Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 7:54am
The Hechingers was sold to Cowles ford and is suppose to be some huge multicar dealership soon.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 9:07am
Is there any chance you could devise a plan that could help the 14th st/18th st riders?
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 12:51pm
swichowski,

Not to get off topic, but how and when did you hear about this?

quote:
Originally posted by swichowski
[br]The Hechingers was sold to Cowles ford and is suppose to be some huge multicar dealership soon.

14thalltheway View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14thalltheway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 1:51pm
I think the best solution for Horner Road would be for all the L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard people to stop coming to Horner Rd. They should find somewhere else to slug and leave Horner Road for just 14th and 18th street people.[^]
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2004 at 8:16am
tlschau
I saw it in the Potomac News a few months ago
rupshur View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2004 at 10:26am
18thstreetcommuter,

Sorry I'm just getting a chance to respond to your 16 Mar memo.

For the 18th Street and State Dept bound slug line, it would start at the far east entrance of the north parking lot.
-- The "people" waiting line would be along the north sidewalk and extend westward toward the bus stop.
-- The "vehicle" waiting line would extend from this entrance and around the outer parking lot lane in the north-westward direction.
-- This puts all commuters headed to DC via the Memorial Bridge in the same line.

For the 14th Street, L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard bound slug line would start at the east entrance of the south parking lot.
-- The "people" waiting line would be along the south sidewalk and extend westward toward the bus stop.
-- The "vehicle" waiting line is to extend from this entrance around the outer parking lot lane in the south-westward direction.
-- This puts all commuters headed to DC via the 14th Street Bridge in the same line.

Other advantages of this arrangement are:
-- The "vehicle" waiting lines will not interfere with those wishing to park in the outer rows because these parking slots will be the first to be filled each morning because they will be near the beginning of the slug lines.
-- With the "vehicle" waiting lines off the street, this should end the practice of vehicular traffic parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
-- Additionally, there should be no more interference with the buses and their bus lanes.
-- Drivers wishing to get in these "vehicles" lines would enter the respective parking lots at the entrances just to the west of the bus stops and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.

If my word description is too difficult to visualize, I could attempt putting together a map, but can anyone provide me with an electronic map of the Horner Road Parking Lot? I can mark it up and try to post it for everyone's review.

Slugger94, do you have an electronic map of Horner Road Parking Lot?

Thanks.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 6:00am
The best solutions and suggestions come from slugs! VDOT contacted me yesterday and stated they liked Rupshur's idea. They even went so far as to say they might erect signs for slugs to help the situation.

Although VDOT can't make the meeting with PWC police this morning, they certainly want to help and are monitoring the comments on this message board.

slugger94 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 1:43pm
Rupshur, I don't have a map. I drew mine with PowerPoint.

I think you have a good idea, too. Maps will really help (don't forget to add a directional marker- North/E/S/W). If you want a sample of my map, I can e-mail it to you or you can pick one up at the bus stops at the east parking lot at Horner Rd. I think there are still some there.

It is nice that VDOT will be willing to erect signs. Signs with arrows will help significantly. Actually, the louder the sign (like bright pink) the better it is at catching the driver's attention.

Good luck!
rupshur View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 9:30pm
slugger94, if you can email me your map, I'd appreciate it. My email is rupshur@aol.com
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 10:58am
I met with the PWC police department and traffic management on 24 Mar to present some of the suggestions by slugs for relieving the congestion in the new lot at Horner Road. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, and postings on the forum. I was very impressed with their willingness to help slugs and eagerness to accomodate the ideas from slugs. In other words, the slugging system works well because slugs generally solve slug problems.

Here are some of the options:
Powerpoint Version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options.mht

Acrobat version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options.pdf

PLEASE EITHER VOTE ON THE POLL OR LEAVE COMMENTS HERE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic