Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug lines in Centreville/Fairfax area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug lines in Centreville/Fairfax area
    Posted: 06 Apr 2004 at 3:19pm
Does anyone know about any slug lines in the Centreville/Fairfax area, such as where they are located and what time you need to be there to get a ride to downtown? Thanks.[:)]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2004 at 3:52pm
Never heard of such sluglines in Centreville/Fairfax area. Sorry.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2004 at 4:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by acr
[br]Does anyone know about any slug lines in the Centreville/Fairfax area, such as where they are located and what time you need to be there to get a ride to downtown? Thanks.[:)]

acr - go to "coordinated rides home" on this site and there may be something that interest you. Good luck!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 6:12am
ACR,
There have been attemps at getting a slug line started in the Centreville area but it just never caught on. There was even one in the Herndon area but it didn't last. Sorry.
acr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 9:12am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]ACR,
There have been attemps at getting a slug line started in the Centreville area but it just never caught on. There was even one in the Herndon area but it didn't last. Sorry.

acr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 9:19am
quote:
Originally posted by acr
[br]Does anyone know about any slug lines in the Centreville/Fairfax area, such as where they are located and what time you need to be there to get a ride to downtown? Thanks.[:)]

I moved here from Lake Ridge and the slug lines from the old Hechinger's lot was pretty efficient. I'm finding that either there aren't any slug lines here in the Fairfax/Centreville area or people just arent' as anxious to pick up slugs out here. I think one reason for that is that it seems there is not such a clear cut advantage to being able to get in the HOV lanes on 66. I've noticed in driving to the Vienna metro that there are times when the HOV lane is not moving very much faster than the non-HOV lanes. Not only that, but there is cheating that goes on, i.e., non-HOV vehicles driving in the HOV lanes. Getting into a carpool is not as easy as I thought it would be either. Maybe if they made a separate HOV lane, that was separated by a concrete wall and raised the HOV restriction to 3, then the slug lines would be more successful. Just my 2 cents worth.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 9:28am
acr,
FYI ... The same HOV violator problems you mention on I-66 also occur on the US 50 and I-270 HOV-2 lanes in Maryland. Those lanes are also not barriered from the non-HOV lanes. [:)]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 11:18am
It doesn't make any sense having and HOV lane not barried from the regular lanes.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 12:45pm
Actually it doesn't make much sense. Back in the day before the I-95 HOV lanes were barriered south of Springfield, nothing but violators were there. The extreme left lane was the HOV lane, but it was impossible to keep violators out because everybody was already co-mingled together. Once the powers that be in those areas see the only way to improve traffic flow is to put up barriers, I'm afraid you're gonna be inundated with violators.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 1:41pm
FWIW .. I hear the non-barriered HOV-2 lanes along I-264 between downtown Norfolk and Virginia Beach work pretty well. It may be because the supply of other lanes meets the demands of the non-HOV single occupant vehicles. There are also barriered HOV-2 lanes from the Norfolk Navy Base to Virginia Beach and Chesapeake that work just like the HOV-3 lanes along I-95/395 here. Does anyone have first hand HOV experience in the Tidewater area they can share with us? [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic