Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 1:43pm
Guess you haven't seen today's paper. Seems Congress is going to change the federal laws so Virginia (et al) will be in compliance and can continue the hybrid exemptions in HOV lanes. The House approved it in the energy bill and the Senate will take it up later this week. Did anyone really expect any less?

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2003/112003/11192003/1173015
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 4:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by cindyds
[br]What’s very irksome about allowing Hybrids in the HOV lanes is that from an environmental POV, it’s really dumb, and shows the fundamental ignorance of the VA lawmakers about how they work. Hybrids save gas/reduce pollution during stop-and-go city driving. So having a hybrid makes no sense if all you do is highway driving. If you’re really interested in the environment, then the smartest thing to do is encourage hybrid use in the city, or busy suburbs. A hybrid has NO different effect on the environment from an efficient, compact car when the primary use is highway, such as on the HOV lanes.

Owners will likely argue that the HOV rule encourages hybrid purchase to begin with. But surely there’s a better way. Those of us who slug can take comfort in the law’s expiration in 2006…and its unlikely renewal, given that the law violates Federal rules and would result in the loss of VA’s matched highway funds.

With all due respect, there are at least two other threads that you should read below that pretty much exhaust all debatable facets of this. We barely survived without resorting to (too many) personal attacks.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 4:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by GeeseAreGood
[br]A CFag is a hybird car, I could say with the CF plates, but not all have the CFag plate and seem to do just fine.

I think we should call the CFers CFags!

... and what is a hybird car?

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 4:48pm
A hybrid car is an electric and gas car that works off of both, so it's really fuel efficient.
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 5:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by argentinian_belle
[br]A hybrid car is an electric and gas car that works off of both, so it's really fuel efficient.

. . .especially if more than one person are riding in it.

"Hybird" stated by the Goosewoman--could it mean anything else? Why do you even bother responding to her, Mroyal? Unless you are really her and you are trying to bring even more attention to her and her silly antics. GeeseareGood is fine for a little comic relief, if you don't take her seriously--but don't let her goad you. (and I will try not to be goaded too). The beer exception for Friday was a classic idea though.
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 7:19am
Well, I will buy a hybrid soon, and not just to get on the HOV.
I think any push to have anything more efficient is a plus.
I personally don't like paying $50 to fill up an SUV so I would never buy one. Gas will not get any cheaper either.
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 2:34pm
quote:
[br]A hybrid car is an electric and gas car that works off of both, so it's really fuel efficient.

mroyal knows what a "hybrid" car is... he wants to know what a "hybird" car is...duh!
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 3:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by viper
[br]
quote:

mroyal knows what a "hybrid" car is... he wants to know what a "hybird" car is...duh!

There's no reason to be mean. I didn't notice the difference of spelling. I bet there are many people out there who don't know what a HYBRID car is.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2003 at 12:11pm
Good point belle....it is easy to take shots at people from behind the computer screen. A lot of the posts in this site are becomming a bit to personal on the attack side.
gdriva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdriva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 2:38pm
No matter what, the problem is volume and more volume and it will get worse.

I admire hybrid buyers for the environmental gesture and would like to buy a hybrid car next, but not just to get a jump on HOV. I think hybrids should pick up riders just the same, no exceptions, because HOV is the one thing that helps move more people and decrease volume. I wouldn't mind going back to HOV 4. (Years ago I took HOV 4 with my little VW sun bug! Those were the days.)

Here's an even crazier idea: All (or more of) the 95 lanes should be HOV at rush hour, no exceptions for hybrids. New lines and destinations would form, and the lanes would carry more volume. Hey, compared with that, dropping the hybrid exception is mild! I know I know, blasphemy, madness.

Finally, I don't like the idea of HOT lanes, because ultimately they won't ease volume. It just means that people with more superfluous cash will have an advantage, as usual, and they will just add to the congestion and make life worse for the rest of us. Who decides about HOV/HOT designations? VDOT? Is there a limit to the hybrid exception now?

Thanks--

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic