Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fed up on toll road? email: slug@cox.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 3:50pm
That's good to know. I'll have to make up a sign and try my luck on my next drive through. Thanks.
LisaDeanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 3:39pm
I came through at around 7:50 am. No trouble from the bus personnel that I noticed. I have to admit I was a bit flustered since it was my first time taking a slug, much less in an area not terribly familiar with the concept. I held up my sign reading "Ride to Rosslyn" for less than a minute and someone took the opportunity.

I pulled up to the kiss n ride area just across from the line where people wait for the 980 to WFC.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 3:30pm
LD... More specifics, please. What time did you come through? Was it the 980 stop? Did there appear to be interest amongst others in the line? Was there any flack from the bus personnel?

I drive downtown two days a week, and it would be nice to use 66 and the HOV.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2004 at 9:11am
Success on the Toll Road! Ok - I am all excited because, for the first time, I picked up a slug at the Herndon Monroe Park and Ride. It saved me SO much time. I will definitely be doing this again on the days I need to have my car in the city. I think a lot of people saw me so hopefully others will try it too.

I was worried that no one what understand what I was doing since slugging is not a regular thing for Toll Road commuters, but a nice fellow saw my "To Rosslyn" sign and stepped out of the bus line to ride in with me.

I hope others will try it too.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 4:21pm
That seems like a decent place, too. I think ideally the location would be reasonably low-traffic, near a metro station (in case a slug can't find a ride), and as close as possible to I-66 (to avoid downtown back-tracking which can be a major time-waste). Any other criteria that would be helpful to consider?

I understand why they tried Rosslyn before (convenience, easy access) - but I imagine that's just not as much of a final destination for people as downtown or even the Pentagon for example.)
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 3:48pm
Another possible downtown pickup/drop-off point could be by McPherson Square in front of the VA offices at 16th and H/I. Low traffic density on that particular portion of the road, Metro access, and very wide street. I'm sure other slugs could nominate potential pickup/drop-off points, then centrally located spots could be selected.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 3:13pm
I work downtown, too. its hard to think of a spot downtown where pick-ups and drop-offs could happen without interfering with traffic. Just brainstorming here: maybe designate a centrally located meeting place downtown and then walk to the driver's car. Possibly - Farragut Park (by Farragut West Metro).

Or any decent places to drop-off/pickup directly to the car?
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 2:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by LisaDeanna
[br]I would be interested in slugging (or driving) from Herndon park and ride. I will gladly help get things going, too. Post here on how I can help. Maybe we could have a meeting some evening to discuss a plan to get this going? Hand out flyers to people getting on the buses? Other ideas? The Toll Road NEEDS a slug line.

One idea would be to expand the end points. The line that was tried was to/from Rosslyn. I work downtown, and I know the 980 to WFC is normally pretty full, so I'm betting a lot of folks are going beyond. What about runs between H/M and downtown or the Pentagon?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaDeanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 1:41pm
I would be interested in slugging (or driving) from Herndon park and ride. I will gladly help get things going, too. Post here on how I can help. Maybe we could have a meeting some evening to discuss a plan to get this going? Hand out flyers to people getting on the buses? Other ideas? The Toll Road NEEDS a slug line.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 12:09pm
There seems to be some sort of informal slugging/carpooling going on from Herndon-Monroe. On days that I take the bus/Metro in to town, I see cars waiting inside the garage for riders. These may be carpools that have been arranged, but there does seem to be an audience out there. I both drive and bus/Metro it in, so it would be nice to have options.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic