Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 3:55pm
Wow, another gifted one! Cheers!
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 12:39pm
It is the driver's choice whether or not they talk on their cell phone while driving. It is their car so they get to decide on the radio station, the temperature, their cell phone usage. While I do appreciate a courteous driver who chooses to not engage in long, drawn out conversations, it is still their choice. If I don't like some of their choices they make as a driver (reckless driving, talking on the cell too much, cleanliness), then I have the choice to not ride with them again. You can also warn other slugs of inconsiderate or bad drivers on the "DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST" on this forum. I do however have a problem with slugs that choose to talk on their cell phones the whole way home. Particularly because it is not their vehicle and that is most definitely being rude and disrespectful. I rode in with a driver today that decided he was going to drive 60 mph the whole way here, boy was I annoyed because he was just putting along, my solution to that is to make note of drivers you don't particularly enjoy riding with, that way you don't have to worry about being uncomfortable or aggravated again!! [;)]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 2:17pm
SlugBuddy... Annoyed with a driver doing 60 mph? Tell me you're exercising your sense of humor. Traffic would probably run more smoothly if more people would abide by the speed limit. Not to mention refraining from cutting off people who signal lane changes, lining up for exits instead of forcing their way into the line at the last minute, and numerous other idiocies seen on area roads.

As for cell phone usage in cars by drivers, give me the good old days when they didn't exist. Hands-free or not, they ARE a distraction. Some people can't carry on intense conversations with passengers without losing track of where they are.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 2:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]SlugBuddy... Annoyed with a driver doing 60 mph? Tell me you're exercising your sense of humor. Traffic would probably run more smoothly if more people would abide by the speed limit. Not to mention refraining from cutting off people who signal lane changes, lining up for exits instead of forcing their way into the line at the last minute, and numerous other idiocies seen on area roads.

As for cell phone usage in cars by drivers, give me the good old days when they didn't exist. Hands-free or not, they ARE a distraction. Some people can't carry on intense conversations with passengers without losing track of where they are.

Speed limit is 65 mph in most locations. I'd be annoyed, too.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 3:19pm
What about the ones that decide to stay n the left lane, driving under the speed limit, see a car coming faster and don't let them pass by changing to the right lane?( the car next to them are driving equal speed. Obviously, the car cannot pass either right or left)
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 4:43pm
Yes, the speed limit is 65 mph on almost the entire trip from 610 to the Pentagon yet this driver was going 60 mph at the most the WHOLE way. In my opinion, that is annoying. People were flying by like he was barely moving!! I don't mind if people speed a bit as long as they have a wide open road (which he did) and they don't jump in and out of lanes and tailgate but it wasn't my place to tell him to drive the speed limit, because it is not the passenger's place to tell the driver what to do. Like I said before, if you don't like the way a driver drives, smells, or even looks[;)], then you have the CHOICE to not ride with them and if they are really trouble, post their license plate number and vehicle description on the "DO NOT RIDE WITH" forum on here. I know I will not ride with this person again, unless I want to be late for work!!
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2004 at 8:43am
What is it from 610 to the puzzle palace, 30 miles or so on I-95? If my math is correct, your 60 mph guy gets you there in 30 minutes vice 27.5 at 65mph (roughly). Obviously, your choice on who to ride with, but is 2.5 minutes worth posting about? If you spend 30 minutes concentrating on the driver’s speedometer, a good book or the paper may prove to be something to better spend your time on. Makes the time pass like nothing else.

Cheers,

Glacier
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2004 at 10:35am
I don't think SlugBuddy check the speedometer the whole 30 minutes trip. He might check it once in a while. However, it makes it look longer driving at 60mph.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2004 at 11:43am
I whole-heartily agree; a watched pot never .......

Cheers,

Glacier
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2004 at 12:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by SlugBuddy
[br]Yes, the speed limit is 65 mph on almost the entire trip from 610 to the Pentagon yet this driver was going 60 mph at the most the WHOLE way. In my opinion, that is annoying. People were flying by like he was barely moving!! I don't mind if people speed a bit as long as they have a wide open road (which he did) and they don't jump in and out of lanes and tailgate but it wasn't my place to tell him to drive the speed limit, because it is not the passenger's place to tell the driver what to do. Like I said before, if you don't like the way a driver drives, smells, or even looks[;)], then you have the CHOICE to not ride with them and if they are really trouble, post their license plate number and vehicle description on the "DO NOT RIDE WITH" forum on here. I know I will not ride with this person again, unless I want to be late for work!!

I guess I need to drive that stretch of road. When did they convert I395 to 65MPH? I thought the limit dropped to 55 around Newington. Has Virginia thrown away the Federal guidelines regarding speed limits in metropolitan areas? If they can raise the limit on I395 to 65, why don't they do it on the Beltway? People generally do 70 MPH as it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic