Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUpdate on HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 10:04am
I wanted to reference a very good article in the Potomac News today but it is not available on their website. It mentioned a very interesting aspect of the Beltway proposal that I wasn't aware of. Initially, the proposal would have included concrete barriers between the HOT lane and regular lanes. But due to opposition about the fact that 200 homes would have to be bulldozed, they changed the plan so to take away the barriers. I'll bet that would work really well. What a bunch of MORONS.

Bob
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 1:16pm
Let me try to put in my 2 cents without looking stupid... Back in Seattle where I am from they have built a second layer on top of the existing freeway. Why can't they do that on top of the HOV and have that strictly be for HOT lanes and leave the lower lanes for HOV? Then everyone is happy??[:I]
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 5:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by Juli
[br]Let me try to put in my 2 cents without looking stupid... Back in Seattle where I am from they have built a second layer on top of the existing freeway. Why can't they do that on top of the HOV and have that strictly be for HOT lanes and leave the lower lanes for HOV? Then everyone is happy??[:I]

Main reason is cost--immense cost, not just to build this, but also to deal with the existing interchanges. This idea would involve rebuilding all of those. Plus the difficulty of constructing it without totally messing up the traffic during construction, and then they also have to find a place at either end for the on/off ramps, and places throughout these lanes for this as well. The cost would be prohibitive.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2004 at 12:48pm
Yes. Good idea though.
Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 11:40am
HOT lanes are just going to allow the rich drivers to add to over crowded roads AND add to the pollution we're trying to cut.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 11:47am
I don't think the mayority of us are in the position to pay a toll in a daily basis to get to work quicker. Some will. Will we? The same people who chose to be sitting in the regular lanes are the ones who can afford to pay a toll. They already can affor to burn gas by sitting hours in the regular lanes. As someone said before, instead of two HVO and 3 regular lanes, we will have 5 regular lanes.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 5:01pm
I think that's a fantasic idea! It sure would make the ones that don't want to pay mad that they lost a lane. Maybe that's the incentive they need to triple up.[8D]
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 11:49am
Beltway Hot Lane meeting is scheduled for April 29 (see link)

The panel reviewing the Beltway Hot Lanes will make its recommendation in May. What is not stated is whether the I-95/395 proposal will be discussed. I will try to find out.

http://www.virginiadot.org/business/ppta-default.asp
Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 1:33pm
After reading through the first proposal (Clark/SCC/KPRI), I'm a little concerned. Their proposal effectively makes the lanes HOV-3 or toll 24-hours per day, every day. No more free rides during off-peak periods.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 12:32pm
That concerns me greatly!!! Not to mention the traffic Mon-Fri but imagine the weekends.[V]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic