Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell Phone Driver
    Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 9:48pm
Okay here is one for the group. I usually slug everyday so I think I know the rules. I thought I did at least. This one particular day I drove up and during the ride I received about three cell phone calls. Now as a slug, hey my cell phone is off but as a driver well that is a different story right? I use a hands free device so I’m good with the whole "safety" think. I had a back slug tell me, the driver, that cell phone usage was against slugging Etiquette. What the back slug dares to talk and when it does it tells me to get off the phone in my own car. Oh back slug if only I had rear ejection seats. My car my rules right. People, are you with me? It was her not me right? Looking for some affirmation here. [^]
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 8:25am
You are absolutely correct "Dog". Your car, your rules. The slug is the one who abides by those rules. That ejection seat would probably enforce those rules as well. LOL.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 10:27am
"Dog", I too support you on this situation 110%. [:D] I can't believe someone would actually "tell" the driver [:0] what to do in their vehicle. No I must admit, I have on occasion, have asked the driver if they were O.K. when I caught them nodding off at the wheel, but I believe that's a totally different animal. [;)] Ejection seat huh...[?]
remowilms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remowilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 1:13pm
Dixeedog.. you are right. It's your car and besides as you said it's not a safety issue. I'm with you on the ejection seat thing too.[:D]
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 1:55pm
Yep with you "Dog". :)
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 3:47pm
Unbelievable...
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 9:46am
Sounds like you were in the right to me. Most slugs that I have picked up have been very polite but there are always a few that make it difficult. Same goes for drivers I suppose.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 11:00am
While I agree that its the driver's car, in this case the driver is not only endangering their life, but the passengers lives as well. According to a study published in Consumers Reports some time ago, they found little difference between those who used "hands off" cell phones and those who used regular cell phones. However, other actions that ranked just as bad were fiddling with the car stereo and trying to read (e.g. maps, newspapers) while driving. I do not own a cell phone, but when I had to carry one as part of my job, I always pulled off the rode (or onto the berm) before answering it. I've been in several cars where the drivers were yakking on their cell phones and almost rear-ended someone.

Another issue that people on cell phones may not realize is that the others can clearly hear what they're saying. One lady driver was having a VERY personal conversation on her phone and turned her radio up (probably so us 2 slugs wouldn't hear her), but then she had to yell to make herself heard, with the result that we heard all about her husbands medical problems and other shortcomings. She finally hung up right before the 610 exit, and probably didn't realize we heard everything until I wished her a goodnight and said I hope everything works out OK.
95slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 11:09am
I agree with dixieedog that the slugger was out of line, but what do you all think about this one: I once rode with a woman who, using a hands-free headset, participated in a very involved conference call the entire trip - all the way up 95 and 14th Street. She did most of the talking, and by the time we got to the 14th Street Bridge I was starting to wonder how the other rider and I were going to let her know where we needed to get out. At about Independence she finally asked, whispering, where did we need to get out, then went back to her call. She was still talking when we got out at F Street. Hands free is fine for short calls, but when you're that involved in a call, your attention is not fully where it needs to be, which is on the road.
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2004 at 2:23pm
I agree to a certain extent about cellphone usage, I totally agree that the rider was out of line telling you what to do in your car,(Next time that happens ask if they will help out with the next car payment and insurance payment).My family and my job know that if they must call me on my cellphone to make it quick, I don't do long conversations while I am trying to concentrate on driving, you can always tell when you are riding behind someone that is engaged in a cellular conversation, they are driving slower then slow.To wrap this up I often wonder how it is we did without cellphones all these years, and now if you don't have a cellphone you just can't seem to function hummmmmmmmm!!!

Mrs. B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic