Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 11:43am
Disagree Completely.

The slug rules are for the benefit of all. The no-cell phone use goes to the discomfort of being subjected to someone's one-sided (usually boring or way too personal) phone call. It has nothing to do with ownership of the vehicle.

Why should the rules operate in only one direction? The driver is benefitting from the slugging arrangement also. So slugs can't speak at all now (even about matters of safety)?

FYI: A Slug is not an "it."
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 12:11pm
I supposed when the "Etiquette and Rules" were written, the cellphones were not that popular as it is nowadays.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 12:20pm
I wanted to add something. What is it so important that you cannot wait until you get home to make a phone call? Besides, if it's an emergency or something important that you cannot wait, why do you engage in a long conversation?
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by tulipgirl67
[br]Disagree Completely.

The slug rules are for the benefit of all. The no-cell phone use goes to the discomfort of being subjected to someone's one-sided (usually boring or way too personal) phone call. It has nothing to do with ownership of the vehicle.

Why should the rules operate in only one direction? The driver is benefitting from the slugging arrangement also. So slugs can't speak at all now (even about matters of safety)?

FYI: A Slug is not an "it."

While I agree that cell phone usage should not compromise safety, it is the drivers' car. If they choose to talk on the phone and be safe about it, the slug has no input. Slug rules are for slugs (riders). The driver has complete control of his/her vehicle, even tho they benefit each other. Remember, the slug has no input whatsoever as long as safety is not an issue.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 4:09pm
vabigblue - the Etiquette "rules" apply to slugs AND drivers -- some to both, some to one or the other.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 9:53am
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]vabigblue - the Etiquette "rules" apply to slugs AND drivers -- some to both, some to one or the other.

Fully understand Arbo; however, cell phone usage for the driver is a no-brainer in my opinion. I mean, he/she (driver) should be able to use their phones whenever (safety not compromised)without any input from the rider. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Your car, your phone, your decision.

tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2004 at 8:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by KaTaNa
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I wanted to add something. What is it so important that you cannot wait until you get home to make a phone call? Besides, if it's an emergency or something important that you cannot wait, why do you engage in a long conversation?

How I choose to use my phone, albeit safely, is my business. I almost always keep my conversations short, and most of my calls are incoming AND important to ME and whomever I may be talking to.

However,I had a rider the other day who talked on the phone all the way back to the commuter lot. That WAS irritating and inconsiderate, IMHO.

I'm sure that slug thought her call was "important" too. The point is that being subjected to someone's phone conversation is just irritating, inconsiderate, and rude no matter who is making the call.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 9:58am
I agree. Rude for riders to have long cell phone calls. however, it's both rude AND dangerous for drivers to talk on cells without a hands-free set-up. and I see this ALL the time. Especially among female drivers. Especially among certain female drivers.

As a slug, I would like you drivers to:

1. Keep your hands on the wheel
2. Try to avoid going 85 mph and weaving in out.

I'm glad to help you out by catching a ride, but I'd like to arrive at work ALIVE.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 11:36am
Some people think they can execute many tasks at the same time. Truth is, you cannot concentrate doing both driving and talking on your cellphone. Once, this driver almost lost control of his vehicle when he attempted to pass a slower driver and maneuvering the steering wheel with only one hand. I don't mind if drivers are talking on the cellphone. However, since they are at the wheel, they are responsible for any reaction it might result of that.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 3:25pm
I know we all do these tasks above, roadrunner when we drive. However, adding one more will definetely have a tremendous impact in our driving. Especially, when this one let our emotions take over the rest.
I'm happy you're one of the luckiest that can perform many tasks at the same time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic