Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

610 Commuter Lot Mess!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 610 Commuter Lot Mess!
    Posted: 06 Feb 2004 at 10:34am
I find it so "funny" that the same contractor who had a informational sign running for, oh what was it, at least 3 months advising commuters that the small lot would be closed and no parking would be allowed down the side street cannot warn us of his impending destruction of the only access road we have into and out of our lot, during rush hour traffic, I might add. (Construction crews working on a weekend what a concept...) Hmmm isn't it also odd that this intelligent team of "professionals" completely destroyed the little lot by ripping up all of the asphalt only to then detour all of us through that same area. Only now we are driving over rutted mud and dirt. Again I say,hmmm. And on another although related note, I seem to remember the wonderful City Council members stating that the old lot would not be removed before a new larger replacement lot was avaliable AND another access road behind Annie Moncure Elementary had been completed. Well... didn't happen did it? Yep another instance of our wonderful City Council Members looking out for us. Gary Pash where are you???
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2004 at 12:50pm
The extension to the big lot (which you refer to as a replacement lot) WAS completed WEEKS before they tore up the small lot. It's at the North end of the old lot. Also, the issue of a second, west bound, exit was only mentioned as a POSSIBILITY by Gary Pash and at a couple of town hall meetings I attended. It was being looked at, but I don't know the status. It was never promised by anyone. I feel the better option is to open the road that goes by Moncure.
mellymac View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2004 at 6:21pm
Yes I know the new lot was completed prior to tearing up the old "little" lot. The statement was made because a professional manager deals with planning and scheduling work the smartest most cost efficient way. This developer also has the added concern of keeping the citizens of Stafford County happy. With this said, what I was trying to point out was, wouldn't it have been SMARTER to wait to tear up the old lot after the water lines were put in. This would have given the buses and the drivers a descent surface to be detoured onto verses the rutted dirt and mud.
And to address the other point I made regarding the new road behind Annie Moncure. Yes it was promised by the City Council. I was the person who stood before them to voice my complaints of how they have been "dealing" with the commuter lots and lack of parking. It was then that Mr. Gibbons assured me that their plan was to wait until that road was complete before releasing the little lot to the developer.
I agree opening the road thru Annie Moncure would greatly help alleviate traffic congestion in the evenings but once they closed it to thru traffic they have refused to even consider only opening it after school hours. I feel so sorry for the people who live down that road and have to go thru all that mess just to get a gallon of milk or deliver a child to basketball practice.
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2004 at 10:41am
I totally agree with Mellymac! VERY VERY poor planning to do the work during the rush hour! With respect to our city council....it really shouldn't come as a big surprise, they don't seem to be taking a very proactive approach to try to slow growth and implement the proper planning for development.
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2004 at 12:05pm
Ok, I was caught in that mess too, and agree doing this type of work during the evening commute was not a real bright idea. However, do you think our politicians might take us more seriously if we actually understood the system somewhat before we made our complaints? Maybe I missed the announcement, but how can we have a city council to blame when we don't have a city?
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2004 at 2:13pm
I took her to mean our county supervisors.....and we do have those and they don't do a very good job of planning for or controlling growth
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2004 at 9:35am
mellymac - if our "city council" promised a new exit, I was not aware of that promise. I do know that at the few 'open house' meetings I attended with Gary Pash, he stated that he was going to try to get a western exit from the Staffordborough Lot opened up behind the school. The only other slug I remember being at those meetings was Matrix. Mr Pash (or any other politician at the meeting) never promised one. If someone else did, I am not aware of that.

I am not argueing against you that they did some poor planning. (And if you are a professional manager you may have heard of the saying that no plan, no matter how good the plan or how well executed, survives its first contact with reality.) I was meerly pointing out that the two things you said never happened either did happen (the extension to the lot) or, to my knowledge, was never promised (the 2nd exit).

But then again, if we never had problems or disagreements in this world, life would be oh so dull.
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2004 at 9:52am
I have heard that saying and certainly can see how it applys to war but not to county planning. In war and other situations, you have to interact with an opposing force that is beyond your control but in county planning, it is the planners who control all the players. They control the regulations by which we all must play.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2004 at 3:49pm
Having spent several years in the construction business, believe me when I say the saying does indeed apply. I have yet to find a profession/career field where it does not apply.
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 1:38pm
It looks like we have been talking about this subject for a while
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic