Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWashington Post reporter seeks help on hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 2:28pm
IMO ....
When it comes to hybrids in the HOV lanes ...
"Nearly ALL hybrids are 'slugless'", and
"Hybrids should be 'slugged'". [:D]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2004 at 1:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]Bob, I might add that some hybrids don't have the "CF" plates and some are from out of state, so we can probably add another 1-2% for those. Thanks

If I remember correctly from a Dr. Gridlock (Washington Post) article, the HOV exemption only applies to those vehicles with the CF tags. Those without and out-of-state hybrids run the risk of getting ticketed, depending on the generosity of the boys in blue.
leblanc9425 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leblanc9425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2004 at 10:38pm
Steve,
I am opposed to allowing hybrid's use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV). From my recollection, the HOV lanes were constructed as a result of the oil crises in the late 70's. Basically this was the government's attempt to encourage carpooling to reduce gas consumption but the only way they could encourage carpooling was to provide a real advantage - a shorter commute. If you were willing to carpool you were rewarded with less traffic and a faster commute. Clean air and reduced emission were a byproduct otherwise they would have been called "Clean Air Lanes"...

I applaud those who wish to purchase clean fuel vehicles, but are they really purchasing them for clean air or are they really just trying to shorten their commute? How many CF vehicles do you see on I95?

If you really want to make the case for the environment, the government should mandate that CF vehicles should NOT be allowed on the HOV where they are using their combustion engine and not the battery. To really maximize the advantages of the vehicle it should be used at low speeds (to use the battery) and in stop and go traffic which, by the way, is I95 not the HOV!

Now let's take this CF vehicle exemption to the logical extension if continued.
1) Instead of one vehicle on the road with three passengers you now have three vehicles with a single occupant each. But, it's actually more line 5 or 10 times the volume because a three fold increase only accounts for the people willing to carpool in the first place. There are thousands more who are unwilling to tolerate the insignificant inconvienences of carpooling. For the first time in their lives, they will become temporarily concerned with the environment and pretend it has nothing to do with the commute.
2) The three hybrid vehicle probably emit more emissions than the one non-hybrid it tends to replace.
3) Instead of one non-hybrid vehicle, there are now three hybrid vehicles on the highways which results in more highway maintenance. If pot holes are created after, say 100,000 vehicles, pass a give spot, then you have just triple the maintenance costs for the state.
4) Parking, already at a premium in DC, become even more expensive as more vehicle must find parking.
5) Worst of all, the HOV become worthless as an incentive to encourage high occupancy. If the HOV does not provide an advantage to sharing your car, then most people simply won't rideshare.

If CF vehicle were really about clean air and the environment, and not about the commute, then they should be held to the same standard as other vehiles and be required to have three occupants.
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 3:36pm
I received my CF plates in the mail just 12 days after I bought my 2004 hybrid. I went to DMV in March, the day after I purchased my car and registered the car in my name. I then filled out a form available on the VA DMV site (http://www.dmvnow.com) and I faxed it to the DMV, who mailed me the plates a few days later. The key was that I resgistered my car myself, instead of letting the dealer take care of it. I can now drive on the HOV lanes by myself if I want to.

I am sorry that some sluggers are hostile towards hybrids and hybrid drivers. I picked up slugs in my last car, but I have not yet done so in my hybrid. I am enjoying my shortened 2 to 2.5 hour commute (each way) on my own for now. Picking up slug added only 15-25 minutes, so I may do that again soon.

I have not noticed an HOV congestion problem due to hybrids. I often drive HOV northbound around 8:30 AM, and the HOV lanes are nearly empty, while the SLOW lanes are packed and moving at 25MPH. I do not feel guilty about this, because I am not causing any harm. Perhaps at 7AM there is a big congestion problem due to hybrid cars? Any facts on this?

If hybrids (and alternative fuel vehicles) somehow take over the HOV lanes before 2006, I agree that we should consider halting the Clean Fuel HOV incentive.

-K2

quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]You'll see a lot of hybrids in the HOV lanes without CF plates due to Virginia DMV consolidating all the CF plates to one location. This also explains why some 2004 models are issued plates that start with 3###CF.

From a co-worker: "When you buy a hybrid, you get a temporary paper tag good for at least 30 days, then you will be issued a normal, non-CF plate. After receiving the normal plates, you then have to apply for a CF plate and pay an extra $10. This whole process involves about 40 days before you finally get the CF plate via mail."

"What most of these hybrid drivers [*without CF plates*] fail to realize is that the State Police *will* issue you a ticket if you don't have 3 or more in your hybrid. The auto dealer who sells you the car should warn you; otherwise, make him pay your ticket if you get one. Don't fall for the 'Oh, state troopers can tell the difference between a hybrid and non-hybrid Civic by looking at the antenna and the wheels.'"

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 10:47am
K2 - where are you slugging to and from. 2 to 2.5 hours each way???? You must be from Richmond! [?]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 12:13pm
Vabigblue, I was going to ask the same question.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 1:04pm
Well, I obviously can't speak for K2, but I live in Fredericksburg and it can easily take 2 hours to get to and from work. I leave home at 6:30am and get to work by 8:30 (8 if it's a light day). It's just as long in the evenings.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]Well, I obviously can't speak for K2, but I live in Fredericksburg and it can easily take 2 hours to get to and from work. I leave home at 6:30am and get to work by 8:30 (8 if it's a light day). It's just as long in the evenings.

I guess that probably explains it. I didn't realize it took that long. Maybe I concentrate only on Tacketts; therefore anything outside of 1 hour (which is far too long) is foreign.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 8:39am
I agree, va. Anything more than an hour (max) is too long. It's definitely not something I'll be able to do indefinitely.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 1:18pm
I can relate to the time K2 takes because I to live out of Fredericksburg and then off to the east 10 plus miles. 2 hrs is usually the norm.[|)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic