Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUpdate on HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on HOT Lanes
    Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 2:36pm
I thought I would create a new thread on HOT lanes since I do have some information that I think would be of interest.

There are two bills in Richmond that I know of at this time. One of them is designed to set up enforcement and fines, etc for future HOT lanes (HB151). The other one which has passed a committee vote is to establish funding mechanisms for new statewide road construction (HB117). It includes funding mechanisms using tolls from HOT lanes.

I corresponded with Delegate Lingamfelter about what has been going on. I had thoroughly searched the VDOT website and could not find anything new on the HOT proposal for 95.

In a nutshell, the Beltway HOT proposal is moving along, as far as I can tell. The 95 proposal is still just an unsolicited proposal. I discussed my strong concerns with this proposal, in that it would be a nightmare for current HOV users. Mr. Lingamfelter was very nice and said that our concerns do need to be considered. Right know, as you may know, the legislators are involved in an intense budget battle.

One other note. I have sent some emails to transit agencies, including Metro to see where they stand. To me it is obvious that they should be against it for 95.

Bob
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 8:45am
Thanks for doing the leg work and getting the info. I agree that HOT lanes would result in more gridlock.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 10:46am
I dont think we can say just yet that it will result in more grid lock. I would like to see more information on this before I condemn it to failure. We definitely need extensions to the HOV lanes past Fredericksburg and it looks like there is no movement there by the VDOT. Something has to be done to fix the issue where the HOV lanes merge near Quantico! Gets worse with each passing week and is almost unbearable during the summer!
LJD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 1:56pm
I'm still unsure about HOT. We need additional capacity, but I don't think the Flour (?) proposal addresses everything. First, what is the "optimum" speed to allow single entry into HOT/V? Is 55mph ok? What about 35? Having toll booths at each entry could be a good thing if every car is monitored for HOV3 or toll. If it's simply an EZ Pass system, enforcement would be a nightmare.
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 2:20pm
Commuters in this area can afford to pay a toll and will if it means getting to work quicker. Here's the problem; instead of 3 regular and 2 HOV lanes, we will now have 5 regular (gridlock) lanes. It will look like the HOV at 3pm. Slugging as we know it will end.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2004 at 2:51pm
quote:
Originally posted by LJD
[br]I'm still unsure about HOT. We need additional capacity, but I don't think the Flour (?) proposal addresses everything. First, what is the "optimum" speed to allow single entry into HOT/V? Is 55mph ok? What about 35? Having toll booths at each entry could be a good thing if every car is monitored for HOV3 or toll. If it's simply an EZ Pass system, enforcement would be a nightmare.

You will still have gridlock/backup in the transition from the 3 lane HOV/HOT to the two lane HOV inside the beltway. My understanding is that it is cost prohibitive to expand the I395 HOV to 3 lanes using the safety standards employed on the I-95 HOV. One study from 1999 that examined going to HOV2 outside the beltway indicated that avg speeds would drop to around 25-20 mph from the Rte 1/Occ. area up to the beltway (Level of Service of E to F) during the height of the morning commute by 2010. Granted, that was with the existent 2-lane system and the HOT proposes 3-lanes, but I still think the net effect (more SOV cars clogging 3 lanes) under the HOT-scheme would be the same...

- Will
Halscomputer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halscomputer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 8:36am
I-95 Hot Lanes Unsolicited PPTA Proposals
http://www.virginiadot.org/business/ppta-I-95HotLanes.asp

Capital Beltway High-Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes
http://www.virginiadot.org/business/ppta-defaultHOTLANESCapitalBeltway.asp

Hal
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 1:12pm
I just spent a half hour on this proposal and it is mind-boggling.

Here is the story with just one aspect - the enforcment of HOV. When this thing is operational, ALL users will have to have a smart tag. This includes carpools, slugpools. You go through the entrance point and it reads your smart tag and license plate. If you carpool or pick up slugs, you would have to be registered as a "car pool." Then, they need to enforce the HOV part. So what they mention is that they are going to make the HOV users line up in a special restricted lane, so that the cops can look inside your car. This is while all the Lexus's are whizzing past you. (That's the way I interpret it). They also say that they eventually want to implement and automated HOV enforcement with cameras, but that they realize that privacy issues are involved, in that there would be someone zooming in on your car with a telephoto lens.

Separately, there is not one mention of the fact that the 14th street bridge is the choke point. Restriping for 3 lanes wont change that.

Also, I read the other day that in California, the HOT started out as free to carpools and then later they starting charging one-half toll.

Bob
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 6:13pm
Lets just face it. :( If HOT lanes get approved then it will be the end of Slugging as we know it. But really why wouldn't a state senator in Richmond approve the HOT idea. Free roads and the only people there are going to offend is the 50,000 or so people that use the HOV lanes. (that number is on the Slug-Lines.com web site) HELLO..... we are the minority. Some state senator from Roanoke isn't going to care about slugging in Northern VA when it comes down to state budgets and the condition of the state's road system. So enjoy it now. In ten years this whole "slug" thing will be but a memory. Plus the sky is falling and Soylent Green is Peolpe.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 8:40am
New Beltway HOT lanes article on Channel 7 site:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0404/136733.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic