Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lines from Woodbridge to Springfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lines from Woodbridge to Springfield
    Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 4:28pm
Are there any slug lines that travel between Woodbridge and Springfield. I would imagine it would be a bit cumbersome for someone to drive all the way to the city (or points in between) and travel back to Springfield or fighting the traffic on 123. If there are, can you please tell which lots? Thank you.[:D]

Shani Davis
Woodbridge, VA
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2004 at 12:44pm
Shani93, as a matter of fact, I once had to drive all the way to the city to drop off a slug, take my daughter to my mother in law's in Springfield and return to Horner Rd. to park my car. I left home around 6:45am and I got to Horner Rd. around 8:15am. Never tried to do that again. It would be nice to know that there is a slug line Woodbridge-Springfield just in case I'm in the need of doing that again.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 10:44am
I don't believe there are slug lines from Woodbridge to Springfield. I do know there is an Omniride from some parts of Woodbridge to the Metro station at Springfield Mall. Thanks
Shani93 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 10:56am
Who determines the slug line availability and who would I need to contact to suggest such a line from Woodbridge to Springfield. I am sure there are plenty of people that would go to Springfield Metro and for the individuals working not quite in the city, going to Springfield Metro would lessen their travel time in the morning.

Shani Davis
Woodbridge, VA
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 12:22pm
Make your request known just as you're doing and maybe someone will come up with something. Address an email or post a message to "Admin" and maybe he/she has an answer. Slugging is determine by supply and demand, so if you obtain enough riders and drivers, it should develop. Thanks
bordercollies2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bordercollies2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2004 at 6:01pm
Shani93,
I'm interested in driving slugs from Woodbridge to the Springfield Metro. Are you looking to drive or ride?
Shani93 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2004 at 10:01am
I am not looking to ride or drive. I am actually asking for someone else that works near Springfield and wanted information on a line from Woodbridge to Springfield. I imagine there are going to be some who would want a line and if the bus is late or missed, you have the option of slugging in. My intentions are to go to the appropriate person(s) and find out how to get the lines established.

Shani Davis
Woodbridge, VA
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2004 at 1:15pm
quote:
My intentions are to go to the appropriate person(s) and find out how to get the lines established.

There is no one person who establishes a line--lines rise and fall by whether there are people out there who feel that it would be a useful service, and on whether people view the location as reliable. There is no way for one person to "establish" a line by fiat if other people don't also feel that it would be worthwhile.

For example, the line at Bob's in Springfield has been around for years because drivers know they can count on finding people there to pick up, which in turn causes riders to know that they can count on finding a ride. In contrast, there's been an effort to start a line at Springfield Mall (across I-95); presumably, some of the riders and drivers for Springfield Mall would come from Bob's, but the problem is that the riders are reluctant to go there because they're afraid that the drivers won't go there, and if the drivers show up and find no riders, they don't go back because they don't want to waste time, so then any riders who DO go there have trouble getting a ride and they don't come back either.

If your friend wants to start a line from Woodbridge to Springfield, the thing to do would be to figure out, first, is there a base of people in Woodbridge who commute to Springfield; second, does that base include a mixture of people who drive (who will become the drivers who pick up the sluggers) and people who use other methods (the bus or the VRE, for example) because the people who use other methods will become the riders (i.e., the sluggers); third, what's a good pickup point in Woodbridge that will still preserve the riders' access to public transport if they can't get a ride (so you need to be near the bus or the VRE); and fourth, what's a good place in Springfield to drop riders in the morning and pick them up later?

Then your friend has to get word to the people who commute from Woodbridge to Springfield. A slug line is no good if the commuters don't know about it! Posting flyers at the VRE station and the bus stop might be a good way to start, assuming that the management allows it (I can see why they might not--a slug line would take away business). This web page might help a bit, but I would wager that most potential users of a Woodbridge-to-Springfield line don't read this board because they have no reason to. Then cross your fingers and hope people like the idea!
Shani93 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2004 at 1:19pm
Thank you. I will let them know what they need to do. Is there some way to use this website to ask about a new slug line or is the message board the best way.

Shani Davis
Woodbridge, VA
msshauna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msshauna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 10:43am
If anyone is interested, I'd like to start a carpool from Woodbridge to Springfeild or Alexandria and back. I would like to meet anywhere in Woodbridge around 6:45am and then in Sprinfield around 5:15pm. Thanks! We would be taking my car everyday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic