Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Horner Road Split Working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2004 at 11:44am
The problem is that there's not too many slugs for L'Enfant and NY. At least not at 7:45am. You can find 6-8 cars in front of the line waiting for those destinations while all the cars n the back are for 14th. The suggestion to split 14th and LE/NY into two different slug-lines is a good idea.
carriageford View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carriageford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2004 at 1:01pm
I used Horner Road lot only once after the line split. First I was mis-directed to the 14th street line and once I found the correct line had to stand for over fifteen minutes for a ride because the cars in front were going to LeEnfant, didn't have passengers and couldn't move without exiting the parking lot, then people coming up from the parking lot were getting in cars at the end of the line, and the people in front of me wouldn't walk down the line. It was too confusing for me. I've been going to Hechingers or Potomac Mills since then.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2004 at 3:45pm
As a 14th street person, I wish we could split the lines between 14th, L'enfant, and Navy Yard, but I understand that it would be detrimental to the latter two, so I'll deal with the long line.

I'm not sure I really get your first suggestion (I am a visual person and need markers to understand the "directions" you gave), but I do highly object to having the pickup spot in the lot. That creates chaos and is dangerous. This morning the line was on the sidewalk and it was the most peaceful I had ever seen it (you can hear the destinations, btw).

I definitely don't think the new set-up is a perfect solution, but let's see if we can get used to this before we go changing things again. But please, riders, line up on the sidewalk! :)

quote:
Originally posted by billchang2
[br]Working OK but line for 14th- Lenfant- Navy Yard is too long. I suggest we
1) split the line at the south east turn just before the cars line up on the eastern end of the lot. We could use the left lane for LE/NY riders and the painted island at the south end of the row as a place to pick them up. Then we'd use the right lane and the existing pickup spot (in the lot, not out on the curb- too much road and bus noise to hear the destinations) for the 14th st. riders. I'll draw a diagram and post them in the lot. Any reaction to this?

My other thought 2) is that since the volume is much higher for 14/LE/NY is much higher than 18th St, we should consider switching for that reason. Does anyone know who made the choice for the existiing lines. My input was to have them as 14/18 and LE/NY. Thanks. Slug on!

JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2004 at 8:59am
I will be slugging W-F this week and will provide feedback from early time. I usually arrive in line around 5:40-5:50 and usually receive a ride 5:55-6:15.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2004 at 11:22am
That would be a good feedback. Thank you JimH.
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 7:54am
The slug line was a mess this morning. I don't know if it looks this way every day, but I have some suggestions to "clean it up". I'm doing research on some things right now and will provide more later today.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 8:40am
When I drove into the lot this morning, the 14th people were lined up on the sidewalk. By the time I parked and walked to the line, the line was in the parking lot! Can't we have some consistency here? I am really starting to hate this lot.
5thGrp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thGrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 2:28pm
I am a driver. I arrive at Horner commuter lot between 7:45 and 8:00. By then parking in "1" and "2" is full, and cars are streaming in to "3". It seems to me it is a foregone conclusion that a late slug line will form there soon.
JimH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 2:42pm
5thGrp, Interesting perspective...it sounds like a possibility...BUT what about those people already in line on the other side of the lot? Starting a new line later in the morning could cause other riders to miss out.
5thGrp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thGrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2004 at 10:09am
quote:
Originally posted by JimH
[br]5thGrp, Interesting perspective...it sounds like a possibility...BUT what about those people already in line on the other side of the lot? Starting a new line later in the morning could cause other riders to miss out.

Re the 18th line - visibility is good for both drivers and riders and common sense could dictate the shift. As for 14th etc., the line seems to switch from the lot to the sidewalk and back again. If it remained on the sidewalk, they could have the same advantage.

The biggest factor is the time of morning. If it's 7:45 or later, chances are the 3rd lot is the better choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic