Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2004 at 1:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by SlugBuddy
[br]I think ronin and glacier missed the whole point of this post. The initial post was about driver's vs. riders rights and slug etiquette. I was simply making a point as to the fact that as a rider, if I don't like the way someone drives, etc., then I have the CHOICE to not ride with them and that a rider shouldn't tell the driver what to do while in their car.

As for the point that it only gets you there a very slight amount faster, you didn't take into consideration that if you don't pass Springfield by the time HOV opens, then you sit in a traffic back-up, this in turn makes your trip a whole lot longer than your equation states. It also doesn't account for the people who need to pick up children at their day care that get charged for every minute that their children are late being picked up. I expect the driver to at least travel the speed limit (which is 65 mph on almost the entire HOV) and if they do not, then I reserve the right to not ride with them again.

Okay, now that I've been properly educated on the speed limit issue, I can certainly see why one might be irritated at a driver running below the speed limit. Maybe that same driver is similarly unenlightened.

Of course, not being able to tell a driver how fast they can drive, or how to drive, should be a fairly familiar routine. After all, how often do you get away with telling a spouse (regardless of gender) how to drive? [:D]
tmuk View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2004 at 2:24pm
I'm with dixiedog on this one. As a slug, I would never presume to ask a driver to end a cell phone call by citing a violation of slug etiquette. I guess the only time I would intrude on a driver's phone conversation (theoretically) is if they were shouting so loudly that it was pysically uncomfortable to be in the car with them. Other than that, it's the drivers call on things like whether to talk on the phone or radio station selection (I don't think a slug is out of line to ask a driver to turn radio volume down if it is uncomfortably loud). And in the end the slug can always pass up a ride from a driver known to be discourteous or annoying. There's a black car that I won't get into any more at Horner Road because of the driver's incessant monologue all the way up to 14th St & NY.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 2:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
I guess I need to drive that stretch of road. When did they convert I395 to 65MPH? I thought the limit dropped to 55 around Newington. Has Virginia thrown away the Federal guidelines regarding speed limits in metropolitan areas? If they can raise the limit on I395 to 65, why don't they do it on the Beltway? People generally do 70 MPH as it is.

What federal guidelines? The old National Maximum Speed Limit was repealed effective December 8, 1995. Since then states may impose whatever speed limits they like, and most states outside of the northeastern US have done precisely that (the majority of states impose 70 or 75 mph on most of their Interstates).

In Virginia, the law set by the General Assembly is that Interstate highways can be posted at 65 mph, as can highways constructed pursuant to the public-private toll road law (the Greenway and the Pocahontas Parkway are the only two such roads), as well as the limited-access portion of VA-37 (a freeway bypass around Winchester). Other roads are limited to 55 mph. These are only maximums, of course, and a lower limit can be imposed where the Commonewealth decides that a lower limit will get it more ticket reve.....uhhh, gee, I guess actually they claim they do that for "safety." The 60 mph speed limit on I-95 near Potomac Mills Mall is officially there "to assist drivers in shifting from the higher rural speed limit to the 55 mph urban limit." What a load of nonsense. But anyway, to answer your question, the Beltway COULD legally be posted at 65, but they've simply refused to do it. Can't really understand it myself, but then, I think 75 to 80 is about right for much of that road.

But in any event, the express lanes have been posted at 65 for several years now except in Springfield, where the construction requires a lower limit. The local lanes are still at 55 from just south of Route 123 all the way to the 14th Street Bridge.
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 4:23pm
The HOV speed limit is 65, the speed limit on 395 and the regular lanes is 55 unless there are signs to slow down top 50 on some parts on I-95. But anyway I thought this discussion was about cellphone use [?].

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by SlugBuddy
[br]Yes, the speed limit is 65 mph on almost the entire trip from 610 to the Pentagon yet this driver was going 60 mph at the most the WHOLE way. In my opinion, that is annoying. People were flying by like he was barely moving!! I don't mind if people speed a bit as long as they have a wide open road (which he did) and they don't jump in and out of lanes and tailgate but it wasn't my place to tell him to drive the speed limit, because it is not the passenger's place to tell the driver what to do. Like I said before, if you don't like the way a driver drives, smells, or even looks[;)], then you have the CHOICE to not ride with them and if they are really trouble, post their license plate number and vehicle description on the "DO NOT RIDE WITH" forum on here. I know I will not ride with this person again, unless I want to be late for work!!

I guess I need to drive that stretch of road. When did they convert I395 to 65MPH? I thought the limit dropped to 55 around Newington. Has Virginia thrown away the Federal guidelines regarding speed limits in metropolitan areas? If they can raise the limit on I395 to 65, why don't they do it on the Beltway? People generally do 70 MPH as it is.

Mrs. B
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 3:07pm
Mrs. B... You'll find these discussions wander from time to time as folks pick up on issues within the comments. But you're right, this was about cell phones.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 9:57am
After viewing the last half of the posts on this thread, I'd say WAS is the key word. Your correct, they wander.

Cheers,

Glacier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic