Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWashington Post reporter seeks help on hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 11:18am
In regard to the hybrid article, I am glad it got published because this issue needs a lot more coverage. However, the tone of the article was generally pro hybrid, which doesn't surprise me. I believe the Post is also pro HOT. It did mention that the automakers are planning to swamp the US market with hybrids within a few years. It did not mention that some of us are trying to have the hybrid sport utes excluded before they come out this fall. The way this thing works, once something is allowed on, it MUST be legitimate... (NOT!)

Bob
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 11:21am
Not all hybrid drivers get a tax break; for example, if you buy a used hybrid, you get no deduction at all. Anyway the tax arguement is a weak one, considering that many folks who get Metrochek get a pre-tax break, too. So perhaps sluggers who don't want to be bothered with facing hybrids clogging the HOV lanes should take Metro or VRE and recoup that tax break.
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 1:17pm
BTW, my quotes, I believe, reflect what most of you (us) feel.
"I have nothing against hybrids, but I think it's time to get them to pull their weight,"
"I've never seen a hybrid with three people in it."

Jim
LisaDeanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 3:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by motownldy199

And for the people snickering and LisaDeanna, give me a break. None of us is too 'good' to take a bus.

Who said anything about people being too good to take the bus?

On days when I can get by without having a car in the city the bus between Herndon and West Falls Church is the best option. The vast majority of my fellow riders are very courteous and I've never had a problem with a driver.

My only complaint would be that the buses are so crowded sometimes that I can't get a seat...
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 9:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by LisaDeanna
[br]
quote:

And for the people snickering and LisaDeanna, give me a break. None of us is too 'good' to take a bus.

Who said anything about people being too good to take the bus?

On days when I can get by without having a car in the city the bus between Herndon and West Falls Church is the best option. The vast majority of my fellow riders are very courteous and I've never had a problem with a driver.

My only complaint would be that the buses are so crowded sometimes that I can't get a seat...

Lisa, I was actually defending you and couldn't edit my comment, it should have read "snickering at LisaDeanna."

I'm on the same side as you are.

BTW, Chris Core did a radio show on this subject--and a rather misinformed one--tonight. (For example, he didn't know anything about the CF plates) Most of his callers, most of them from Montgomery County, think that the hybrid inclusion was OK. He thinks it should be recinded, too.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2004 at 7:42am
quote:
[br]Not all hybrid drivers get a tax break; for example, if you buy a used hybrid, you get no deduction at all. Anyway the tax arguement is a weak one, considering that many folks who get Metrochek get a pre-tax break, too. So perhaps sluggers who don't want to be bothered with facing hybrids clogging the HOV lanes should take Metro or VRE and recoup that tax break.

Is your hybrid used?
LisaDeanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2004 at 9:24am
quote:

Lisa, I was actually defending you and couldn't edit my comment, it should have read "snickering at LisaDeanna."

I'm on the same side as you are.

Gothcha. Thanks. [8D]
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2004 at 11:27am
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]
quote:
[br]Not all hybrid drivers get a tax break; for example, if you buy a used hybrid, you get no deduction at all. Anyway the tax arguement is a weak one, considering that many folks who get Metrochek get a pre-tax break, too. So perhaps sluggers who don't want to be bothered with facing hybrids clogging the HOV lanes should take Metro or VRE and recoup that tax break.

Is your hybrid used?

Yes it is. My husband didn't like the design of the '04 Prius and we didn't want to wait for one (the waits are now up to 8 months to a year long in some areas). So we bought an '02. We didn't mind about the tax deduction--we just needed a car for my commute ASAP.

Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 4:13pm
What I love about this whole thread is that people keep using the argument that hybrids are cleaner so the HOV exemption makes sense. What people fail to realize is that the honda civic hybrid that gets the "SULEV" rating in California is a different car than the civic hybrid sold here. They have different emission systems and they are being run on different gas. Same goes for the Insight. Go read all the fine print on the honda website(http://www.hondacars.com/images/banners/2004/civic_hybrid/civic_hybrid_factsheet.pdf). The Honda hybrids around here are actually dirty compared to most new small and mid-size cars. The Prius sold here and in California is the exact same car, but the SULEV rating only applies when using gas that is only available in California.
The Prius is the cleanest of the hybrids, but there are regular cars that have the exact same emissions as the Prius. There are a ton of cars that have better emmissions than the Honda hybrids that are sold here.
If you are going to keep using the SULEV rated/cleaner emissions argument, you should first take a look at the list of all cars that are just as clean as the hybrids on this site:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/ccvl/2004sulevpzevlist.htm

Some of these cars are available here, some of them aren't like the cleaner version of the Honda hybrids.
So for all the people driving hybrids by themselves in the HOV that think they are cleaning up our air, sorry you aren't. The person driving a Ford Focus with two other people is the one that is really making a difference.

Here's a nice quote from www.driveclean.ca.gov
"Gasoline vehicles meeting PZEV emissions standards sometimes have even lower emissions than hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles."
I suppose we should let all these cars have the HOV exemption also? It makes as much sense as the hybrid exemption.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 7:13am
Thank you for the info, wagonman. It is definetely interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic