Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2003 at 9:38am
Ballston Rider:
The reason why the HOV entrance at Edsall is open to [everyone] is to help alleviate the traffic in the mixing bowl. Eventually, this entrance will revert back to HOV only when the construction is completed (we hope). I feel your pain about this entrance since this is where I enter everyday. It's also frustrating that the people who are suppose to get off at the HOV exit in Springfield don't!!!

BTW, there are several other posts/threads on this board regarding this entrance.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2003 at 10:53am
quote:
Originally posted by 3ForHOV
[br]Ballston Rider:
The reason why the HOV entrance at Edsall is open to [everyone] is to help alleviate the traffic in the mixing bowl. Eventually, this entrance will revert back to HOV only when the construction is completed (we hope).

That's also what was said a number of years ago regarding HOV across the 14th street bridge. HOV restrictions used to go all the way across the 14th street bridge, but were "temporarily" set aside in order to alleviate traffic during bridge repair.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2003 at 11:26am
Traffic was great this morning from 7:50 to 8:20 in the HOV lanes on 95/395. Not a single slow down all the way to Rossyln!
3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2003 at 12:04pm
Yea, it was great on the regular 395N lanes, too!!!
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 8:22am
quote:

That's also what was said a number of years ago regarding HOV across the 14th street bridge. HOV restrictions used to go all the way across the 14th street bridge, but were "temporarily" set aside in order to alleviate traffic during bridge repair.

I drive in the regular lanes in the morning because the nearest slug line (Bob's) is too far out of the way, and I wish they would close that ramp too. That may sound odd because you might think it would back up the regular lanes to the bridge even more, but I think having that ramp open actually slows down the regular lanes inordinately because of what I call the "kamikaze drivers" who enter the highway at Washington Boulevard and immediately gun it over to that HOV ramp--stopping their cars, if necessary, and causing everyone else to slam on the brakes. Incredibly dangerous scenario.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 8:28am
Something else regarding CF cars--bear in mind that not all of them are hybrids. I have a few colleagues who have natural gas cars, which are exempted under federal law. I bring this up simply because if the hybrid exemption WERE repealed, and then certain folks here saw the CNG cars in the express lanes, they would go berserk yelling about it. (Dr. Gridlock did last month, accusing someone with a propane-powered car of illegally switching the license plate.)
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 3:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]Jealous??? Yeah right!! Hmmmm......a 76 or 85 horsepower car or a 280 horsepower car. Let me see.......Ummmmm. HAHAHA!!!! I'm not jealous of the parking I bet they have to pay either. When I used to drive single I paid $200 a month. Now that I carpool, I pay $18.00 a month. Granted.....sluggers pay even less.....$0.00. :-) Jealous....HA!

Then there are those of us who get free parking, so we drive or ride as the line dictates. I have daily pondered buying one of those $80,000-government-subsidized-to-cost-the-consumer-only-$25,000 cars (something along those lines), so I could not only get the tax rebate from the IRS but also get to ride at my own comfort level in the HOV lanes.

I have stopped myself from the purchase, because I would be doing it for all of the wrong reasons--for example, the energy savings really doesn't matter to me if I have to trade off for a car with no power (I assume there is none, since they always seem to be puttering along slowly in the "fast lane") and because I know I wouldn't ever attempt to take riders, no matter how much of "the right thing" that would be to do.

I do feel a certain amount of envy for people that have the cojones enough to ride solo, falsely using the pretense of saving fuel and protecting the environment, when in reality they are using one car to shuttle one person, when they could be carpooling and thereby transporting 3 people for virtually the same fuel as one.) But as long as the exemption exists. . . .go for it!!!! I can handle a bit of envy until that day comes. Overall, HOV is still better than the regular lanes.[:)]

GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 10:25am
A CFag is a hybird car, I could say with the CF plates, but not all have the CFag plate and seem to do just fine.

I think we should call the CFers CFags!
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 11:29am
quote:
Originally posted by GeeseAreGood
[br]A CFag is a hybird car, I could say with the CF plates, but not all have the CFag plate and seem to do just fine.

I think we should call the CFers CFags!

Or perhaps we shouldn't. That term just seems juvenilely derrogatory. I'm not sure whether your intention is to say that people who drive CF vehicles are offensive as cigarettes or as homosexuals, but such a label seems quite out of place. Perhaps you could come up with a term for which a 3rd grade education is required. Or better yet--not.
cindyds View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindyds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 1:26pm
What’s very irksome about allowing Hybrids in the HOV lanes is that from an environmental POV, it’s really dumb, and shows the fundamental ignorance of the VA lawmakers about how they work. Hybrids save gas/reduce pollution during stop-and-go city driving. So having a hybrid makes no sense if all you do is highway driving. If you’re really interested in the environment, then the smartest thing to do is encourage hybrid use in the city, or busy suburbs. A hybrid has NO different effect on the environment from an efficient, compact car when the primary use is highway, such as on the HOV lanes.

Owners will likely argue that the HOV rule encourages hybrid purchase to begin with. But surely there’s a better way. Those of us who slug can take comfort in the law’s expiration in 2006…and its unlikely renewal, given that the law violates Federal rules and would result in the loss of VA’s matched highway funds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic