Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lorton Afternoon Slug Line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jill22079 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lorton Afternoon Slug Line
    Posted: 24 Apr 2002 at 4:20pm
How can I start a slug line to Lorton?

Jill Casabianca
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2002 at 4:18pm
Jill,
Check out the link of the homepage on "How to Start a Slug Line" for basic information. My first question would be from where do you want to start the line? Pentagon? 14th Street? Then, the next step would be to assess how much interest there is to start a new line. Do you currently slug from Lorton? I'll be happy to help you start this and give you as much promotion on the website as possible.

hilkertj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilkertj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2002 at 8:46am
Jill,

I'm for it. I'm a driver, and I pick up slugs in Lorton in the AM, but I'm out of luck in the PM. I work in Rosslyn, and all the slugs there seem to go to Prince William County & Stafford. I'd be a dedicated driver.

John

Edited by - hilkertj on 26 Apr 2002 08:50:00
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2002 at 12:01pm
As you may or may not know, the current way to pick up afternoon slugs for Lorton is to walk over to the bus stop at Pentagon and make an announcement. Although I plan on relocating, I would love to see Lorton VRE get its own designated space in the Pentagon parking lot.

Kevin O.
hilkertj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilkertj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2002 at 9:20am
Kevin,

I'm aware of the current procedure, but I'm sure you'll agree, its not the best arrangement for either the driver or the rider - especially in the rain!

By the time one parks/walks/finds/walks-back, you could have been at Edsall Road. Hopefully, with all the folks moving to Lorton in the next couple of years, the need will be realized by the powers-that-be, and a line will be formed.

John

Edited by - hilkertj on 29 Apr 2002 09:22:23
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2002 at 11:16am
Once upon a time, back in the early 90's, there was a commuter lot in Lorton, right across the road from the Shell gas station at the Lorton exit. It was very small and under-utilized, but I used to slug from there when I lived just down the road. (Most often times, I took the bus which stopped right in front of my apartment complex, as I never really knew whether I'd get picked up at the Lorton lot or get a ride home.) It later became a storage area for construction materials and nothing took it's place.

The only parking I can think of in that area is at the shopping center where the Food Lion & Polo Grill are located on Rt. 1, right across the street from the sewage treatment facility. And there's also the AmTrak station -- that's an idea -- I believe they have parking there too. Something to think about if you live around those parts (Lorton's building up like crazy...)

LongBarb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2002 at 11:18am
I drive often from the Lorton VRE in the a.m. to L'Enfant Plaza. (sometimes dropping at Pentagon, and sometimes lucky enough to get riders into town).
There is plenty of parking at the VRE station with the newly expanded lot. I would urge slugs to park there (pass under bridge past the 95exit & AMTRAK station, and follow the signs to the VRE lot) and utilize the Pentagon slug line that exists. I don't see L'Enfant to Lorton lines in the evening at L'Enfant. So for now, finding a Pentagon spot for a LortonVRE would be good. The bus utilizes that VRE station to/from the Pentagon also.

b.
nabbas7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nabbas7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 8:43am
Hi,

I am trying to find drivers from L'enfant to Lorton. Please help...

Thanks
Malik

quote:
Originally posted by hilkertj

Jill,

I'm for it. I'm a driver, and I pick up slugs in Lorton in the AM, but I'm out of luck in the PM. I work in Rosslyn, and all the slugs there seem to go to Prince William County & Stafford. I'd be a dedicated driver.

John

Edited by - hilkertj on 26 Apr 2002 08:50:00

nabbas7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nabbas7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 8:47am

Good morning,

I think we just need to organise our slug line for Lorton from L'enfant. If you need help (such as taking a sign and standing in line at L'enfant, etc), I can help.

Thanks
Malik

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Jill,
Check out the link of the homepage on "How to Start a Slug Line" for basic information. My first question would be from where do you want to start the line? Pentagon? 14th Street? Then, the next step would be to assess how much interest there is to start a new line. Do you currently slug from Lorton? I'll be happy to help you start this and give you as much promotion on the website as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic