Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taurus LX with Clean Fuel Plates in HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taurus LX with Clean Fuel Plates in HOV
    Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 11:03am
There is a silver Taurus LX with the following clean fuel plate (2417CF) in the I-395 HOV lanes.

(1.) Is a Taurus LX a clean fuel car?

(2.) How do I report to DMV about violations of use of clean fuel plates?

(3.) Where is the list of approved clean fuel cars for Virginia?

Thanks!
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 11:09am
I've seen a lot of non-hybrid cars with CF tags on lately. i don't know what the deal is with that.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 11:59am

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 12:03pm
I believe cars that run on CNG (Clean or compressed natural gas, can never remember which) also qualify as clean fuel cars and therefore qualify for the tags. Check out the back of the vehicle. If you see the letters "CNG" ensconced in a blue diamond, that's a CNG car and, unfortunately, perfectly legal in the HOV lanes without the need for three riders. Plus, remember that a lot of manufacturers (including Ford) are coming out with their own Hybrids some time this year. You never know, maybe you were one of the first to see one of these new cars!!
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 1:29pm
I can already see the HOV becoming useless. Maybe they should change the name since it isn't necessary to have at least 3 passanger anymore.
SkinsFan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkinsFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 2:49pm
On Monday I saw a Ford Explorer with clean fuel plates. I didn't know to look for the CNG diamond, but I'll be looking from now on.
PC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2004 at 12:38pm
What is a converted vehicle?

A: A converted vehicle is one that was originally designed to operate on gasoline but has been altered to run on an alternative fuel such as compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), also commonly referred to as propane, the two most common types of fuel conversions.

Some conversion systems are designed to run on either an alternative fuel or conventional gasoline. These bi-fuel systems are advantageous for drivers who do not always have access to an alternative fuel refueling station.

Dual-fuel systems are designed to run on combinations of an alternative fuel with gasoline. Unlike bi-fuel vehicles, which allow the use of only one fuel at a time, dual-fuel systems inject both fuels into the combustion chamber at the same time. Dual-fuel systems are used mostly in heavy-duty or diesel engines, while bi-fuel systems are usually used in passenger cars or trucks.

Dedicated conversion systems run on only one fuel. Generally, dedicated vehicles have improved emissions performance because they are tuned to optimize operations on only one fuel.

Open-loop conversion systems are used in older model-year vehicles that do not have computerized fuel control systems. Open-loop systems do not provide optimum emissions performance and are slowly becoming obsolete as older cars are taken out of service. Newer closed-loop systems provide optimum emissions performance by carefully controlling the fuel/air mixture to the engine. Closed-loop systems are, therefore, preferable to open-loop. These systems carefully control the air/fuel ratio in the engine to optimize emissions performance, whereas an open-loop system is throttle regulated and does not allow for optimal emissions performance.

More than 30,000 CNG vehicles and 300,000 LPG vehicles are in use today in the United States, according to estimates by the American Gas Association and the National Propane Gas Association.

Q: How much will it cost to convert my car?

A: CNG conversion kits cost anywhere from $2,500 to $4,000; LPG kits cost about $1,500-$2,000. Closed loop conversions are generally more expensive than open-loop systems. The number of tanks used is also a cost factor.

To help offset the cost, the federal government has set up financial incentives for individuals converting their own vehicles and companies converting fleets. Under the National Energy Policy Act of 1992 (P.L. 102-486), a person or business can take a tax deduction for up to $2,000 for a passenger vehicle and up to $50,000 for a heavy-duty truck.

Q: Is it legal to convert my vehicle?

A: Federal tampering provisions under Section 203 of the Clean Air Act explain that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is concerned with emissions effects created by altering or modifying motor vehicles from their original certified configuration.

PC
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2004 at 12:17pm
As long as they have the required license plates, they are allowed.

I've seen many "hybrid" cars with normal plates on HOV. These cars are not legally in HOV without 3 people, but there's apparently no enforcement on this. I believe it's a $10 one time fee to get the plates for a qualifying car.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2004 at 1:07pm
One thing to remember, also, is that FEDERAL law allows the exemption for CNG and propane vehicles (don't know if there are any other types), so the controversy about the Virginia law on hybrids is a separate issue.

I have colleagues who bought CNG-powered vehicles for this purpose. One of them has done a ton of research and has found that, under the law as literally written, a bi-fuel vehicle does not qualify for the CF license plate because the law says that the vehicle must run exclusively on the clean fuel. Think about what a bonanza it would be for people otherwise--you buy the bi-fuel car, get your CF plate, and then never run it on the clean fuel. Obviously an abuse to be avoided.
WoodbridgeSlug3451 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodbridgeSlug3451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 6:08pm
I think that car is a duel fuel it also runs on E85

Slug-On
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic