Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arlington Police ask for Rosslyn Slug Support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arlington Police ask for Rosslyn Slug Support
    Posted: 30 Apr 2002 at 7:02am
I received the following email from one of the officers at the Arlington Police department regarding the Rosslyn Slug Line. They are really trying to help us in this move.

Hey crew...

I'm all for slugging, but lately we've had some complaints regarding
the slug lines in Rosslyn. I am one of the bike officers that has been patrolling down there and helping people relocate the line. I know some people don't approve of the move and others like it so I'm curious how people have perceived the recent move...?

I am also PLEADING with you to put out a notice or add to your etiquette one little note. When the lines back up to a point where cars are blocking private driveways or intersections, please have people circle around the block or at least allow those vehicles not attempting to "slug" to exit with little delay.

These complaints are coming from the tenants of 1911 N. Ft.Myer Drive
and I do understand their complaint, but we are running out of solutions short of moving the line to a TOTALLY NEW location that is really inconvenient to everyone involved!

I'm soliciting solutions and information as your "followers" may
contribute!

Thanks in advance...

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2002 at 10:51am
I know signage costs, but perhaps a reminder for folks not to block the exit (between the buildings, just past the bank, for those who've never noticed) would be in order.

Also, one thing that blocks things up is that there are still some parking meters that probably ought to be removed. I'm talking about particularly about the last two right before the slug line location. By and large, if the drivers waiting for pickup could stay right on the curb, there's room for cars to squeeze by on their left. I don't know if those three or four parking meters make that much of a difference to the businesses there, but they DEFINITELY form chokepoints for the traffic.

- Eric.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2002 at 3:04pm
Another suggestion is that any slugs waiting in the Pr William
line should "walk the line" of cars and ask destinations.
The first person in line should do this. (This assumes that
there are slugs present). Also, if the line walker finds that
any of the cars are Stafford, then direct them to pull out
and move on up. Drivers, please have signs that you can
hold up. This is very useful when there is a backup.

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2002 at 3:27pm
quote:

I received the following email from one of the officers at the Arlington Police department regarding the Rosslyn Slug Line. They are really trying to help us in this move.

Hey crew...

I'm all for slugging, but lately we've had some complaints regarding
the slug lines in Rosslyn. I am one of the bike officers that has been patrolling down there and helping people relocate the line. I know some people don't approve of the move and others like it so I'm curious how people have perceived the recent move...?

I am also PLEADING with you to put out a notice or add to your etiquette one little note. When the lines back up to a point where cars are blocking private driveways or intersections, please have people circle around the block or at least allow those vehicles not attempting to "slug" to exit with little delay.

These complaints are coming from the tenants of 1911 N. Ft.Myer Drive
and I do understand their complaint, but we are running out of solutions short of moving the line to a TOTALLY NEW location that is really inconvenient to everyone involved!

I'm soliciting solutions and information as your "followers" may
contribute!

Thanks in advance...

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2002 at 10:47am
The few times I have seen congestion at the new location seemed to be related to the vehicles parked at the remaining meters - they cause the line of vehicles to swing out into the next lane, blocking a lane of traffic. No parking 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM might not completely solve the problem but it would definitely help.

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic