Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Horner Road Split Working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerngirl-nola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2004 at 3:40pm
For 14th St., I think the cars should turn in the first parking lot(on the right) and pick up slugs where we originally were. This will stop the line of cars on Telegraph and stop this long walk(since most of 14th St. riders park in what is called the 2nd and last lots).
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 12:07pm
The strange thing is that there's no more slugs and few drivers. It's few drivers and same amount of slugs. So, that's what it raised the question, where are all the drivers?
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 12:27pm
I didn't slug this morning because I had a friend that picked me up. I noticed the slugs decided to lined up in the curbside parallel to the main road. I think that's better than it was before.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 12:28pm
Do you think they're "telecommuting"? Or did they just get their new hybrids and no longer need a slug or two? 'Tis puzzling. [;)]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 12:34pm
LOL, sludge. Hey, if they are telecommuting, I want to know so I can do it too. [:D]
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2004 at 1:37pm
I slugged this morning, and like emancilla said, we were on the sidewalk. It was much better. Plus, the way it is situated, the people in the middle and towards the back of the line can hear the drivers' destinations when they call them out. Hopefully it will stay there.
cwhitlock View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhitlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 10:25am
I am a 14th Street rider and occasional driver. Split is ok for now; however, make the front of the line at the corner, that way the cars pull to the front of the line to load the riders and are able to keep the movement of the cars moving, rather than have the riders walk aimlessly in confusion (You've been trying to flip the direction of the lines for months, now is the time to do it). Also have the cars make the turn at the first entrance and line up around the perimeter of the lot. If you try putting another line within the lot, you are going to cause congestion for those parking and those trying to pick up riders. The gentleman that tried to move the L'Enfant,Navy Yard line: it was worth the try, but it did not work. If everyone would print out the current information of the Horner line and give it to at least five people we could keep the line of communication open. Many that I have spoken with don't realize or can't figure out the latest plan of action. Up until about two weeks ago I did not have the location of the website. It is a great tool and I thank the veteran slugger that gave me the "correct" location of it.

Let'all keep on sharing our ideas; we are bound to come up with a solution everyone can live with.

emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 12:57pm
I've seen some drivers trying to catch slugs between isles before they get to the slug-line.

Some of the slugs that don't want to do the long walk(actually, it's not that far from where it was before)accept the offer.
This occurs when there's a long line of cars.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 1:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I've seen some drivers trying to catch slugs between isles before they get to the slug-line.

Some of the slugs that don't want to do the long walk(actually, it's not that far from where it was before)accept the offer.
This occurs when there's a long line of cars.

Excuse me, but isn't this a violation of slug pick-up rules, not to mention a great discourtesy to those slugs already in line? I know I'd be pretty torqued, both as a driver and a slug, to watch some car pick up folks at the wrong end of the line just to speed up his commute.

I guess what's needed here is proper etiquette on the part of both sluggers and drivers. Folks need to get in line, wait their turns, and stop trying to circumvent the system. Otherwise, things might get really ugly.
billchang2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2004 at 2:42pm
Working OK but line for 14th- Lenfant- Navy Yard is too long. I suggest we
1) split the line at the south east turn just before the cars line up on the eastern end of the lot. We could use the left lane for LE/NY riders and the painted island at the south end of the row as a place to pick them up. Then we'd use the right lane and the existing pickup spot (in the lot, not out on the curb- too much road and bus noise to hear the destinations) for the 14th st. riders. I'll draw a diagram and post them in the lot. Any reaction to this?

My other thought 2) is that since the volume is much higher for 14/LE/NY is much higher than 18th St, we should consider switching for that reason. Does anyone know who made the choice for the existiing lines. My input was to have them as 14/18 and LE/NY. Thanks. Slug on!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic