we have a "Mine Rd" line at the Pentagon now). If we do try to change something, someone needs to inform the slugmaster AND let the Martz buses know since they may get more ridership to the new lot.

I'm not implying that the DC line moves. It's working great. I just think that there is a large number of drivers and riders switching final destinations at the last minute depending on how the lines are working that particular day. Knowing that you can go anywhere you want from either of the commuter lots is a great benefit to all. The more we start structuring the slug lines and parking lots, the more we start tying our own hands and eliminating our own options. My thoughts are that if you're running early, go to the 610 lot. If you're running late, go to Mine Rd. There are several 610 lot lines to get you home, and a Mine Rd. lot at Pentagon. Works both ways!! Happy Friday to all.....

JeanB.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 12:45pm
Poncho:
The system works fine as is. The earlier folks (5:00-6:45a.m.) go to the Staffordborough lot and the later folks (6:45-8:40a.m.) go to the Mine Road lot. The only time you run into a problem with getting a direct ride to your destination is if you are there between 8:30-8:40a.m. because rides are scarcer at those times. Besides, we all need each other because if you can't you can get directly to your destination, you can always go to the Pentagon and metro fairly easily. So my vote is to keep it as is.[;)]

NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2003 at 3:24pm
The funny thing is, I usually hit the old lot betweeen 06:45 and 06:50 and have yet to not have a ride to Rosslyn. The only problem I see is that cars won't move all the way up in order to free up some room for the cars behind them.

Perhaps its time to move the line a bit further up past the bus kiosk so that more cards can move through? The past week and a half my mornings have had cars lined up to go to Rosslyn, and snippy comments about it from those going elsewhere. As if every other day its not all Pentagon/CC/Navy Annex, lol!

Slug15 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slug15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 2:37pm
Well, it looks like after quite some time, the Mine Road lot is finally being utilized. However, it seems that the old lot is not being utilized to full capacity. This morning at about 8:10 a.m. I drove to the Mine Road (like any other day) to find out the lot was FULL. I decided to take a chance to go to the old lot, low and behold, parking spaces (LEGAL) were available (I found at least 5). I parked over there and had to walk to the new lot due to lack of drivers at the old lot (about a 20 minute walk). Very frustrating to see the Mine Road full and have spaces available at the old lot because everyone thinks that the old lot is still an early lot, so no one is there after 7:00 a.m. or so. Looks to me like the Mine Road will be an early lot as well (especially when Stafford County schools are back in session beginning next week).
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 7:52am
There are probably spots available later on in the morning in the old lot "annex" because of all the commercial vehicles that park there overnight (probably because their HOA's don't allow them to park on their property). When they pull out in the morning they probably free up 15 or 20 spots. Why I have even seen a Good Samaritan park his flatbed with another car in tow lengthwise across the parking spaces "reserving" 7 or 8 spots for the latecomers. Does anyone know who I should contact to get the lot renamed "The 610 Commercial Parking Lot"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic