Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 9:51pm
I am encouraged that we are getting responses and attention to the now critical situation at Horner Road. I appreciate the fact that PW County Police have "allowed" slugging but I think the police, the officials, VDOT and whomever else must recognize that if we don't have slugging it will cripple our (those of us who work in DC) ability to get to work! Everyday I look over at the regular lanes and thank God I don't have to be there. In addition, my agency has NO parking and I am a single female on a very limited budget who frankly, can't afford to drive even if it was an option. If I am suddenly forced to either drive and pay for parking or take the bus everyday I'd never make it financially. In addition, the number of buses currently available would NEVER accommodate the number of people who would need to use the system if there was no slugging.

All this being said, my point is, PW County has NO CHOICE but to "ALLOW" slugging! Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for safety and for protecting everyone using Horner Road. But Friday morning is a blatant example of how good intentions can turn a bad situation into something much, much worse! I think what we need is someone in the Traffic Control area to take a REALISTIC and SYMPATHETIC look at what is happening with slugging and quickly come to some conclusion. I am all for discussing as well as trying different ways until we find a viable solution. I don't think we should be forced to accept just any solution. We should be open-minded and willing to cooperate with the powers that be as long as they support our situation. However, if we get resistance to slugging I truly feel we need to band together and make as much "noise" by bringing the media and whomever else in to make a case for continuing slugging.
ronsray View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 2:34pm
[:D]This was posted under another topic, but it works here too---[8)]I'm sure you all have noticed that the AM lines at Horner Road have become a mess. There a a few reasons for this. 1. The line of cars is trying to pick up riders for 14th & 18th Sts at the same location. 2. They cannot match driver with rider fast enough. 3. The line backs up onto telegraph road, causing a dangerous mess. I wrote a letter to VDOT about this, suggesting that they post signs to split the lines so there are separate lines for 14th & 18 sts. The 18th st line could also accomodate L'Enfast & Navy Yard, since most riders go to 14th. They responded that there is not much support for that concept from the rest of the slugging community, as they monitor this web site & have not seen it mentioned here. Well, here it is-------- Make all 4 lanes 1 direction inbound from telegraph rd in the morning. Then we can split the lines with 14th on 1 side & 18th on the other. There would be 2 lanes on both sides so the traffic could still get by. Cars exiting the lot would still be able to exit from the older exit onto Pr. Wm. Pkwy. Any other suggestions? Please post a reply if you think this is a good idea! I think it could make our wait much shorter & eliminate the backup onto telegraph rd. Come on VDOT !!

Ron

Ron
rupshur View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 5:00pm
Morning slug line vehicle traffic flow through Horner Road Commuter lot (West End for DC commuters) needs to be modified to provide for:

1) A more efficient pick-up process.
2) Safer conditions for pedestrians as well and drivers.
3) Stop the practice of vehicular traffic being parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
4) Stop slug line interference with the buses and their bus stop.

To accomplish the above, the current AM slug line (West End for DC commuters) needs to be moved and divided into two separate lines.

1) 18th Street and State Dept bound slug line needs to start at the east entrance of the north parking lot.
#61623; The vehicles waiting line is to extend from this entrance around to the outer parking lot lane in the north-westward direction.
#61623; This puts all commuters headed to DC via the Memorial Bridge in the same line.

2) 14th Street, L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard bound slug line needs to start at the east entrance of the south parking lot.
#61623; The vehicles waiting line is to extend from this entrance around to the outer parking lot lane in the south-westward direction.
#61623; This puts all commuters headed to DC via the 14th Street Bridge in the same line.

Other advantages of this arrangement are:
#61623; The vehicle waiting lines will not interfere with those wishing to park in the outer rows because these parking slots will be the first to be filled each morning because they will be near the beginning of the slug lines.
#61623; With the vehicle waiting lines off the street, this should end the practice of vehicular traffic parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
#61623; Additionally, there should be no more interference with the buses and their bus lanes.
#61623; Drivers wishing to get in these vehicles lines would enter the respective parking lots at the entrances just to the west of the bus stops and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.

ALTERNATIVE: Same as above, however switch the starting points of vehicle waiting lines to the parking lot entrances just to the west of the bus stops.
#61623; Drivers wishing to get in these vehicles lines would enter the respective parking lots at the east entrances and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.
#61623; This alternative would put the slug pickup point at more centralized locations.
18thstreetcommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18thstreetcommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2004 at 12:58pm
Excellent suggestion RUPSHUR ! I second your suggestion! Let's give it a try and see how it works.

I'm a visual learner and not clear on where the lines would then be formed.

So, if I'm turning right into the parking lot from Telegraph, does the 18th Street line form in the parking area at the first immediate right? And do the cars picking up people line up perpendicular to the parked cars in that parking lot (similar to how it is for the Pen/Ross/CC lines)?

And then does the 14th Street line form at the second right (very close to where the entire line is now)?
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 6:14am
Rupshur,
If I understand correctly, your suggestions sound like a great solution. I am suppose to speak with the Eastern District PWC Police Commander today and I will present the split to him.

My intent in meeting with the Police Department is to gain their support and assistance in whatever the slugs come up with. They're reasonable - they want to make this easier/better too.
ronsray View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 8:11am
Admin, Please also discuss the possibility of making all 4 lanes from Telegraph Rd. inbound to the lot in the morning. That would allow us to have 2 separate lines in the morning, both along the main roads, not in the parking areas, and with 2 lanes on each side there would be plently of room for cars/buses to get by.

Ron
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 9:40am
If they would like to meet with some of us after work or in the morning to work on this at Horner road please let me know. Being there at the lot to get a clear picture of what goes on would be best.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 9:55am
One good way to discuss any changes to the lines would be to have a map posted that has numbers at various places around the lot. That way everyone would be able to communicate on this.
slugger94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 3:15pm
For the past week, I could not figure out what was going on with the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines as there has (all of a sudden) been a surge of vehicles picking up while the number of riders have remained the same, that is until I realized there has been such an unfortunate incident (Fri 12 Mar) in the west lot.

From my experience of splitting the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines, I find that you will never be able to please everyone. I had been talking to folks I ride with (both driver and rider) for a whole year (off and on) about the lines prior to the split. Most have been unhappy about the wait but resigned to just going with the flow. Many are also very quick to give their two cents but not willing to offer a hand when asked to help. I realized no one was going to do anything about it unless I did.

Prior to the split, the line was often 40-50 deep, people yelling out the destination of the cars, people anticipating their turn, and the wait could be as short as 10 min or as long as 30 minutes. I was tired to consistently missing my connecting bus at the Pentagon, and being late to work. Standing out in the cold made the wait even worse.

I drew up a plan one day by surveying the parking lot to ensure safety (always #1), traffic flow, and sufficient space for the cars to line up. Then I distributed fliers with directions and map over the next three days. During that weekend, I build signs and put them out Sunday evening. The next morning it went into effect.

Sure, there was some confusion the first few days (to be expected) but it ironed out very quickly. Although some are quick to complain (immediately after the split as you can see on this bulletin board), everyone I have spoken to for the past month and a half have been happy about it. There is almost never a line of people anymore and if there is, the wait is no more than a few minutes.

Whatever you folks decide to do, I certainly hope the problem can be resolved quickly before the authorities have to be more involved. Worse case scenario, they could suspend the line until a solution is found. That will not be good as that will effect the downtown sluggers and driver, plus can greatly effect the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines (we are already feeling some effect). In reading this bulletin board, I noticed this split idea for the 14th and 18th street has been going on for a while. Realize that we can sometimes plan ourselves to death. Too many census, suggestions, ideas, talks, e-mails, etc. can drag this out unnecessarily. Believe me, everyone wants their two cents heard but many will not be so excited to help. Keep it low key, come up with a good idea, get a small team together if you want, and just implement it.

Doesn't matter what you do, there will be people who will always complain. Way I see it, if everyone gets in a car safely and down the road with minimal wait time, then I am doing the right thing. Those who don't like it, they can always ride the bus, and leave the hundreds of us who are grateful we can slug efficiently alone.
18thstreetcommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18thstreetcommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 7:46am
Kind of a different approach ... How about suggesting that the old Lowe's or old Hechinger's (near the KFC on Dale Blvd.) parking lots be converted to commuter lots too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic