Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Horner Road Split Working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisckey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 4:15pm
Well, I haven't slugged yet, was off work yesterday and had to go in late today - but was shocked to learn that the lines split? I like the idea, but I forsee a problem: people like me that normally arrive at the line (I'm an 18th person) and are scouring for parking spots are going to be inhibited on the days that there is a long line of 14th drivers, blocking those last few available parking spots at 7:30am...maybe I'm wrong (hopefully so) but I guess I'll see tomorrow as my first morning back to work...
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 11:08pm
Let's see how it goes with time.
HornerRoad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HornerRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 10:08am
Separating the L'Enfant Plaza line from the 14th Street line lessens my chance of catching a quick ride. I try to catch a ride to L'Enfant Plaza to catch the green line, but often I find it faster to catch a ride to 14th & Independence to Smithsonian station. Only one very quick extra stop.

It also lessens the chances for cars headed for L'Enfant Plaza. Many cars headed for L'Enfant are willing to take passengers to 14th & Independence when there aren't enough L'Enfant people there. While picking up L'Enfant passengers may be okay for cars heading for the Navy Yard, it's doesn't work well the other way around. It's certainly not quick to drop off at the Navy Yard and head back to L'Enfant.

Also, I don't understand why the 18th Street line was kept at the original loading area and the other lines were moved. I always find that it's the cars heading for 18th St. that hold up the line because they end up having to actually wait for passengers.

datzjl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datzjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 2:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Although it has only been one day, I would like to get feedback on how the Horner Road slug line split is working. I understand that the first day was somewhat confusing because not everyone was aware of the change.

In a way, slugging was a victim of its own success. As its popularity grew, the volume of cars became a problem as they spilled out onto Telegraph Road. When this happened and it became a real safety issue, the police had to step in to redirect traffic and issue citations. So, something needed to be done to prevent this from happening again.

The options presented were those of slugs and drivers (NOT VDOT or PWC). All the options presented were great and each could have worked to solve the problem. The option to keep 14th,L'Enfant, and Navy Yard together but use the perimeter of the commuter lot to stage cars had the most support so that is what was started on Wednesday, 21 April.

The one complaint thus far has been the slightly longer walk to the line and standing in the parking area itself (instead of on the curb). If it would be safer, the line could move to the curb.

Janis Datz
jhatton1980 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatton1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 3:09pm
There seems to be a lot of discussion on the length of the 18th street line.

I have been slugging to 18th street out of this lot every day since it opened.

I am here to tell you that the only consistency is that there is no consistency.

When I got to the line on Thursday (around 6:45) there were 4 cars just waiting for riders.

When I got there today, Friday (also around 6:45), there were twelve people already waiting for rides. No cars to be seen. When I finally got a ride, I looked back down the line. There were at least twelve more people waiting behind me. And no more cars in site.

Compare with 14th street, where there is a very consistent flow of cars. It definitely makes sense to me to move that big flow off the street and out of the way of the buses.

There might be a back up of 18th street cars one day (and not the next) but it will be 5 or 6 cars, not 10, 15, or 30. Certainly never enough to go out to Telegraph Rd.

In the past there were days where I would wait till I got to the front of the line, then, when I was first, I would reverse course and start walking the line looking for a car heading to 18th. It was not uncommon for me to walk to the end of the ine, three quarters of the way to Telegraph Road, and not find a ride to 18th. So there I would stand waiting.

Summary: I am very happy with the new formation.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 12:56pm
I'm not 100% happy with the new formation but as long as it's the best for everyone I'll live with it. Something had to be done and I understand that.
Ever since the new formation was implemented, I'm getting to Horner Rd. after 8am. Before that, the days I was at Horner Rd. at that hour, I always found several cars waiting for slugs going to 14th st. Now, I don't see that many cars for 14th st. anymore. Is that a pattern or riders got discourage?
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 1:15pm
I'm glad the lines are split, but I have noticed that 14th drivers have dropped markedly. I got to a very long line at 7:20am today, waited probably 15 minutes for a ride, and the line was even longer when I finally got into a car (the line was much longer than I had ever seen it pre-split!). I don't know what is going on, but the lack of drivers at that hour was rather disconcerting.

quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I'm not 100% happy with the new formation but as long as it's the best for everyone I'll live with it. Something had to be done and I understand that.
Ever since the new formation was implemented, I'm getting to Horner Rd. after 8am. Before that, the days I was at Horner Rd. at that hour, I always found several cars waiting for slugs going to 14th st. Now, I don't see that many cars for 14th st. anymore. Is that a pattern or riders got discourage?

Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 2:08pm
You're right PB1974, I am a driver and I think I am going to go back to picking up at Potomac in the mornings and drop off at Horner in the evenings, a lot of what was said earlier is true I too have almost hit a couple of people trying to get to the line, one lady refused to move over and I couldn't go around her so I had to drive slowly behind her like I was a stalker [:p] following her.And when old man winter comes and those big beautiful snow hills that the county piles up it going to be special, but what can you do the lot was not designed with sluglines in mind!![:D]

Mrs. B
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 2:47pm
That's what I though. I'm not the only one that thinks drivers for 14th street have reduced lately.
ering View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2004 at 3:09pm
I agree - the number of cars has severly decreased. I hope that this is not a sign of things to come.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic