Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcpswebgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 2:56pm
Can someone clarify something for me?

Is it okay for singles to ride HOV at night from Pentagon to Springfield offramp? I have heard it both ways and have seen many singles doing this -

The jam with singles getting in before the "bowl" is going to cause an accident some day as the drivers come over the hill.
Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 9:00am
quote:
Originally posted by dcpswebgod
[br]

Is it okay for singles to ride HOV at night from Pentagon to Springfield offramp? I have heard it both ways and have seen many singles doing this -

I have no "proof", but my understanding over three years has been, despite HOV restrictions being in effect, singles can use the HOV ONLY TO BYPASS the Mixing Bowl! i.e Not from the Pentagon, but from the "Regular Lane to HOV" crossover at Edsall road to the "HOV to Regular lane" crossover just past Old Keene Mill Rd. Get on HOV at the Pentagon as a single and you are in violation. Stay on the HOV beyond that as a single (even just to the Franconia-Springfield Parkway exit) and you are in violation.

Anybody who can correct any errors in the above, or point to evidence that this is (or is not), in fact, the policy please do so.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 11:54am
My question would be.....Why would single drivers want to bypass the mixing bowl in the HOV lanes? Besides the wait just to get on the HOV after Edsall Rd., the traffic in the regular lanes is almost always faster than the HOV lanes during that stretch of the highway. I'm sure there must be another reason for singles to get on there.....wht is it?
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 1:59pm
Yes, HOV is open to all traffic between the Edsall Rd. onramp and Springfield (the big sign that says "All NON-HOV traffic must exit". Although it causes more backups for us regular HOVers, it's legal. But many of the single riders think that they've gone that far, so they just stay on. And then get off at the Dale Blvd. exit (right after the PW Parkway exit) where there are hardly ever any police waiting. There are cops waiting at the Pentagon onramp quite frequently though, and usually right where the lanes merge with HOV, so it's nearly impossible to avoid once you commit to HOV (although I saw one person backing up on the ramp because they saw the cop!!)

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"
earlyriser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyriser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2003 at 10:59am
My theory on why traffic is so bad is the recent rise in Metro parking and rail rates. Why should I pay $9.70 per day to park and ride Metro, and spend 1hr 15 minutes commuting, when I can drive and pick up slugs and get to my office in 25 minutes and pay $8.00 to park?

Even if I have to pay $10-11.00 to park it's worth it to not have to deal with finding a space to park (a big IF), walking to the station, dealing with the crowds, and then trying to get out of the lot in the evening. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

earlyriser
Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2004 at 12:39pm
A neighbor told me that even though the HOV gets backed up between Edsall and Springfield, he says it is a nightmare at the Springfield/Franconia exit because the cars on the right (coming off the beltway) are merging to the left to continue south on I95 and the cars on the left are merging to the right exits for Springfield and Franconia.

quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]My question would be.....Why would single drivers want to bypass the mixing bowl in the HOV lanes? Besides the wait just to get on the HOV after Edsall Rd., the traffic in the regular lanes is almost always faster than the HOV lanes during that stretch of the highway. I'm sure there must be another reason for singles to get on there.....wht is it?

JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2004 at 1:39pm
Your neighbor is correct. And since 395 merges onto 95 from the left, it's next to impossible (and very dangerous) to cut across several lanes of traffic in a short distance to exit at Springfield. So, till the system is improved, it is legal and advisable for drivers in the regular lanes to use the open portion of the HOV lanes to get off at Springfield.
bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2004 at 2:27pm
Connie, looks like you made a mistake by moving out into the rural areas if all you want to do is beef about traffic. How about moving in closer and stop crying about traffic? What's next HOV-8? Only buses???

quote:
Originally posted by Connie
[br]This morning was another nightmare. At one point, we were stuck in the right lane behind cars getting off at the Pentagon. We looked over and were passed by 4 Hybrids in a row, followed by one 3-person car and then 2 more Hybrids. We pulled over into the left lane and proceeded to pass 5 Hybrids within the line of approximately 15 cars waiting to exit at the Pentagon. That's 11 in a small space in a small snapshot of time. [:0]

No Hybrids are not the whole problem as someone pointed out. They are part of the problem. But I don't believe that you ignore something that can be fixed just because it's only part of the problem. I have begun contacting my representatives in Richmond -- I figure I've complained long enough and there's no point in that if I'm not willing to take action. [:)] And I am raising other issues that affect the lanes - other single driver exemptions, continued unchecked growth, the need to perhaps look at increasing the hours for HOV. If you have opinions on what is causing the problems and how they might be solved, please let your voice be heard as well.

Maylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 12:24pm
Connie raises valid points and has every right to complain. There are multiple reasons for the increasing congestion in the HOV lanes and it is only going to get worse UNLESS certain actions are taken (for eg. extend HOV hours to encourage more car pooling, get the hybrids off because they do not reduce the # of vehicles). Afterall, HOVs initial purpose was to get MORE cars OFF the road. Providing exceptions and making it easier for the single drivers to use the HOV lanes (for eg. early HOV hours ending at 6pm and allowing single drivers to get on at Edsall PROMOTES single drivers and does not encourage carpooling). Connie's posts serves a purpose and additionally prompts me to write any and all state representatives to complain.
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 1:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by tdar20
[br]Good point belle....it is easy to take shots at people from behind the computer screen. A lot of the posts in this site are becomming a bit to personal on the attack side.

Use "too", not "to" in this case. Grammar slacker! [:o)]

Yes, do not type before you think. People tend to be offensive when posting Web messages. Lets save personal attacks for the Democratic primary! Sad, but true. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic