Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prince William police breaking up Slugline
    Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 7:34am
Why did the Prince William police decide to tell cars not to stop at Horner Road and would not let them pick up slugs. Cars were driving all over the lot looking for people. They want to mess up a system that has been in place for years. We need to act on this!
map077 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 8:43am
I spoke with the officer at Horner Road this morning, Friday, March 12th. He was given an order to come to the commuter lot this morning and redirect the cars because he was told the cars entering to pick up people overflowed onto Telegraph and were causing a dangerous situation. I told him to just look at what was happening at that moment - it was chaos! The cars were still spilling over onto Telegraph plus there was major confusion for everyone with people walking all over the place looking for a car to pick them up. I agree, we need to do something about this and it needs to be done now. The officer said the commuter lot is State property so we need to contact our state officials for our area. Bottom line - the bus service in Pr Wm County CANNOT accommodate the number of commuters in our area even if we all wanted to ride! Slugging is the only viable solution and it needs to be kept in place without interference!
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:19am
What time did this happen? I was at the lot around 7:15am and no problems.

Cheers,

Glacier
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:57am
This was at the DC lines at 6:50
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 1:21pm
Yes I was there this morning that was crazy, I ended up going around the parking lot and U-turning and went to Potomac to pickup,It look like another line of cars had formed and there was no end that was in itself a very dangerous situation,there were a few cars that almost had a fender bender. The problem for the last week with traffic over flow onto Telegraph was the line being turned around, the person's that think turning the line around does not think about the fact that when you turn the line around that causes a back up of cars waiting to pick up, only one car at a time can pull up to pickup, with the line in the regular direction at least 4 cars can pullup,pickup and move out. And with gas prices rising by the second I really do not appreciate sitting there longer then normal burning gas like it's FREE![:(!]

Mrs. B
ronsray View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 4:24pm
Please look at the topic [:)]Fix Horner Road Lines[:)] This would go a long way towards fixing this.

Ron
slugdriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 6:19pm
This morning's crackdown on slugline traffic was non-effective (cars still were queing on Telegraph Rd, the stated reason form police intervention) and as said caused mass confusion! Some one should find out who we should call about this to complain: police, VDOT, our PW delegates or who. Then we can start a phone or e-mail campaign!

The root of the problem is the volume and time it takes to pick up DC destined sluggers...I'm all for splitting 14th and 18th/Navy etc but the suggestion on the forum (4 lanes in from Telegraph in the AM, lines on both sides)...it ain't gonna happen.

Would something else work....what about queing inside the lots (parallel to the street and the "existing" slugline, just on the lot side of the sidewalk), exiting out of the lots to the right, back onto the main road after picking up slugs? Since there are several entrances to lots, maybe the line could be split. Of course, no sluggers could park along the sidewalks and the lots would be more congested until they fill up.

Any other "workable" ideas not requiring official intervention? Who decides anyway? [?]
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 6:41pm
I am not a Horner slug, but I will add this: You need an adequate amount of room for cars to back up while waiting. The amt of room must be adequate to accommodate the worst situation. Obviously, there is not enough room for cars to line up here without interfering with Telegraph. It appears the location of the line should be moved if this becomes a regular occurrence.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 7:15am
We need to work together on resolving this for the benefit of everybody. A similiar situation happened in Crystal City a few years back, but working with the authorities, we reached a compromise. Prince William police have "allowed" slugging to occur without intervention but when it become a real safety issue they are obligated to step in.

Let's, as slugs, come up with two or three ways to solve this and I'll try to arrange a meeting with PWC police so we can get this fixed! If they come up with solutions for us, we may not be happy. So, let's develop our our suggestions to propose to them.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 11:06am
I just finished speaking with the PWC police department regarding the Horner Road issue. Since the Traffic Management offices are closed on weekends I could not speak to representative. Traffic Management is the office to help resolve this issue.

I did discuss the problem with the office on charge today. Since there is a shift change early Monday morning, and he does not know who will be working that area, his recommendation was to speak to the officers on duty Monday. I will try to coordinate some relief or assistance from the department (as opposed to issuing citation).

IF YOU HAVE IDEAS OR RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW YOU WOULD WANT TO SOLVE THE TRAFFICE PROBLEMS, I NEED YOUR IDEAS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic