Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road - Splitting 14th and 18th Streets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horner Road - Splitting 14th and 18th Streets
    Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 8:55am
This has been discussed a bit before, but this morning's experience has cemented (in my mind) that the DC destinations at Horner need to be split up between 14th and 18th. This morning nearly all the riders were 14th and all the drivers were 18th. The cars going to 18th (that no one was getting into) backed up and prevented people from getting to the few 14th cars (yes, we have the additional problem of a backwards line).

For those of you who are familiar with Horner, do you have any suggestions as to how the lines can be split? I've thought about it, but am having difficulty coming up with something workable.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 11:48am
The Horner road splitting of Pent/cc/RS has worked well for many of the single-destination slugs. We had the same problem of backed-up cars and other friction problems. It wasted a lot of time, but the situation is much better now for many of us.

Cheers,

Glacier
Hopeful View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopeful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 10:13pm

Is that always the case, or does it vary from day-to day? What do you do if there are not enough cars going to where you need to go?
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2004 at 8:19am
Hi Hopeful. It varies. Sometimes it's completely opposite. If no one is going to where you need to go, you just wait. Maybe some people can switch, if they don't mind walking 4 or more blocks. But I work on 10th and there's no way I'm walking 8 blocks...4 is enough. So you just hold out and hope someone will show up (and they will...it just takes a good while some days).

quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful
[br]____________________________________
This morning nearly all the riders were 14th and all the drivers were 18th.

Is that always the case, or does it vary from day-to day? What do you do if there are not enough cars going to where you need to go?

horner buddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horner buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]This has been discussed a bit before, but this morning's experience has cemented (in my mind) that the DC destinations at Horner need to be split up between 14th and 18th. This morning nearly all the riders were 14th and all the drivers were 18th. The cars going to 18th (that no one was getting into) backed up and prevented people from getting to the few 14th cars (yes, we have the additional problem of a backwards line).

For those of you who are familiar with Horner, do you have any suggestions as to how the lines can be split? I've thought about it, but am having difficulty coming up with something workable.

pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2004 at 9:14am
Can *anyone* think of a way to split the 14th and 18th lines?? Because of the bus strike, this morning the line was so long it formed a U. Something has GOT to be done.
Fite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2004 at 10:00am
I was just complaining about this to a guy in my office who also slugs from Horner. I have an idea but nobody will do it because 1- it may just work and 2- the 18th people may have to stand in the parking lot [:(] (cry me a river). Any way here is my idea.

www.bahafite.com/Slug.jpg Go here to see a illustration of what I mean.

Make the starting point the pattern on the road before the bus stop and make 3 lines. 1st - Lafant/Navy Yard by the curb since there are 2 places to go and the can go right out. 2nd - 14th, and 3rd - 18th. Whoever is by the curb is the next to get a ride, just like at an amusment park. This way it is obviouse who is next and where they are going. I go to 18th and will have no problem standing off the curb in the parking lot. Plus nobody parks there for a while anyway.

Or my other idea is have color cards for each place. When a place is called if you go there raise up you card and you can tell who is next and how many are before you. But heres the hard part........you will have to pay attention. Any way sorry for the sarcasm but its getting to be a giant C.F. there.

Ok I just realized this has nothing to do with the length of the car line. Well almost every morning I look around the lot to try and find a good spot to have cars go to pick up 18th riders or whoever. One spot would be right behind the line in the parking lot. Past that I really haven't been able to see a decent sized place to do this. I would still like to see my idea up top to happen to resolve the "HEY I WAS NEXT BUSTER" problem.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2004 at 12:26pm
Thanks for taking the time to do the illustration, Fite. I also agree that the car lines need to be separated as well. I was wondering if that 3rd lot could be utilized somehow (I can't remember if there's a way for cars coming in from Telegraph to get into that lot). If so, that could at least allow us to separate the lines into two.

I like your card idea, but I don't think it would work. It's too civilized :), and of course you'd have people losing their card, forgetting them, not wanting to use them, etc. Hopefully having shorter lines where people could more easily see who is going where could alleviate the line-cutting issue.

tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2004 at 2:54pm
When the cars no one wants are blocking the front of the line, why don't you guys just "walk the line" until you reach a car going to your destination instead of standing there waiting for the line to come to you?

Standing there (regardless of whether you really need two separate lines for 14th & 18th) just kills the whole idea behind slugging--effiency.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2004 at 10:16pm
Do you slug from Horner? What you propose is easier said than done. Some people just don't want to walk. I don't know why, but they don't. This morning the people in the middle of the line decided to walk, and the people at the front had a fit. I tend to agree with your idea, but I don't think it would work - even though it is a simple concept.

quote:
Originally posted by tulipgirl67
[br]When the cars no one wants are blocking the front of the line, why don't you guys just "walk the line" until you reach a car going to your destination instead of standing there waiting for the line to come to you?

Standing there (regardless of whether you really need two separate lines for 14th & 18th) just kills the whole idea behind slugging--effiency.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic