Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L'Enfant Plaza Drop off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L'Enfant Plaza Drop off
    Posted: 29 Jan 2004 at 8:12am
Question-- What exactly is considered L'Enfant Plaza as far as dropping off passengers? In the past, I have always been dropped off at the Metro station near 7th and D Sts. I've recently had several drivers pull into the underground garage underneath the hotel that is at that first light after you come off 395 exit (to 12th St.) and drop their passengers there. Maybe I'm asking for too much (I know you guys will tell me if I am), but walking to the Metro from there seems like quite a hike and I always understood (as a sometimes driver) that we should drop people off near a subway. Walking down to the Metro on icy sidewalks that have not seen a shovel has been awful but even on a good morning, that underground garage seems too far from the Metro. Before you mention that you can go into the Plaza entrance about one block from the garage, well, that's not a Metro. You have to walk through the Plaza and around to get there. Thanks for any input.
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2004 at 12:17pm
I've experienced the same thing recently. I too think it is too far from the Metro and have opted to by-pass the L'Enfant drivers (unless I recognize the ones that drop you closer to the Metro) and I go to the Pentagon instead. As one of those people with a knee that acts up without warning, I'm not interested in taking a hike before work, especially on that sidewalk you are talking about. If you prefer going to L'Enfant rather than the Pentagon, I would suggest that you take note of the "garage droppers" and pass on a ride with them or ask the drivers outright where they drop off.
Andy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2004 at 12:28pm
I feel ya EA. The garage is not what I would call near a Metro. I've also never quite gotten why people drop at the next block up (the entrance to the shopping mall) because as you said there is no Metro there either. If you go in that entrance, it is actually longer than continuing down the sidewalk, plus you have to essentially walk two (no, three!) mall hallways to get to the Metro escalators. May be good for those training for a marathon, but I'm not looking for a workout before work (good for those who do, just count me out.)
Connie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2004 at 12:53pm
I once had a driver drop me off on the promenade level, which is QUITE a hike to get back to the metro. I generally get out at 7th and D near the metro and walk to my office, which takes a few minutes. That morning, it took me 10 minutes just to get from the upper promenade level to the normal dropoff. I have noted the car and won't ride in it again. Not only was I late from the extra walk but it was extremely cold that morning.
RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 2:21pm
I thought I was the only one...Up until a few months ago, I was always dropped at 7th and D Sts., which was great because there is a Metro right there, however, I too have been getting dropped off farther and farther from ANY Metro. I used to LOVE it when a driver called out for L'Enfant, but now I ask where they will drop. I also would now rather go to the Pentagon than have to hike it. Not interested in taking the extra time (and discomfort in the cold) in the a.m. I actually get to work sooner because there are so many more drivers to the Pentagon and I never have to wait in the a.m. for a ride, whereas the L'Enfant drivers are fewer. (I also drive sometimes and I would never drop people so far from a transfer point.) I don't mind a moderate walk, but some of these drop off points are getting ridiculous. Pentagon works for me.
Macey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2004 at 12:14pm
I stopped taking L'Enfant rides because when I asked where they dropped, I would get "outside the Metro" and then get dropped a distance down the street. Either their idea of outside the Metro encompasses blocks and blocks or they are purposefully being deceitful so that they get the riders (which is not too bright, because people aren't going to ride with them in the future). I now go to the Pentagon Metro and take the Metro into D.C.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic