Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentago to Springfield Slug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentago to Springfield Slug
    Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 1:45pm
Since the slug lines have been moved at the Pentagon, everyone riding to Springfield has been complaining of the inconvinience. I have also heard many "spreading the word" about going back to the old line, although I never see anyone going there and actually try to move the line back. So i wanted to write this message to try to organize something so that we can move the line back (I am one of those people who is unhappy with the new line). Please share your thoughts about what we can do and "spread the word" so that we can all be happy and stop complaining. Thanks.
potterd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potterd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 4:10pm
I concur that the Burke/Springfield slug line at the Pentagon must return to the bus lane near the HOV entrance in South parking. The new line location is inconvenient for everyone. Initially, many riders claimed that they would hold firm on the old line but have fallen to the pressure, I guess. I have never gone to the new line and I get rides everyday within 10 minutes. I do hold a sign up and recommend others to do the same. The return needs to be a group effort for all to benefit. My slogan is "You can move the sign, but not the line."
willy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2003 at 8:10am
As your last statement:be happy and stop complaining. If you try to move the line back you will only be stopped by Defense Protective Service and have to go back to the pick-up lane. This would only cause more problems. The Federal Government has no oblagation to Slugs at this time but the Pentagon is trying to provide a safer inviroment for us. All I hear is a complaining. Get real ! They have provided us with shelters, better lighting, and a emergency phone. We did not have this before ! If people would just try to adapt to the new location and be less combative it might just work out. Stop @*#ing.
Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2003 at 7:22am
quote:
Originally posted by willy
[br]Stop @*#ing.

But it's NO FUN if we don't @*#!

P.S. I still think, even with the re-organization of the Pentagon afternoon pickup locations, that there are simply not enough lanes on that loop for that number of destinations to be efficiently serviced. The backups continue.
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2003 at 1:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by willy
[br]As your last statement:be happy and stop complaining. If you try to move the line back you will only be stopped by Defense Protective Service and have to go back to the pick-up lane. This would only cause more problems. The Federal Government has no oblagation to Slugs at this time but the Pentagon is trying to provide a safer inviroment for us. All I hear is a complaining. Get real ! They have provided us with shelters, better lighting, and a emergency phone. We did not have this before ! If people would just try to adapt to the new location and be less combative it might just work out. Stop @*#ing.

Shelter, better lighting and emergency phone doesn't get me home faster, which is the point of slugging. I appreciate all that stuff, but i still want to get home faster. The past two days I found out that i get home sooner driving by myself than by stopping to get slugs.
potterd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potterd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2003 at 8:29am
I clearly understand why those with a sheep mentality decline to evaluate changes as they occur. They don't have the ability to think on their own, much less outside the box. I am suggesting a sane and frequently requested change that would alleviate some of the congestion where the Burke slug line currently exists. If the sign is moved back to the location near the entrance ramp to the HOV, everyone would benefit, to include the other slug lines. Resist stupidity, think for yourself.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2003 at 3:31pm
I will think for myself and resist stupidity, and ignore your advice.

The planners at the Pentagon have gone to the trouble to plan and dedicate lanes for sluggers, efforts that are neither profitable for them nor appreciated by many. The new location saves riders from crossing the parking lot and several lanes of traffic. The Pentagon has been responsive with the recent move of Springfield lines to the near side of the new lanes; it makes it both a shorter walk for riders and faster to the on-ramp for drivers. With the lighting, shelters, signs, additional lanes, etc. it is managable for both riders and drivers.

I am neither a city planner nor a traffic management engineer, just a commuter who thinks the mess at the Pentagon is the result of lots of cars, not necessarily poor traffic planning. The new system works ok (so far) for me as a rider and driver.
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2003 at 4:08pm
Actually, it's not faster to the ramp, it's been more than a couple of times where i was already in a car just sitting there for 10 minutes, waiting for the cross guard to let us through. and what's with "is safer to cross the street" that people keep mentioning, they could just have simply made a crosswalk at less expense. We're not children, at least i'm not and i can judge for myself when it's ok to cross the road and when it's not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic