Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continued awful trips on HOV
    Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 8:45am
This morning (Nov 12)the commute was terrible again. My driver did not have the radio on and I didn't hear what happened. I think the problem is the non-HOV pre- 6am rush. If anything goes wrong it fouls the entire morning commute for the HOV. Something is going to have to be done eventually. I am thinking that we are almost at the point of shifting the am HOV to 5:30. And end the hybrid exemption sooner rather than later. I am about ready to fire off some more emails.

Bob
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 8:59am
here we go again, Blaming Hybrids
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 9:37am
I think the evening and morning hours should be extended. I also noticed a lot of cheaters.
JustWannaGetHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustWannaGetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 10:09am
I'm sorry, but something HAS to change! I'm so tired of calling my boss from the congested HOV lanes telling her I'm stuck in traffic again! I'm lucky if I can get to work on time two days out of the week. I've been slugging to Rosslyn from Horner for over five years, and it's never been this consistently horrible...rain or shine! The only explanation is the Hybrids, it's true! Of course those that have Hybrids are going to deny it, they bought the car to get on HOV free. I'm so tired of this environment reasoning...it's hurting the environment, look at the congestion NOW! Something has to be done, can we all afford to go through this headache of a communte everyday on HOV lanes??? It's the HOV lanes, not the CF lanes!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 10:18am
Hybrids are a factor, but anyone who has followed my posts on this knows that my concern there is for 2-3 years out, but if we dont get a policy handle on it now it could get terrible. I think the majority of the current problem relates to a massive amount of singles trying to beat the 6 am deadline. This is combined with much higher volumes in the HOV lanes in the 6-7 am period. There is no margin for problems any more. (Let's add some HOT lanes here!)
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 10:41am
I agree with you Bob. There are many contributing factors to days when the traffic is snarled and hybrids are still a relatively minor factor.
A lot of times, the problem that caused the backup is cleared long before we get to the scene. Any hickup can cause a massive slow down regardless of which lane it occurs in.
I don't see any miracle solution to that, unless you can teach people to drive and not rubberneck.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
Connie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 10:49am
The bottom line is that in the past month, the HOV lanes have become a nightmare commute.[:(!]I've heard several culprits - backups from early morning that drag on, downtown flooding and yes, even Hybrids. I have certainly observed more CF license plates in the lanes and while some might argue they are not the problem, they WILL become the problem as more and more are purchased. While some want the exemption continued because they bought the Hybrid to take the HOV lanes and get to work faster, I could argue that I and others bought our homes where we did because we could carpool via the HOV lanes and get to work faster. Therefore, I too am interested in protecting my investment[:)]and I believe that everyone benefits when the HOV system addresses congestion as it was originally intended. I've read that some people are sending emails - to who? And about what specifically?
3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 11:32am
"I have certainly observed more CF license plates in the lanes and while some might argue they are not the problem, they WILL become the problem as more and more are purchased. While some want the exemption continued because they bought the Hybrid to take the HOV lanes and get to work faster, I could argue that I and others bought our homes where we did because we could carpool via the HOV lanes and get to work faster. Therefore, I too am interested in protecting my investment and I believe that everyone benefits when the HOV system addresses congestion as it was originally intended."

This has got to be the best comeback to the single rider hybrid owners I've read. Because of the HOV lanes, this is why we bought a house in Woodbridge. I'll be damned if I have to get up any earlier just to get to work. The HOV lanes are a big quality of life issue for me.

Unfortunately, no one has a solution -- not even the politicians. For instance, when Toddy Puller was asked if she knew of a way to ease congestion, her reply was, "I don't know." At least she was honest about it!!!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 11:44am
I left Potomac Mills around 7:30 this morning, and got to Rosslyn at 8:30. The slow traffic was from Lorton, to Glebe, then normal from there on. Not even a backup on Washington Blvd. There was not an accident, or any unusual distraction at any point. The traffic reports on the radio didn't report anything other than the slow traffic.

I didn't count, but I saw about a dozen different "CF" plates during the trip including the one that mocks "HOV".

All I can say is that a year ago, this didn't happen. The only thing that's changed since then is the number of vehicles with excemptions to HOV has more than doubled.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 12:01pm
Well....more and more people are moving down south. This is leading to more and more people carpooling. Thus more and more people in the HOV. It's not just hybrids....it is just more people moving into the area....PERIOD!

I just read a study that said at the current population growth rate, that 5 minutes would be added to our commute every four months for the next 3 years. So if you think it's bad now....just wait. It's only going to get worse. It has steadily been deteriorating over the last decade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic